• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 CarolH

CarolH

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 11:40 AM

I'm using RootsMagic 4 on Windows 7-64 bit. After creating a book in publisher, I try to export the generated file to an RTF file. Everything continues to work fine *except* that it only exports the first 10 or so pages instead of the entire narrative or file that was created. I can see the entire document on the screen, but it just doesn't export the same to RTF. It only exports a few pages if exporting to PDF file, too. (I've tried different formats, but every format exports only about 10 pages.)

Also, in the first few pages, which is a pedigree chart, it scrunches the names or over-writes names so that the first generation is illegible. I've tried reducing the number of generations per page, but if it only has three generations, it does the same. Again, on screen everything is fine, but it seems to have a problem exporting the generated file to another format.

I should mention that I have biographies for almost every person in a 4,000 person database which translates to over 2,000 pages in "notes" when generating a book in publisher. Could the sheer size of the text (notes) be the problem? I sure hope not, because I've spent literally decades building this database.

Any ideas about what is going on with this?

#2 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7093 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 09:33 AM

I do believe that the size of your report to be generated is maxing out your system resources of your computer.
Renee
RootsMagic

#3 CarolH

CarolH

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 10:19 PM

Well, that's probably good news, and bad news. If it's the system resources, I can clear out RAM and close programs, etc. However, I've tried running a smaller set, like only 2-3 generations with less than 50 people, and it still doesn't export the full file to RTF. So, if it chokes on less, then I'm certain it is going to do it on the entire database. I'm running dual processors: 2Ghz and 1999Mhz and 3GB memory, plenty of HD disk space. Memory is fairly cheap, if shutting down programs doesn't help. I appreciate the idea of what is happening. I've used RM since the program was first introduced, and I sure don't want to have to learn a new program at this late date just so I can print out and edit. Thanks again!

#4 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 11:57 PM

I didn't really think was a problem with the computer's resources seeing that it Windows 7 - 64bit, it is probably much better configured than mine.

Is it not exporting the file or is the program you are using to open it chocking on it.
Ten pages would be quite a small RTF file while several hundred would probably be many megabytes.
I have a PDF file of 47 pages that is 3,877KB.

Check the file size to see if it makes any sense.

Microsoft designed the RTF format for Microsoft Word, other programs seem to have problems with it.
And PDF files are Adobe's domain.
Alfred

#5 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5464 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 06:22 AM

Try a version of your desired document without the Pedigree Chart and one with it alone. Do your narrative reports use footnotes or endnotes? If footnotes, try switching to endnotes. While you may not want your document this way, these steps may help to isolate the problem.

Tom user of RM7230 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> Rmtrix_tiny.png app, a growing bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#6 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3260 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 07:55 AM

I can definitely duplicate your problem, but only when certain Unicode characters other than the core Latin character set are entered into the Given Names field , followed by other non-Latin Unicode characters in the other fields (Nickname field in this case).

To see what I mean ...type in any Surname for an individual and then use the following string for both the Given Names & Nickname fields:

William ҂ Michael ҂

Now, go generate a Pedigree chart and the Report heading is "squashed" as you describe. Additionally, I found that certain Unicode characters also cause the report to become a corrupted .RTF file when Save is carried out and RM passes the report to the associated .RTF program (Microsoft Office Word Viewer, in my case, because I don't have MS Word on this machine). Unfortunately, Bruce moved on with a rewrite (probably because of these little niggling bugs).

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#7 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5464 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 11:27 AM

Are you using RM4 or 5, Kevin?

SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> Rmtrix_tiny.png app, a growing bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#8 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3260 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 04:16 PM

Are you using RM4 or 5, Kevin?

Under Windows XP:
-BOTH-
RM 4 Retail & RM 5 Essentials
choke on the above simple combination.

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#9 CarolH

CarolH

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 10:54 AM

I've definitely got foreign language characters in the names, suffix, nickname, and text fields, mainly Danish and French. If that is the problem, then that's a big problem. I have many, many note fields that are in Danish, then the English translation below it. I won't change those, because it is a misspelling of the name (and words) to use only the American alphabet and going back through and changing them all, then editing them back to their correct spelling is a task that would be too daunting and time consuming in a 4,000 person database.

If you can reproduce the RTF export using these characters, then that is the likely reason. I can't imagine how much time it is going to cost me to switch to another genealogy program after I've got over 1,000 photos linked . . . well, now I'm depressed.

#10 CarolH

CarolH

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 11:09 AM

I have my computer set to read and type foreign languages, because I use them often. So, my Microsoft software is set to read these characters. The problem is likely the Rootsmagic processing of the generated file that isn't set up for these kinds of characters. Everyone in America will have an ancestor with foreign language characters if you go back far enough (we're all immigrants, and all that)! It's egocentric of Rootmagic not to have allowed them in it's programming!

But, I have an idea. Rootsmagic doesn't put that big of a file all in memory, then the file disappears from existence when it's done with it. It is writing it somewhere on the hard drive to a temporary "storage" area. Where does Rootmagic store the temp file, and what would it be called? If I can open, retrieve the temp file with Word or another editing program, I might be able to bypass the Rootsmagic conversion process.

#11 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5464 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 12:42 PM

I tried Kevin's combination "William ҂ Michael ҂" and did not see the adverse results reported. However, MS Word 2010 showed "?" in place of "҂" while the PDF preserved it. I'm using 5.0.3.1 on Win 7 Home Premium 64 bit. It was only a two generation Pedigree Chart. So I tried 8 gens spread over two pages - same result.

I don't know that RM does write a temp report file for Report Viewer - it could all be stored to memory and rely on Windows to apportion excess to the drive when there is insufficient RAM.

#12 CarolH

CarolH

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 01:03 PM

Success! Instead of using "SAVE" I used the "Print" button. I have Nitro PDF installed (an alternative to Adobe). Nitro PDF has a print spooler (print driver). So, I "printed" the Rootsmagic generated file using the Nitro PDF print driver, which created a FILE instead of "printing" to a printer. The print driver "printed" it to a file. There are no problems with foreign language characters and no problems with squishing the generation charts. Fantastic! If you don't have Nitro PDF, another alternative is Microsoft XPS Document Writer. When I "printed" using the Document Writer, it "printed" to an XPS file perfectly, too. With all the conversion software out there, I can now convert any of these output files to Word or any other format I want, so I can edit it for printing. The print drivers from other software programs bypassed the Rootmagic conversion bugs. Thanks for all your suggestions and help! Your thoughts and observations kept me trying to figure out a way around the "save" errors.