• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Norm Lewis

Norm Lewis

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 09:09 PM

I recently found an occupation fact for an individual that had a date, place, place details, but the description field was blank. Normally, I use the place details to identify the company, trade, or physcial place (ie high school) where the person worked. THe occupation I record in the description field.

Now, a couple of years ago, I migraged from a defunct genealogy program to RM, and once in an while I find things that didn't transfer. Not sure if this person's occupatin didn't tranfer or if it was operator error and I didn't type it in.

Got me to wondering if there were others with the occupation not listed in the description field. I use the Named Grouped Feature constantly for doing cleanups and locating groups of people I need to make changes to. So I though I would just do a search for the occupation fact where the description field was blank.

Problem is, description is not a choice in the drop down list. We have place, place details, value, note, source among others, but not description. I could have sworn this was there before, but maybe not.

Is there a technical reason in the database structure that prevents us from being able to search facts on the description field?

Thanks in advance.

#2 Norm Lewis

Norm Lewis

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 09:26 PM

FIgured it out. First set up the query for Occupation Fact exists is true, the occupation value is blank. I think that gets me what I was looking for.

#3 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 09:48 PM

There is another place you need to be aware of also where the description is not named description.

On a fact list, such as picking pfields of a fact to show on the People view or fact fields for a custom fact, you will see a list for each fact:

Census
Census date
Census place
Census place detail

Census is the description field.

#4 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3371 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 01:55 PM

There is another place you need to be aware of also where the description is not named description.

On a fact list, such as picking pfields of a fact to show on the People view or fact fields for a custom fact, you will see a list for each fact:

Census
Census date
Census place
Census place detail

Census is the description field.

As Laura has pointed out the event name without anything after if is the description field, in your case "Occupation"

I have various other events where I have enabled the description field so I can add quick research notes and be able to see them on the People View to help me forward my research, I find that quite useful.

“Your most unhappy customers are your greatest source of learning.” -Bill Gates

Procrastinate (verb) - delay or postpone action; put off doing something.

"Named groups are currently static. We will be addressing dynamic groups (for lack of a better name) down the road a bit...

We are having to temporarily remove some functionality that isn’t ready yet in order to get the program out like everyone is clamoring for" - Bruce Buzbee October 5, 2008

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.5.9, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5 (in order of preference)

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#5 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 04:24 PM

I have all the facts with the description field enabled in my database in case I want to add something like "at his parent's home" to the sentence.

He was born at his parent's home in City, County, State on Date.

I also have facts that I enter research notes in the description, But I don't usually do that for facts that I am going to export in a gedcom to be sent to someone else.

If I don't want the description field to print in the Narrative report, I don't add [desc] to the default sentence or I can customize the sentence to include or exclude it.

#6 Nettie

Nettie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1621 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 07:23 AM

FIgured it out. First set up the query for Occupation Fact exists is true, the occupation value is blank. I think that gets me what I was looking for.

I've had this happen with the description field added to the fact. Had to go look at the gedcom file that I have added to the database to find out what was not being added to RM. Yes found the information in the gedcom and a non known title so it did not add to the RM How I found it was printing a census fact report and items showed up in the printed Fact census report that were not showing up in the persons fact for that census.

In checking the persons data edit screen, the person had no fact for example, 1870 census but the information was in the printed report. Printed report has no RM number after person name and was attached to a Source citation. So looking at the gedcom helped figure out what was going on. Problem is now solved... :mellow:

Genealogy:
"I work on genealogy only on days that end in "Y"." [Grin!!!]
from www.GenealogyDaily.com.
"Documentation....The hardest part of genealogy"
"Genealogy is like Hide & Seek: They Hide & I Seek!"
" Genealogists: People helping people.....that's what it's all about!"
from http://www.rootsweb....nry/gentags.htm
Using FO and RM since FO2.0 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Named Groups, Descrption, Facts