• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 dkmjc5

dkmjc5

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 07:12 PM

I installed RM5 and CrossOver on my macbook. Everything went fine until I attempted to restore a backup of the database. The backup was created on our windows machine and stored on an external drive. When I do the restore from RM5, the backup file on the external drive is not found. I can see the file on the external drive when I browse using Finder.

Any suggestions?
Thanks!
Dave

#2 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6284 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 09:28 PM

What extension does the backup file name have. If it is not .rmgb, RM5 won't see it and maybe that says the backup was not made by RM4 or 5.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#3 dkmjc5

dkmjc5

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 05:39 PM

Tom,
Thanks for responding. The format is .rmgb and was created using RM5. I can copy it to my desktop and see it. I just can't get to it from the RM5 restore function.

Any ideas?

Dave

#4 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6284 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 11:11 PM

If you can see it on your Windows desktop, then the browser in the RM Restore function should also be able to see it when browsed to the desktop "folder".

SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#5 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8526 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 08:31 AM

You can open a support ticket and send us the backup (.rmgb) file. We will check if we can see it when trying to restore.

http://support.roots...us_requests/new
Renee
RootsMagic

#6 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 09:10 PM

I installed RM5 and CrossOver on my macbook. Everything went fine until I attempted to restore a backup of the database. The backup was created on our windows machine and stored on an external drive. When I do the restore from RM5, the backup file on the external drive is not found. I can see the file on the external drive when I browse using Finder.

Any suggestions?
Thanks!
Dave

I don't know much about CrossOver, but maybe the file needs to be saved on the Mac before RM5 running under Crossover can find it.

There is a You Tube video at by GenealogyTools, How to Install RootsMagic 4 on Your Mac

He creates a new database in the C:user\Crossover\My documents\folder.

The RM webinar, 24. Running RootsMagic on a Mac at http://www.rootsmagic.com/webinars/ might be of some help. It discusses using CrossOver in part of the webinar.

#7 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 09:19 PM

Wow! that was unexpected!

I entered the link to the You tube video in my post, and when I came back to the board, there was the "whatever you call it" to click on the arrow and play the video instead of just the link.

#8 Glenn

Glenn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 562 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 03:01 PM

Wow! that was unexpected!
I entered the link to the You tube video in my post, and when I came back to the board, there was the "whatever you call it" to click on the arrow and play the video instead of just the link.

Laura, just wondering if this is something new for the boards formats similar to one of the newest tools in RM5, that when adding a source, you can add it as a hyperlink.

Glenn

Good real estate may be based on location, location, location;
but
good sources are based on citation, citation, citation!

Glenn

#9 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 03:15 PM

Glenn, this is new to the boards.

I am using the newest version of RM, and entering a url in the source or anywhere else is still not creating a hyperlink for me in either a Free Form or Source template source. Nor do I know of any previous version which does.

Am I missing something?

#10 Glenn

Glenn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 562 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 04:30 PM

Glenn, this is new to the boards.

I am using the newest version of RM, and entering a url in the source or anywhere else is still not creating a hyperlink for me in either a Free Form or Source template source. Nor do I know of any previous version which does.

Am I missing something?

Well, I know I put a h-link in my DB that took me to --- found it! The best way I can think to descibe it is to copy/paste below:
Caption: Florida-Reynolds Marriage
Description:
Double clicking on this thumbnail (in the media album or in the gallery) will go to the web page of the Illinois Statewide Marriage Index, 1763–1900.
File: C:\Users\Glenn\Documents\RM FAM TREES\AA - Non RM Program Documents\Florida-Reynolds Marriage.mht
I can also go the source's image by clicking the view/edit button in the album.

Good real estate may be based on location, location, location;
but
good sources are based on citation, citation, citation!

Glenn

#11 Romer

Romer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2077 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 04:32 PM

An mht file is a saved internet page file. When you double click on it from within RM5, you're actually opening that file in Internet Explorer rather than connecting to an actual site/page on the internet.

#12 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 07:29 PM

Glenn, that is attaching a saved file to the Media, File and then linking that media to the source, not copying it into a source which I thought you were talking about.

To tell that file is linked to a file saved to the hard drive and not the actual web site, highlight the media file and check the right pane for the file path. Click on the icon to open the file in your browser. Look at the top of the screen at the file path and it will be the same path as is in the right pane not the web site. I use Firefox for my browser so if using a different browser the URL box may be in a different place.

Unless a Caption is entered by the user on the Properties, the Caption will be shown as the URL for the Web page on the file list.

#13 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 08:22 PM

I just downloaded the add ons for Firefox that makes it possible to save and read mht extensions and the URL for the Web page is not shown in the Caption when no Caption is entered for those files when saved by Firefox.

#14 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6284 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 05:16 AM

We're way off topic but one could have a media item that would open a website on the Internet. It would be a simple HTML file with a redirect. I can't imagine what use it might be, restricted solely to the media tool and not supported by reports.