• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Arthur

Arthur

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 07:32 PM

I love the fact that I'm prompted on close for backing up, but RM thinks I want the backup in my user folder, which is the last place it is safe in a crash. I can't find a way to change the default save location, so I have to navigate on every close to my backup drive, or just bag it this time. Sort of defeats the click once no-brainer. Help doesn't help. Ami I missing a control or preference setting? Thanks for any suggestions.

#2 Romer

Romer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2082 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 07:51 PM

Chose the path in the Folders tab under Tools > Program Options. "Backup files" is the relevant field.

#3 Arthur

Arthur

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 06:07 PM

I do have my preferred location specified in the default folders. The program still defaults to putting it in C:\users\[mylogin]\Documents unless I select "browse" and navigate somewhere else. Same if I select "File/Backup." I want the backup on my usb storage drive, and I have that specified in my Tools-Program Options-Folders list for "Backup files", but I still have to navigate to it. Is that the way it's supposed to work, or is there something hinky in my configuration? Not a big deal - just anoying and I'd fix it if I could. Thanks for any help.

#4 Arthur

Arthur

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 06:13 PM

Ne-VER-mind. I had an non-existent drive spec'd. I'm embarrassed but otherwise life is good.

#5 Glenn

Glenn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 562 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 08:53 PM

I like this idea of backups on the flash drive. Can someone tell me what I'm seeing when I have my USB plugged in?
When I’m looking at the “top level” (for lack of a better phrase), I see G: Flash Voyager (F:) . However, when I right click as if to rename, I only see G: Flash Voyager. Do I ignore the (F:) when entering the Default Folders backup section?

Additional Q: Which of the five fields (Multimedia, I think) did someone suggest keeping at the basic level of hard drive C:\ instead of C:\Users\Glenn\Documents\RM FAM TREES V5\Multimedia.

Glenn

Good real estate may be based on location, location, location;
but
good sources are based on citation, citation, citation!

Glenn

#6 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6435 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 09:24 PM

(F:) is the drive letter assigned by the operating system. "G: FLASH VOYAGER" is the name of the drive. It is confusing to have what appears as a drive letter (G:) to be in the name although it could be a useful reminder in the case of portable RootsMagic that its Folder options won't work if the assigned drive letter is different from the RM settings. Windows will assign the next available drive letter when the drive is first plugged in and may reassign the same drive letter to a drive with the same name on future occasions, provided the drive letter is not assigned to something else. That's why (Nettie or Laura?) has their portable RM on a flash drive that is set for Z:, the last letter that Windows can assign.

Your second question is a matter of user choice. You could have all RM related stuff in folders under C:\RM FAM TREES V5\. Arguably, if Multimedia are used by a mix of applications and not exclusively by RM or not solely for Family Trees, then a separate Multimedia hierarchy could be placed under the root of the drive. The nice thing about keeping things under C:\Users\username\My Documents|My Pictures|... is that Windows automatically incorporates them into its libraries and other software readily finds them; non-default paths require more intervention on your part (but can be included in Libraries). The nice thing about a user-defined path starting right at the root is that the pathnames can be much shorter than the defaults.

Tom user of RM7630 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#7 Glenn

Glenn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 562 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 02:44 PM

Thanks much, Tom.

Is any action required on the C drive before or after loading my USB for changing it to drive Z?
Does everything have to be in a specific sequence of steps?
I understand that "G: FLASH VOYAGER" will remain and what is changing is (F:) to (Z:). Correct?

Just a matter of curiosity: Do you know of any cases in which all 26 drive letters were exhausted by a computer? That really sounds far fetched! :o

I'm shortening the Multimedia default to C:\Users\Glenn\Documents\My Pictures.
That should work for my limited needs.

Glenn

Good real estate may be based on location, location, location;
but
good sources are based on citation, citation, citation!

Glenn

#8 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6435 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 08:41 PM

No action on C:.

In WinXP, I think you could re-map a drive by right-clicking on it but I don't see that feature in Win 7. It's more complicated. Here's a procedure I found: http://www.google.ca...5eFMSp0rBpYrNfw

Unless you rename it, your flash drive name will remain G: FLASH VOYAGER.

I'm not personally aware of a system using all drive letters but it is physically possible to do so.

Tom user of RM7630 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.