Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 562 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 03:39 PM

How did my RM V5 get into a Program file? :huh:

Open RM V5 with icon in system tray
Pop up Welcome to RootsMagic displays:
1. V5 icon is in left top margin opposite the buttons for minimize, maximize and close.
2. V4 icon is in the main body to the left of “Welcome. . .” which is immediately above “What would you like to do?

Before I noticed the problem above, I was going to ask “Why does my RM5 DB look the same as RM4? :huh:

Could that have anything to do with the fact that, in trying to keep V4 intact, I copied my main DB and used the copy to export to a GEDCOM file; then opened V5 and imported the new GEDCOM?

What specifically new to V5 could I use to prove a “twin” version or just “younger sibling” version?

I also discovered I'm running in "To Go" mode when I didn't use the "To Go" icon. :(

Glenn

Good real estate may be based on location, location, location;
but
good sources are based on citation, citation, citation!

Glenn

#2 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6284 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 09:22 PM

I don't understand your problem except for the last sentence. You are running the portable version of RootsMagic. Either you started it from your portable drive or you installed it on your local drive and started it from there. It's an easy mistake using RM To Go to install portable RM to your local drive. However, no Windows Registry changes are made so there should be no change to file associations or to icons.

The best way to migrate a database from RM4 to 5 is to make a copy of the RM4 dB and open it with 5. Exporting to GEDCOM and importing to 5 may result in changes and losses you would rather not have happen.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.