2 replies to this topic

#1 gerwally

gerwally

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 09:24 AM

Has anyone created a web page using roots magic software? Will it include your sources as well as all your other information? What site do you use to put it online?

I would like to make sure that all the work I've done on my family is available to others in the future and feel the best way to go about this is to see that it is available online. I want to make sure that the sources are included since I've spent a lot of time researching and documenting everything. Much of the information on the internet does not include this information and is often erroneous and of questionable value as a result.

I would appreciate others comments on this and their experiences in using roots magic or a gedcom for this purpose.

#2 Nettie

Nettie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1655 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 10:10 AM

Has anyone created a web page using roots magic software? Will it include your sources as well as all your other information? What site do you use to put it online?

Yes on rootsweb.com and do not put family group sheets on the web or a gedcom. I use a pdf file copyrighted from the RM Narrative Report and a statement saying do not copy this into your own files without documenting who you got it from. pdf's have sources also.

Too many people on ancestry and rootsweb and other places just do a copy and do not give you credit for the research you have done. All my gedcoms in my database say who provided the information in each gedcom. Then I know that I need to do more to verify the information. That is just the way I work. I also do not like that ancestry.com feels they have the right to take a gedcom just because it is on their own servers and make it theirs like they did with the gedcoms in the private websites on myfamily.com. They may think they have the right and say so but doing it without talking to the original owner is not right in my book.

another new free online site.. https://posterous.com/

Genealogy:
"I work on genealogy only on days that end in "Y"." [Grin!!!]
from www.GenealogyDaily.com.
"Documentation....The hardest part of genealogy"
"Genealogy is like Hide & Seek: They Hide & I Seek!"
" Genealogists: People helping people.....that's what it's all about!"
from http://www.rootsweb....nry/gentags.htm
Using FO and RM since FO2.0 

#3 Glenn

Glenn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 562 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 03:47 PM

I also do not like that ancestry.com feels they have the right to take a gedcom just because it is on their own servers and make it theirs like they did with the gedcoms in the private websites on myfamily.com. They may think they have the right and say so but doing it without talking to the original owner is not right in my book.

That's one reason I left them and went with RootsMagic. The other reason: their 2006 edition was a mess. :angry:

Cheers to RM

Good real estate may be based on location, location, location;
but
good sources are based on citation, citation, citation!

Glenn