• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 GeoffB

GeoffB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 05:29 AM

Perhaps I'm not understanding the logic but I seem to experience inconsistency when searching for text data held within the various Notes fields.

I retain substantial amounts of information in the various 'Notes' field - either the general or family notes or the notes fields attached to individual facts. To locate text within these fields you can, of course, use the 'Find' facility and select either 'Any Fact' and search on 'note' contains xxxxx or search the Notes (general) or (family) contains xxxxx.

However, I find that sometimes this will locate a word or phase and sometimes not. The inconsistency can apply to finding different words within the same Notes field and is not apparently case-specific.

Can someone explain. Am I mis-using the logic? Also, since I often cannot recall which notes field I have used, is it possible to seach all the notes fields in one hit?

#2 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6268 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 08:16 AM

I think the answer is "No" to all three questions. If there is some inconsistent behaviour in the search results, it will be very difficult for anyone to provide a test case that a programmer could debug. An impediment to searching all the notes fields in one hit is that they are in multiple tables. There are also Place notes, Source notes and maybe some others that did not spring to mind. It's not impossible, just more difficult and, I think all would agree, very desirable.

A corollary is that the Search results need to be more helpful than simply returning the Person(s) for whom there is a match in some Note field leaving the user to have to delve into that Person's facts to find the matching Note, the occurrence of the search term and its context. Google provides an example of what we should be seeing.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#3 Glenn

Glenn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 562 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 12:03 PM

A corollary is that the Search results need to be more helpful than simply returning the Person(s) for whom there is a match in some Note field leaving the user to have to delve into that Person's facts to find the matching Note, the occurrence of the search term and its context. Google provides an example of what we should be seeing.

Hi Tom:
Now that you have obliquely referred to Google, what do you (and the rest of the community) plan to switch to next year when Google leaves the scene? I had seen a November date.

How odd. I've seen the information for at least the past two weeks or more, and now it isn't there.

Good real estate may be based on location, location, location;
but
good sources are based on citation, citation, citation!

Glenn

#4 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6268 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 12:20 PM

Glenn, I haven't the foggiest clue what you are talking about.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#5 Glenn

Glenn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 562 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 03:17 PM

Sorry, Tom:

I had seen several notices about Google being discontinued. Only when I looked HERE again at Google's home page did I catch the lower case "i" preceding the word "Google". :o There is a whole page full of the same story.

but

Glenn

#6 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3459 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 10:00 AM

Sorry, Tom:

I had seen several notices about Google being discontinued. Only when I looked HERE again at Google's home page did I catch the lower case "i" preceding the word "Google". :o There is a whole page full of the same story.

Glenn, that is in reference to iGoogle. iGoogle is just a browser landing page service (default home page for browsers) where one can use iGoogle "gadgets" to aggregate news services, bookmark favorite websites, and pull together other disparate information that an individual might want to have at hand (weather, stock ticker, dictionary, etc.). Rest assured that Google search (their bread & butter) and many of their other services will remain.

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#7 Glenn

Glenn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 562 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 08:46 PM

Thanks much, kbens0n

I'm glad :) for the info because I had gotten so used to Google search that it was hard to imagine being without it. :mellow:

but

Glenn