2 replies to this topic

#1 jonmira

jonmira

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 09:14 PM

I installed the "Rootsmagic To-Go" program on my flashdrive, so that I could view my files on my new laptop during the time I am researching.

I have many photos in my family files. In addition to "Rootsmagic-To-Go" I loaded all the photos folder/files that would be needed for the family file that I loaded on the flashdrive using "Rootmagic-To-Go."

When I viewed the file on the laptop, I, of course, saw the broken-links for all the photos. I then went to the "tools" and clicked on "fix broken links." However, I had to chose from many folders that were listed for a broken-link photo. This is very difficult with over hundred photos; of course, I selected many of the wrong folders.

What is the solution? Sould I just install the Rootsmagic program (forget about "Rootmagic-To-Go") on the laptop and load the family file(s) that I want?

Thanks for any suggestion.

John

#2 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6250 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 09:59 PM

You could choose to make the database and image folders on your flash drive your master or sole working database and media resource. Plug it into the desktop and work on the complete database and images there; plug it into the laptop and do likewise. As long as both computers see the flash drive with the same letter, e.g., "Z:", then the media will be correctly linked on both. Then you could use some utility to backup these files to your desktop and/or notebook, not for working on but merely for safety (or to the cloud, e.g., Dropbox). The flash drive will not operate as fast as a hard disk drive but you will have a simple setup: each RootsMagic program should have the same folder settings under Tools > Options > Program settings, I.e., pointing to the folders on the flash drive.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#3 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 02:47 PM

You can use search and replace to replace the part of the path that has changed globally for multimedia.

For instance:

old path to media on desktop is:

C:\My documents\Genealogy\Census\[filename]

new path to media on the jump drive is:

Z:\Media\Genealogy\Census\[filename]

Search, Search and replace will replace only the part of the path that is different:

Search for: C:\My documents\
Replace with : Z:\Media\