4 replies to this topic

#1 Paul Harris

Paul Harris

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 12:44 PM

Having imported a GEDCOM file into RM, all of my Source Citations have been assigned FreeForm Templates. Since you can't 'change' Source Templates in RM, I have been making copies of existing templates so I can modify them, then creating a new Source and subsequently merging the new Source with the original FreeForm Source, which then brings all of my Citations to that Source to the new Source. Works great and lasts a long time-------until now.

I have a Source for William Wade Hinshaw's "Encyclopedia of American Quaker Genealogy," 6 Volumes. I made a copy of the Book, Multi Volume Template, created a New Source using it, then merged it with my imported Source. If I select the New Source in the Source List and click on Print I get a forty-nine page report showing all of the items the Source is attached to through citations and the original citation details, ie., volume and page number. However, when I go to the individual citations I cannot find the volume/page number data anywhere. Additionally, if I run a report using these citations, they contain no page number information, even though it is showing up in the Source Print report referenced above. I must be missing something, but have no idea what it is.

Would appreciate any help.

Thanks,

Paul

#2 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6444 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 04:04 PM

If you revise your custom source template to have a field named [Page], I think you will get the values back in the citations. The Free Form template has just the [Page] field in Source Details. When you merge the Free Form source with the custom source, nothing happens to the way the data is stored but each time the custom Sentence Template is called, only values having tags matching those that are in the sentence template are called out. Here's an example of how the Source Detail is stored in Free Form:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<Root><Fields><Field><Name>Page</Name><Value>Belfast ref 1.415 Dec qtr</Value></Field></Fields></Root>
The field name [Page] is contained between the HTML tags <Name>...</Name>. The value for that field is stored between the HTML tags <Value>...</Value>. So an alternative to the method I described above is to use SQLite to change the name of the field in the stored data to match the name of the field in the Source Template that is supposed to contain the data value.

Tom user of RM7630 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#3 Paul Harris

Paul Harris

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 06:00 PM

Tom,

Thank you for your reply. I had already added the [Page] field to the custom template, but was not seeing any data in the field when I opened a citation details record. Your post got me thinking to try one more thing, and that was to delete the VolumePage field from the template. Apparently the data would not display because there were more fields in the CD of the template than in the database and it could not resolve the ambiguity??? Once I had ONLY the [Page] field in the CD the data showed up. I was on the right track, but you really helped me get there. I'm a splitter and with 2398 citations to that source I was very motivated to recover that data. :huh:

So an alternative to the method I described above is to use SQLite to change the name of the field in the stored data to match the name of the field in the Source Template that is supposed to contain the data value.

Not that motivated. I'm sticking with a field name of Page, but a display name of Vol:Page. A lot less scary than the above proposal! :unsure:

Thanks for your help.

Paul

#4 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6444 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 09:54 PM

With that many citations of one source, I'd say you're a lumper, big time! Congrats on getting sorted.

Tom user of RM7630 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#5 Paul Harris

Paul Harris

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 10:23 PM

With that many citations of one source, I'd say you're a lumper, big time! Congrats on getting sorted.

Only a lumper on, say, a book or series of books. When it comes to certificates and copies from film I am definitely a splitter---practically one source for each piece of paper in the file. :rolleyes:

Paul

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Sources, Citations, Citation Details