Nettie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1507 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 12:27 PM

Nettie’s procedure for Census Citation Records

©15 April 2011 GA workshop

Sorry but tables do not show up, can send a pdf if so interested. Procedure by © Annette DeCourcy Towler

Rev # 8; Date: 6 August 2012

A procedure to standardize census records

in a RootsMagic version 4 or later revision database.

Not wanting 500 separate sources for each census year, with a lot of thought as to how to do this, made a decision and with these goals:

• One [1] Master Source Citation per census year.
  • Have a footnote with all the document information so that I can get back to that census record. Decided to use the “Census, US. Federal 1880-1930 (filmed.)”[1] for census records from years 1880 to 1930. So am using the filmed templates for all years of the census records.

Tip 1: One a recent Web Blog a discussion on repositories a person also stated that ancestry.com, Heritage Quest, www.familysearch.org were repositories not just websites. I agree as many of my first found census records were from microfilmed copies at the local Family History Center or a State Historical Society library.

Source Templates have:

• Master Source section is for a single [example: 1850] census year records common to all states.
    • That would make this for all United States one year set of records?
    • Jurisdiction should be United States
  • Source Details is detail to each individual census record.
  • Section for the text found
  • Comments is your comments for this record/source.

Create: templates

• 1 for each census year. [1880-1930]
  • Created a General code CEN.
  • Added “a” to bring it to the front of the list and also to say this is an EE my copy Source Template. [or mark it as a favorite with the star icon ]
  • a CEN 01 1790
  • a CEN 02 1800
  • a CEN 03 1810
  • a CEN 04 1820
  • a CEN 05 1830
  • a CEN 06 1840
  • a CEN 07 1850
  • a CEN 08 1860
  • a CEN 09 1870
  • a CEN 10 1880
  • a CEN 11 1890 Veterans
  • a CEN 12 1900
  • a CEN 13 1910
  • a CEN 14 1920
  • a CEN 15 1930
  • a CEN 16 1940

Tip 2: also can create a Template for Mortality or other census types.

Procedure in RootsMagic v4 works in v5,6,7. [Also use the Help File or F1].
Open:

• Lists
  • Source Templates…
  • Copy the Template you want to use [use the copy button]
  • Rename it.
  • If left with the same words (copy), is at the end of the title.
  • Census templates were named example,“a Cen 001 1790”
  • was at the top of the list
  • Knew it was my creation.
  • Quickly can get to it.

[/list]MY format for a Census Citation Template [which is supposed to be a table, but the forum will not show a table]
Display
Example
Display
Example
Master Source:
Cen 014 1920
Source File #
Cen 014

Field
Display
Fill in
Suggestion
CensusID
Year and Type:
1920 Federal Census

Jurisdiction
Jurisdiction:
United States
Suggests county and State, mine is nationwide
Schedule
Schedule:
population schedule
Suggests population schedule/mortality/state [see above tip 2]
PubLoc
Published location:
Washington DC
Suggests Washington, DC
Publisher
Publisher:
National Archives
Suggests National Archives
PubType
Publication type:
microfilm
Suggest type Microfilm
FilmID
Film Number:
T624
No suggestion but using roll numbers assigned by census bureau.

The following fill in boxes show in the Endnotes or Footnotes:
Source Details
No fill box
Detail File #
MN 19 [state code for personal files]

Field
Displays
Fill in
Notes/Suggestions:
RollNo
Roll Number:
roll 851 (accessed Aug 1985 at FHC)
Could add (accessed 10 Jul 2010 ancestry.com)
CivilDivision
Civil Division:
Waterbury Township, Redwood County, Minnesota
Suggests P. O. I use all the information
ED
Ed Number:
Enumeration District (ED) 199 SD 157 sheet 5A
[I put both ED and SD number here] ED 15 SD 1
PageID
Page
p 41 [s] 9365 [p]
[s] means stamped number [p] means hand written/printed
HouseholdID
Household ID:
household 76 family 76
[also can put line number] or use H68 F68
PersonOfInterest
Person of Interest
Oliver M and Katherine E SURNAME he age 47 she age 44

Repository:

• National Archives: in call number field, accessed online Heritage Quest or accessed Family History Center also in call number field, add Microfilm # as it was when found. [noticed FHC has changed some microfilm numbers in 2005]
  • Current Repositories field in RM5 are set up as one repository per source. There are many different repositories you can find one book or a census record.

The Footnote looks like this:
Footnote:
Oliver M and Katherine E SURNAME he age 47 she age 44, 1920 U. S. Census, United States, population schedule, Waterbury Township, Redwood County, Minnesota, p 41 [s] 9365 [p], Enumeration District (ED) 199 SD 157 sheet 5A, household 76 family 76; Microfilm T625, roll 851 (accessed Aug 1985 at FHC)..
Short Footnote:
Oliver M and Katherine E SURNAME he age 47 she age 44, 1920 U. S. Census, United States, population schedule, Waterbury Township, Redwood County, Minnesota, ED 199 SD 157 sheet 5A, p 41 [s] 9365 [p], household 76 family 76.
Bibliography:
United States, 1920 U. S. Census, population schedule. Microfilm T625. Washington, DC: National Government Census Bueau.
Repository:
National Archives
Washington, DC
Template for footnotes:
Footnote:
[PersonOfInterest], 1920 U. S. Census, United States, population schedule, [CivilDivision], [PageID], Enumeration District (ED) [ED], [HouseholdID]; Microfilm T625, [RollNo].
Short Footnote:
[PersonOfInterest], 1920 U. S. Census, United States, population schedule, [CivilDivision:Abbrev], ED [ED:Abbrev], [PageID:Abbrev], [HouseholdID:Abbrev].
Bibliography:
United States, 1920 U. S. Census, population schedule. Microfilm T625. Washington, DC: National Government Census Bureau.

Tip 3: Current discussions are saying not to put the Person of Interest first in the footnote. A change made by NGS and BCG after 2008. In my opinion, this is a personal choice.

Sentence Template:
<[Date]>, [couple] appeared in the population census,<[Desc]>,< [PlaceDetails]>< [Place]>.

Reads: “On 14 Jun 1920, Oliver Miles “Ollie” SURNAME and Catherine Emma “Katie” SURNAME appeared in the population census in Redwood County, Minnesota”.

Use the Source Details:
Detail Text:

• for actual information found in the census, name, age, etc.
    • either re key it or copy to clipboard and paste in box. Ancestry.com may have missed typed/indexed information I use square brackets after it to correct or put it in the Detail Comment section]
  • same information is copied to the clip board and pasted into the Notes section to the Census Fact type so that it is printed in the Narrative Report. [Thanks Jerry for figuring this out and letting the rest of us know. Make sure this works or see print screen to make sure it is covered.]
  • Detail text will print in your Endnote/Footnote list but not as easily read by your audience if used in a Narrative Report.

Detail Comments:

• Use this for my analysis of the record and what it tells me. example "finding John Smith here means they moved during the last 10 years."

Details Media:

• attach a copy of the census record suggest jpg only [pdf files that you get from Heritage Quest will not work in RM.]

Tip 4: The Detail Text & Detail Comments along with the footnote print in the Report “Research Notes” which is per person. This is a good analysis tool for working with one person’s research.

Printout a from the Menu/Lists/Source List, a single Source. Use the Print Button in the menu list on the Source List.
Example: my a Cen 007 1850 looks like this if all information is filled in:
Is 57 pages; so will only print a section of it. Have 7 counties in KY with with 12 families in them. Has all checkboxes checked for printing.

• Notice: Do not use the quality button in the software but did check the box for printing so you would see where it comes in the report.
  • Notice: Tried a share fact it is labeled (Witness)
  • Many of these were done in RM4 before realizing that what the Detail Comments could do so there is both here.

a CEN 007 1850 (Cen 007)
Footnote: [PersonOfInterest], 1850 Federal Census, United States, population, [CivilDivision], [PageID], [HouseholdID]; original M432, [RollNo].
Footnote (short): [PersonOfInterest], 1850 Federal Census, United States, population, [CivilDivision:Abbrev], [PageID:Abbrev], [HouseholdID:Abbrev].
Bibliography: United States, 1850 Federal Census, population. original M432. Washington, DC: National Archives and Records.
Repository:
National Archives
Repository:
Annette DeCourcy Towler Files
Citations:
1. (Witness). roll 195 via ancestry.com; Dist 2, Campbell County, Kentucky; p 109 [s] p 217 [p]; household 553, family 553; George Mains age 46 farmer b. KY col 19 checked, Nancy age 37 b. MD col 19 checked. Quality: Derivative, Primary, Direct. Detail text: children: Mary E. age 13, Malissa Maines age 12; Sarah A Maines age 8, Thomas E Mains age 6; James P Maines age 4;Elizabeth Maines age 3. (KY 18)
2. [LEMASTER], Elizabeth-10606 (Census). r 208 on Census View; Johnson County, Kentucky; p 107[s]; 364; F364 line 23-30; Elijah Lemaster & Elizabeth. Quality: Unknown. Detail text: NameAge
Elizah Lemaster 62 [Elijah]
Elizabeth Lemaster 62
Levis Lemaster 23 [son?]
Sarah Lemaster 25 [da i l?}
Delphia Lemaster 7 [gr ch]
Miranda Lemaster 4 [gr ch]
Mary A E J Lemaster 2 [gr ch]
William F Lemaster [6/12] [gr ch]
. Detail comments: [ ] assumptions made by me. backed up by the LeMasters book. Chapter 2 (KY45)
3. [MAINES], Hey/May-6888 (Census). roll 195; 2nd District, Campbell County, Kentucky; p 124 [s]; household 761, family 761; Joseph Mains and Wife Mey both age 79. Quality: Unknown
4. AMBROSE, Diddima-4088 (Census). r 193 via ancestry.com; Bracken County, Kentucky; p 782 p 450; dwelling 109 family 109; Diadena Mains age 26 b. KY . Quality: Unknown. Detail text:
(KYB17)
5. BALL, Edward Porteus-572 and LINDSEY, Jannette Hamilton-677 (Census (family)). r 195; 2nd District, Campbell County, Kentucky; p 110 [s]; Household 5729, family 572; Edward P and Jannetta Ball. Quality: Secondary. Detail comments:
(KY18)
6. BALL, Edward Porteus-592 (Census). M432 roll 195; 2nd District, Campbell County, Kentucky; p 110 [s]; Household 572, family 572; Edward P and Jannetta Ball. Quality: Secondary. Detail comments:
(KY18)
7. BALL, James Lindsey-593 (Census). r 195; 2nd District, Campbell County, Kentucky; p 110 [s]; Household 5729, family 572; Edward P and Jannetta Ball. Quality: Secondary. Detail comments:
(KY18)
8. BALL, Mariah B.-594 (Census). r 195; 2nd District, Campbell County, Kentucky; p 110 [s]; Household 572, family 572; Edward P and Jannetta Ball. Quality: Secondary. Detail comments:
(KY18)
9. BALL, Mildred H-571 (Census). roll 663; Butler County, Ohio; p 405; Line 22-24; M.H. Kennedy age 37. Quality: Unknown
10. BALL, William Davis-595 (Census). r 195; 2nd District, Campbell County, Kentucky; p 110 [s]; Household 572, family 572; Edward P and Jannetta Ball. Quality: Secondary. Detail comments:
(KY18)
11. BARNES, Nancy-185 (Census). roll 155; Union Township, Johnson County, Indiana; p 38 [s] ; household 112, family 112; Nancy DeCoursey age 35. Quality: Unknown. Detail text: She is age 35 born in KY. Others listed are Zilpelia A age 17; William M. age 9, Rachel E. age 8; Amanda E. age 6, Josh T. age 5.
12. BARNHILL, Jane-5431 (Census). roll 216; First District, Pendleton County, Kentucky; p 372 b [not p]; household 319, family 319; William and Jane Pribble he age 63, she age 63 both b. PA. Quality: Unknown (KY 69)
13. BARNHILL, Mary Margaret-6263 (Census). First District, Pendleton County, Kentucky. Quality: Unknown
14. BOGLE, Elisa Jane-2762 (Census). page 770, dwelling number 493, family number 493. Quality: Unknown
15. BONAR, Ethelema-6241 (Census). roll 216; District no. 2, Pendleton County, Kentucky ; 700 [p]; household 389 family 389; Joel and Elizabeth Bonar. Quality: Unknown (KY)
16. BONAR, James-6556 (Census). roll 216; District no. 2, Pendleton County, Kentucky ; 700 [p]; household 389 family 389; James Bonar not listed in family. Quality: Unknown (KY)
17. BONAR, Jane-6240 (Census). roll 216; District no. 2, Pendleton County, Kentucky ; 700 [p]; household 389 family 389; Jane Bonar. Quality: Unknown (KY)
18. BONAR, Joel-6239 (Census). roll 216; District no. 2, Pendleton County, Kentucky ; 700 [p]; household 389 family 389; Joel and Elizabeth Bonar. Quality: Unknown (KY)
19. BONAR, Lucinda Samantha-6243 (Census). roll 216; District no. 2, Pendleton County, Kentucky ; 700 [p]; household 389 family 389; Joel and Elizabeth Bonar. Quality: Unknown (KY)

Information: This was originally written for RootsMagic v4 classroom instructions to take home after being shown how to use RM v 4 to a class of beginner genealogists…. This instruction was for an event/fact addition to their individual person. Have had no feedback as to how this has worked for them. © adt If you want to use a copy please email within RM forum. Thank you.
.Missing are the tip smiley faces.

Edited: 7 Sep 2015

[1] Mills, Elizabeth Shown. Evidence Explained templates in RootsMagic version 4.

Editied 10 May 2016: Have updated the pdf to current revision of RM.  This will work in any revision from Rev 3 forward.

Genealogy:
"I work on genealogy only on days that end in "Y"." [Grin!!!]
from www.GenealogyDaily.com.
"Documentation....The hardest part of genealogy"
"Genealogy is like Hide & Seek: They Hide & I Seek!"
" Genealogists: People helping people.....that's what it's all about!"
from http://www.rootsweb....nry/gentags.htm
Using FO and RM since FO2.0 

#2 DoninRiver

DoninRiver

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 01 February 2015 - 03:47 PM

Are you still using this technique?

How has it been accepted?

Have you expanded on this for other types of citations?

Would you please send the. PDF file mentioned?

May I have your permission to use this technique with RootsMagic 7?

Thank you

Don Sherry

#3 Nettie

Nettie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1507 posts

Posted 07 September 2015 - 08:44 AM

Oh boy, did I answer this? Yes am still using it and yes you can use it.  Let me know if I need to resend the pdf file.  Not happy with myself for not checking this topic.  :mellow:

Genealogy:

#4 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5467 posts

Posted 07 September 2015 - 01:02 PM

Nettie, I think this objective is misstated:

• One [1] Source Citation per census year.

I think you mean "One Master Source per census year", for which there would be many citations (source lumping).

Tom user of RM7230 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> Rmtrix_tiny.png app, a growing bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#5 Lethdun

Lethdun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 07 September 2015 - 04:53 PM

Hi Nettie,

EGAD! I think this would help me a lot -- I like what I see. Would you please give me permission to use the technique with RM and send the PDF file?  :)

Thank you, Lethdun

It's been real... It's been fun...

#6 Nettie

Nettie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1507 posts

Posted 07 September 2015 - 09:48 PM

Thanks Tom,  My editor who is my daughter, is busy home schooling her 7 year old, so have not used her to critique my writings.  Did correct the statement and updated the revisions of RM. 

Genealogy:

#7 AngelicW

AngelicW

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 May 2016 - 05:56 AM

Hi Nettie,

Can I please get the PDF for this?

Thank you so much!

#8 Nettie

Nettie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1507 posts

Posted 10 May 2016 - 08:05 AM

Your welcome and is on the email way.  :)

Genealogy:

#9 mabeldin

mabeldin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 02:46 PM

Hi Nettie,

I would like to receive a copy of your PDF for this procedure. A friend and I teach the RootsMagic Users' Group and are always looking for new things to share.

Thank you for sharing

Margie Beldin

Washington State

Margie

#10 Nettie

Nettie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1507 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 07:09 PM

Margie,  sent it off.  Thanks for asking.  I suspect your classes are lots of fun.  

Genealogy:

#11 mabeldin

mabeldin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 07:18 PM

Thanks, haven't gotten anything yet, just the notices from the Forum, but they should show up soon.

thanks for sharing,

Margie

Margie

#12 Nettie

Nettie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1507 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 07:25 PM

Thanks for saying that got distracted and had the note ready to go.  Another computer glich.  Do not like Win 10 very much...

Genealogy:

#13 mabeldin

mabeldin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 02:08 PM

Hi Nettie,

Well, it is noon on thursday and I have still not received the files you were sending.

if this email does not work, mabeldin@gmail.com, maybe you could try margiebeldin@gmail.com

Thanks, and I agree, I HATE Win10. I had 8.1 and it was working just fine but I thought I should upgrade and did not realize I had only 30 days to decide to revert to 8.1.

Win10 is sooooo slow, it stalls all the time, I have to click on something then go do the dishes or clean the car while waiting for a file or menu to open up. What a pain!!!!

Thanks

Margie

Margie

#14 sdkikikins01

sdkikikins01

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 04:49 PM

Hi Nettie!

I'm new here, but your technique sounds like exactly what I've been looking to apply to my own research and record-keeping!  I would be so appreciative if you would forward your revised pdf??  My email address is kimporterphotography@gmail.com.  Thanks so much, I really look forward to participating in this forum!  :)