4 replies to this topic

#1 Glenn

Glenn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 562 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 09:59 PM

We lost internet connectivity on July 24. Time Warner service personnel made house call on August 1st to reset net access. Since then, I've been catching up on email and other projects. I see a couple of new things I don't remember.

First, in composition mode, it took me a few words before I realized the tool bar was grayed out. Then I spotted a little box in the upper left corner. So I tried my "hovering" skills and voila! -- Toggle editing mode.
Secondly, in the Subforums, I only saw Discussion, Issues and Tips and Hints and wondered what happened to the "Tab" for General. . .?

For the real question: I’ve started using Jeff La Marca’s Simplified templates.
A confusing sense I got was that we MUST start with the master template. Yet I started with the Non-traditional template and didn’t seem to have any problem.

During the “down time” one of my e-mails was from my 1st cousin twice removed, Ryan. The last time I had seen his grandfather was when his father and aunt were barely teenagers in 1965. I had them in my DB as _______ Sims. So Ryan filled me in with names for his father, aunt, brother, sister, son and nephew. They are now in my DB and the source/citations look like:

Master Source List:
Footnote: Ryan Sims (31 July 2012). E-Mail: Sims Cousins. || [Page]. [SourceDetailPerson]. [Location]. [Repository:Caps] ([URL]: accessed [Accessed]). [RefNumber:Caps].
Short Footnote: Ryan Sims (31 July 2012). E-Mail: Sims Cousins.
Bibliography: Ryan Sims (31 July 2012). E-Mail: Sims Cousins. || [Page]. [SourceDetailPerson]. [Location]. [Repository:Caps] ([URL]: accessed [Accessed]). [RefNumber:Caps].
Repository:
Glenn Wright
3 Factory Street
Oneonta, NY 13820-2703
Citation: which only shows in the left pane – nothing in middle or right panes.
Quality: Unknown Probably ought to make it a good quality.
Footnote:
Ryan Sims (31 July 2012). E-Mail: Sims Cousins. || Date of email; my title. Ryan’s subject was Family
Should I change Sims Cousins (which is more descriptive) to Family?
Short Footnote:
Ryan Sims (31 July 2012). E-Mail: Sims Cousins.
Bibliography:
Ryan Sims (31 July 2012). E-Mail: Sims Cousins. ||
Repository:
Glenn Wright Since I now have the e-mail.
… Street
City, State, Zip+4
What am I missing besides putting something in the middle and right panes? :unsure:

Glenn

Good real estate may be based on location, location, location;
but
good sources are based on citation, citation, citation!

Glenn

#2 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8491 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 09:38 AM

Secondly, in the Subforums, I only saw Discussion, Issues and Tips and Hints and wondered what happened to the "Tab" for General. . .?

Keep scrolling down the forum boards and you will see the General Messages - http://forums.rootsmagic.com/
Renee
RootsMagic

#3 Glenn

Glenn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 562 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 09:05 PM

Thanks, Renee

I did find the scroll bar. Sometimes, when in a hurry, I just <End> button and forget the scroller is there!

Which "Webinar" explains brackets [ ], parentheses ( ), etc; and how they are used in Master Sources and Citations? :unsure:

but

Glenn

#4 Nettie

Nettie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1655 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 07:27 AM

No matter what or where you use square brackets [ ], this is your personal information saying what you want. :)

EE at https://www.evidence...explained.com then use the search button to put in square brackets and you will get a lot of ?'s already asked and Elizabeth will answer them.

Genealogy:
"I work on genealogy only on days that end in "Y"." [Grin!!!]
from www.GenealogyDaily.com.
"Documentation....The hardest part of genealogy"
"Genealogy is like Hide & Seek: They Hide & I Seek!"
" Genealogists: People helping people.....that's what it's all about!"
from http://www.rootsweb....nry/gentags.htm
Using FO and RM since FO2.0 

#5 Glenn

Glenn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 562 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 12:06 PM

No matter what or where you use square brackets [ ], this is your personal information saying what you want. :)

EE at https://www.evidence...explained.com then use the search button to put in square brackets and you will get a lot of ?'s already asked and Elizabeth will answer them.

Thank you, Nettie.
I've saved the link to the "answer" page in a RM SubFolder document with a one-sentence explanation:
Link to EE for entering Key Words.

but

Glenn