• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 blarney

blarney

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 10:58 PM

the days of buying software and loading it to a computer seem to be numbered.....I won't buy Rootsmagic until a SaaS version is available, I won't buy any RootsMagic prodct.....and as much as some of the older genealogists talk about RootsMagic and all it does, I can't help but think the company will go out of business if they don't get a SaaS product soon....just my opinion, but this has been trending now for the past 5 years....I don't understand why none of the older companies don't get on this now before they get passed up....

#2 Nettie

Nettie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1661 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 06:59 AM

And many of us will not put our important information on the cloud or internet for many reasons. I want the software on my PC.

Genealogy:
"I work on genealogy only on days that end in "Y"." [Grin!!!]
from www.GenealogyDaily.com.
"Documentation....The hardest part of genealogy"
"Genealogy is like Hide & Seek: They Hide & I Seek!"
" Genealogists: People helping people.....that's what it's all about!"
from http://www.rootsweb....nry/gentags.htm
Using FO and RM since FO2.0 

#3 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3443 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 08:35 AM

.....I won't buy Rootsmagic until a SaaS version is available, I won't buy any RootsMagic prodct.....

Welcome and what an interesting first post and introduction.

Customers should never be frustrated by things they cannot do.

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.6.2, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#4 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3670 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 10:54 AM

And many of us will not put our important information on the cloud or internet for many reasons. I want the software on my PC.

The two approaches are not mutually exclusive. A product such as RM5 could potentially be offered both as a local PC program and also in the cloud. Users could then choose which approach they wanted to use.

The two approaches could even be combined. For example, you could use RM5 on your local PC which could be synchronized with the cloud. You could then have an iPad app which talked to your RM5 data in the cloud and you could take your iPad to the library and do realtime updates of your live data from there. And again, if you chose not to use the cloud part of the product, that could be your choice.

Jerry

#5 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8526 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 02:54 PM

Confirming RM is aware of this model and approach to software and watching its development.
Renee
RootsMagic

#6 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 04:05 PM

Aren't the advantages of Cloud software just pipe dreams of people with their heads floating around in the clouds?

It seems an ideal way for some hacker to take over a lot of computers at once.

Of course, I am old fashioned enough that I would rather buy the tools and do it myself than have someone else sneak up and do something for me without me knowing about it.
Alfred

#7 Nettie

Nettie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1661 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 07:35 PM

Aren't the advantages of Cloud software just pipe dreams of people with their heads floating around in the clouds?

It seems an ideal way for some hacker to take over a lot of computers at once.

Of course, I am old fashioned enough that I would rather buy the tools and do it myself than have someone else sneak up and do something for me without me knowing about it.

I agree Alfred.... I also want to know what is going on and trust someone else's server that could hacked or goes down. Sure am not there yet...

Genealogy:

#8 Glenn

Glenn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 562 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 08:52 PM

For example, you could use RM5 on your local PC which could be synchronized with the cloud. You could then have an iPad app which talked to your RM5 data in the cloud and you could take your iPad to the library and do realtime updates of your live data from there. And again, if you chose not to use the cloud part of the product, that could be your choice.
Jerry

Many of you are way ahead of me in terms of the number of computers in your home.
We have one computer with separate log on icons; and I have a USB for RM backups. I have a replacement-key program that works anywhere as long as the key is active. That is the only thing I have that could possible be classified as an app.
Since my local library does not permit the use of USB’s, why would I need an iPad app?

Good real estate may be based on location, location, location;
but
good sources are based on citation, citation, citation!

Glenn

#9 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6284 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 07:09 AM

I think this is a confusing discussion about an unclear statement. What is SaaS? In its day, a mainframe computer and dumb terminals was a precursor to SaaS, an acronym for a buzzword that can mean many things. Is the iTunes Store for apps and iCloud for storage any more a SaaS than centralised computing? For that matter, isn't RootsMagic automatic checking for updates and user initiated download and install from within the program a form of SaaS? Regardless, I think RM users will fight against the loss of portable autonomy of the application and their databases (ability to use without connection to a network) and push for such things as optional cloud storage, cross-platform compatibility, collaborative working. etc. Those are meaningful goals - SaaS is not.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#10 Nettie

Nettie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1661 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 07:15 AM

Glenn good points. Many of us use Dropbox as the cloud ap for storing rmgc databases or others. I only have a blackberry and extra aps no matter what, are too expensive on retiree salary. Having one laptop, and many USB external hard drives for back up storage is okay for me. Since 2001 have only had one USB external go belly up. Now have three of them, plus a hard drive from an old machine as the last backup.

How you do your backup is an individual choice. Like the first comment on this discussion that is her/his choice. I do not like the cost of iPad or other readers. Makes no sense to have a lot of extra electronic machines when one works just fine. We used to have a saying at work, "why change it if it works."

Added: Tom was writing the same time. Totally agree with you on this statement.
"Regardless, I think RM users will fight against the loss of portable autonomy of the application and their databases (ability to use without connection to a network) and push for such things as optional cloud storage, cross-platform compatibility, collaborative working. etc. Those are meaningful goals - SaaS is not"

Genealogy:

#11 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6284 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 02:48 PM

I wonder if the originator of this topic, blarney, will be heard from again, or if it is just so much blarney from someone with no particular interest in genealogy. There are literally thousands of members of the RootsMagic forums who have not visited the message board since the day they joined. And we have seen more than one example of self-serving and irrelevant posts that could be characterised as advertising or trolling. Then again, maybe he/she does have a serious interest in genealogy and would care to amplify what functional criteria under the SaaS umbrella are critical to their purchasing decision. If those are truly trending features, I'm sure we would all be interested.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.