• This topic is locked This topic is locked
8 replies to this topic

#1 chappbe

chappbe

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 09:08 AM

As in Europe we are socially a bit further evolved than in the USA, same sex marriages are like hete sex marriages registered under the Civil Marriage Law. There is no difference anymore between both type of relationships. In The Netherlands same sex couples also marry in Chruch and are registered as any other marriage.
Now ROOTSMAGIC is a bit late in this respect. How to I enter a Civil Marriage and Chirch between two men or woman ? You ONLY get an option father Mother....Man Woamn...butn when there are only two fathers and two mothers ?

I guess, because of the Mormon background of Rootsmagic, oen has slightly forgotten that there are other people in the world with other backgrounds....Please Mend to it and make an option for same sex cicil and chirch weddings.

Finally, How can I delete the LSD options in the programm. I am NOT an LSD-er and don't want to have it shuffled up my nose each time I make a choise...Because I don't agree with their politics and I DO NOT believe in a god.....I unchecked the LSD box, but here and there it turns up again....

Before I go into the Source Code and change it myself, please mend it !

Tx...

#2 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8490 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 10:44 AM

To display a same sex marriage in RootsMagic you will need to first add one partner as the opposite sex. Then open their Edit Person screen and change the sex assigned them. Highlight the row for the spouse and under Husband & Wife Labels change the option to Partner.

To turn off the LDS options go to Tools>File Options>General and uncheck LDS Support and the three options where it is shown. Then go to Tools>File Options>FamilySearch and uncheck Enable FamilySearch Support.

If you have LDS facts showing up in the Edit Person screen then you need to create a GEDCOM and uncheck LDS Information. This will remove them from the database when you Import them back into a new database.
Renee
RootsMagic

#3 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 11:13 AM

You can also enter each spouse as the correct sex. The Add Marriage screen does not appear to enter a marriage when linking same sex persons.

Open one of the person's Edit person's screen and add the Marriage fact.

Changing the labels in the right pane to Partner changes the labels on the Family Group Sheet.

#4 MVS

MVS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 326 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 07:21 AM

The changing of the sex of one of the partners is Ok as a temporary workround - but it is a superficial fix as RM does not seem to treat them differently in reports. For example the FAMILY GROUP SHEET still describes them as MOTHER and FATHER even when they are both of the same sex.

Having just watched the film The Kids are All Right with Annette Bening and Julianne Moore I seemed to remember that both the lesbian parents were called Mommy (Mommy 1 and Mommy 2?).

I would think that RM has a way to go on coping fully with same sex marriages, adopted children, artificially inseminated children and possibly, in the future, hermaphroditic children, all the way though (data entry, display and all aspects of reporting).

MVS.

#5 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8490 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 08:48 AM

When I change the labels to partner on the Family Group Sheet, with them as the primary couple, no title of Father & Mother appears for them. It just shows their names.
Renee
RootsMagic

#6 Glenn

Glenn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 562 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 11:21 AM

Just tried twice. My FGS is still showing Father and Mother ILO Partner(s).

(Dummy Database, of course!) :)

Good real estate may be based on location, location, location;
but
good sources are based on citation, citation, citation!

Glenn

#7 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3459 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 12:30 PM

For me, the FGS in RM 5.0.4.1 works as Renee describes...no title & no gender info for either member of couple when both have been labeled as partner (and that's with or without children - child gender is shown)

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#8 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 02:23 PM

Just tried twice. My FGS is still showing Father and Mother ILO Partner(s).

(Dummy Database, of course!) :)

Did you open the Edit person screen for one of the person's linked as a spouse, highlight the spouse on the Edit person screen and n the upper right pane, choose Partner from the dropdown menus labeled Husband label and Wife label?

If the person has more than one spouse, do you have the right family selected on the Family view?

#9 Glenn

Glenn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 562 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 08:32 PM

That was it! :). Thank you, Laura. I had seen that action some time ago just experimenting with my main DB. Since I didn't need to complete the action, I just "backed out".

Thanks again.

Good real estate may be based on location, location, location;
but
good sources are based on citation, citation, citation!

Glenn

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: same sex, gay