4 replies to this topic

#1 rdmarcus

rdmarcus

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 04:41 PM

Hello from a newbie,

I am generating an ancestor wall chart with one of my children as the starting person. I would like to have both children at the left of the chart.
This is, I think, the equivalent of "include siblings of start person" for the photo tree. Am I missing something? Thanks for any help.

rdmarcus

#2 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 06:05 PM

You can do another chart for the other sibling of only a couple of generations.

Highlight the starting person, CTRL + C to copy that person's box.

Go to the other, larger chart and CTRL + V to paste the box from the Windows clipboard there, then drag it into position.
(If you have several siblings, you can do a 1 generation descendant chart for their parents and highlight and copy several at once.)

You can use the line tool to add a line from the box like the original sibling.

(It would be nice to be able to start with all the siblings, but it will probably be a while before it is possible.)
Alfred

#3 John_of_Ross_County

John_of_Ross_County

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 661 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 06:51 PM

You can do another chart for the other sibling of only a couple of generations.

Highlight the starting person, CTRL + C to copy that person's box.

Go to the other, larger chart and CTRL + V to paste the box from the Windows clipboard there, then drag it into position.
(If you have several siblings, you can do a 1 generation descendant chart for their parents and highlight and copy several at once.)

You can use the line tool to add a line from the box like the original sibling.

(It would be nice to be able to start with all the siblings, but it will probably be a while before it is possible.)

I think this is a partial solution. Select the father of the children. Make an hourglass chart with a couple of generations of descendents and as many ancestors as desired. Select the orientation of the chart with ancestors on the right.

This chart will show the all of the children, the parents, and ancestors of the father. It will not have the ancestors of the mother.

Then I do not know exactly how to do the blending of two charts as Alfed suggested. But it would involve making another chart of just ancestors of the mother and then merging it with the first chart. I leave this as an exercise for someone who knows how to merge multiple charts.

After reading Alfred's suggestion again, I believe that both ideas are roughly equivalent.

#4 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 08:17 PM

Well DUH! Why didn't I think of that? That works much better and all in one chart, no cutting and pasting.

But, you only want one generation of descendants, otherwise you get their spouses and children.

Some of the other reports of one generation only list the starting person but the with the wall chart one generation of descendants is the starting person and a generation of descendants

Although, one generation of ancestors lists only the starting person. SO, I am my own ancestor but not my own descendant! :wacko:

====== WOOPS! ======

That isn't all that great either, you only get the paternal or maternal ancestors that way. :mellow:

I have got to learn to think a little more before typing.
Alfred

#5 rdmarcus

rdmarcus

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 12:45 AM

Thanks for the ideas. I found Alfred's cut-and-paste solution quick and easy to implement.
John's hourglass approach, which involves somehow merging two charts, seems too complicated.

In general, I like the flexibilty that chart customization gives you, particularly for small tweaks like
this one.

rdmarcus