• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 jencoffeelover

jencoffeelover

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 05:40 AM

I created a custom report to pull census data. Laid out surname, given, birth date, census date, census note, census (fam) date, census (fam) note. Ran and noticed most of my people do not have census noted. Why - they are shared facts and those don't seem to pull into a custom report.

Any idea why or how I can make it pull? Seems that if the fact is shared and appears in a person's information, it would show up on a report.

Thanks for your help!
Jennifer

#2 MVS

MVS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 326 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 07:04 AM

This is something I had not seen before (I do not tend to use Custom Reports) so I guess I cannot directly help.

However, it is also worth noting that there are other deficiencies in the way that RM uses Shared Facts. For example - if you have a photograph attached to a shared Fact it only appears to be tagged to the person whose fact it is and none of the poeple who share the fact. So for example if you record the image of the Census page against the Census then when you look in the Media Album to see against who the Census Image is Tagged - it will again only show the owner of the Census record and none of the people who are sharing the Fact, and by implication are present on the census image. Yuo then have to tag them all individually to the image - and at the end of that you wonder why you bothered with a Shared fact!

I have been very keen to use Shared facts to save data entry work and provide a means of grouping information together. I spent a lot of time converting my data when the feature first arrived. But I now feel that with the shortcomings that RM has on how it deals with Shared facts that it was a waste of time. If I was starting out again now I would not use Shared facts - as I never feel I can rely on the information being reported correclty in the system.

It would be useful if the product development team could issue a statement on whether they intend to develop the product so that Shared facts are treated ( in terms of all reporting and display) in the same way as individual facts - or whether they will always be a subset, with limitations surrounding them.. Then the users of RM could make a strategic decision as to whether use them or not.

MVS

#3 Nettie

Nettie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1655 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 11:22 AM

It would be useful if the product development team could issue a statement on whether they intend to develop the product so that Shared facts are treated ( in terms of all reporting and display) in the same way as individual facts - or whether they will always be a subset, with limitations surrounding them.. Then the users of RM could make a strategic decision as to whether use them or not.

MVS

Thanks for putting this so nicely. I agree this should have been done. :) Many changes have not fully explained to the end users and we have found out what changes can and can not do on our own.

Genealogy:
"I work on genealogy only on days that end in "Y"." [Grin!!!]
from www.GenealogyDaily.com.
"Documentation....The hardest part of genealogy"
"Genealogy is like Hide & Seek: They Hide & I Seek!"
" Genealogists: People helping people.....that's what it's all about!"
from http://www.rootsweb....nry/gentags.htm
Using FO and RM since FO2.0 

#4 MVS

MVS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 326 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 01:35 AM

Netties reply led me to go and have a look at the Rootsmagic Help function for "Shared Events". There is no reference to a Shared Event being treated differently in the system compared to recording the event separately It even gives the "Census" as an example fo where it might be used.

It would be interesting to know if there is even a definitive list of which repots/displays/features do not work "normally" with shared facts/events.

MVS

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: custom reports, shared facts, census