14 replies to this topic

#1 A Descendant

A Descendant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 05:34 AM

I downloaded the latest update this morning and have a question or two about it. The list of updates is at http://forums.rootsm...e-history-5040/
One of the items says that [otherpersons] now works for shared role sentences. Am i understanding this right that we can now use other the roles in the sharees sentence, not just the principal? Because if so, its not working for me!
I checked some of the other things on the list and it says the alternate name as an option on the People View has been removed. But on my people view i still have a check box to show alternate names!
The one new thing, shared events included in the "Who Was There" report, does seem to be working.

Have I done something wrong?? The version number in the About screen is current, so it seems the update did install.
Am I misunderstanding the list of updates?... :wacko:

#2 Nettie

Nettie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1655 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 06:56 AM

I checked some of the other things on the list and it says the alternate name as an option on the People View has been removed. But on my people view i still have a check box to show alternate names!

I also have the check box and can turn alternate names on or off.. In People View..

Ugh my emotions still do not work... pull down menu is there but no smilie faces icons...

Genealogy:
"I work on genealogy only on days that end in "Y"." [Grin!!!]
from www.GenealogyDaily.com.
"Documentation....The hardest part of genealogy"
"Genealogy is like Hide & Seek: They Hide & I Seek!"
" Genealogists: People helping people.....that's what it's all about!"
from http://www.rootsweb....nry/gentags.htm
Using FO and RM since FO2.0 

#3 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6268 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 07:46 AM

What was removed is the choice of a column of alternate names, not the option to have alternate names listed in the permanent Name column.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#4 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8493 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 10:09 AM

It was discovered that the "Alternate Name Date" field was previously available when customizing the People View. This option was deleted. (It wasn't working anyways.) If you had that column already in the People View it will remain there but blank. You will need to go into customize this view and delete the blank column.
Renee
RootsMagic

#5 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8493 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 10:15 AM

One of the items says that [otherpersons] now works for shared role sentences. Am i understanding this right that we can now use other the roles in the sharees sentence, not just the principal? Because if so, its not working for me!
:wacko:

The [OtherPerson] works if you use it in the Sharee's Role Sentence Template. The sentence will list the other witnesses sharing that fact.
Renee
RootsMagic

#6 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6268 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 01:04 PM

It was discovered that the "Alternate Name Date" field was previously available when customizing the People View. This option was deleted. (It wasn't working anyways.) If you had that column already in the People View it will remain there but blank. You will need to go into customize this view and delete the blank column.

And Altrrnate name column also was not working. Having these as working columns is preferable to not having them at all so I guess they should now be on the Wish List. ;)

Edited by TomH, 10 July 2012 - 01:05 PM.

SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#7 A Descendant

A Descendant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 02:23 PM

The [OtherPerson] works if you use it in the Sharee's Role Sentence Template. The sentence will list the other witnesses sharing that fact.

Thanks Renee! I was trying it just customizing a single sentence on the edit person screen, and for some reason the change won't show on that screen. But it actually was working.

Edit:
Actually, now i'm having all sorts of trouble with sharees sentences. Some of the sentences are displaying a totally different sentence than what they are supposed to, with role and gender switches being all mixed up (Male being reffered to as "her", a parent being referred to as a spouse, etc). When I click customize sentence it is displayed correctly. How is it drawing things into a sentence that aren't at all part of the template?
Also, as I mentioned above, when trying to customize a single sentence the screen won't show the changes correctly as it used to. That is, you could change switches and roles and things in that single sentence and it would show the change, but now it won't do it. I'm beginning to see why some don't use shared facts.

#8 A Descendant

A Descendant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 04:37 PM

Perhaps my response above didn't make much sense... Anyway the facts I'm having trouble with are custom Census facts with various roles that show different sentences based on whether the sharee was a spouse, child, grandchild, etc. of the head of house.

After working with it, the problem seems to be that all the sharees are showing the same sentence, no matter which role I choose. Its like I've somehow lost the ability to have more than one role in a fact. If i remove a sharee from a fact, then reattach them (making sure the role is correct) , it will change the sentence for all sharees.

Edit (again...): I created a totally new test database. I entered a husband, wife, children, and husbands father. Then I created a custom fact with 3 roles (besides Principal) with 3 different sentences. I added the fact to the main person, then shared it with his children, father, and wife. And it does the exact same thing. The sentence for the children, and husbands father, show the sentence for the wife, as she was the last one added to the share list.

So... I'm guessing its not a database problem as I created a new one. So is there something wrong with the update? Anyone else having problems like this?

#9 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 09:18 PM

Perhaps my response above didn't make much sense... Anyway the facts I'm having trouble with are custom Census facts with various roles that show different sentences based on whether the sharee was a spouse, child, grandchild, etc. of the head of house.

After working with it, the problem seems to be that all the sharees are showing the same sentence, no matter which role I choose. Its like I've somehow lost the ability to have more than one role in a fact. If i remove a sharee from a fact, then reattach them (making sure the role is correct) , it will change the sentence for all sharees.

Edit (again...): I created a totally new test database. I entered a husband, wife, children, and husbands father. Then I created a custom fact with 3 roles (besides Principal) with 3 different sentences. I added the fact to the main person, then shared it with his children, father, and wife. And it does the exact same thing. The sentence for the children, and husbands father, show the sentence for the wife, as she was the last one added to the share list.

So... I'm guessing its not a database problem as I created a new one. So is there something wrong with the update? Anyone else having problems like this?

I agree that the sentences are all identical after the latest upgrade.
They seem to be using the last role sentence.

I created a six person database with RM 5.0.3.1 while I was waiting for the new upgrade.
The narrative descendant report shows the census report as:
First Generation

1. John Henry Smith was born on 19 Jan 1874. He appeared in the household of Henry Smith as his father in the 1930 census of Ward 1 in Howard, SD. He died on 20 Dec 1950 at the age of 76.

Dorothy Oshea was born (date unknown).

John Henry Smith and Dorothy Oshea had the following child:

+2 i. Henry Smith, born 13 Jan 1900; married Mary Jane Jones, 14 Feb 1925.

Second Generation

2. Henry Smith (John Henry-1) was born on 13 Jan 1900. He appeared in the census on 1 Jun 1930 at Ward 1 in Howard, SD.

Henry Smith and Mary Jane Jones were married on 14 Feb 1925. Mary Jane Jones was born on 20 Jul 1903. Mary is listed on the Ward 1, Howard, SD census of 1 Jun 1930 as Henry Smith's wife. She died on 3 Mar 1978 at the age of 74.

Henry Smith and Mary Jane Jones had the following children:

3 i. Mary Jean Smith was born on 6 Mar 1926. Mary was listed on the 1 Jun 1930 census of in Howard, SD as the daughter of Henry Smith.
4 ii. Robert John Smith was born on 23 Jun 1928. Robert was listed on the 1930 census of Howard, SD as the son of Henry Smith.

----------------------Then I installed the new upgrade, 5.0.4.0 and did the same report:
First Generation

1. John Henry Smith was born on 19 Jan 1874. He appeared in the household of Henry Smith as his father in the 1930 census of Ward 1 in Howard, SD. He died on 20 Dec 1950 at the age of 76.

Dorothy Oshea was born (date unknown).

John Henry Smith and Dorothy Oshea had the following child:

+2 i. Henry Smith, born 13 Jan 1900; married Mary Jane Jones, 14 Feb 1925.

Second Generation

2. Henry Smith (John Henry-1) was born on 13 Jan 1900. He appeared in the census on 1 Jun 1930 at Ward 1 in Howard, SD.

Henry Smith and Mary Jane Jones were married on 14 Feb 1925. Mary Jane Jones was born on 20 Jul 1903. She appeared in the household of Henry Smith as his father in the 1930 census of Ward 1 in Howard, SD. She died on 3 Mar 1978 at the age of 74.

Henry Smith and Mary Jane Jones had the following children:

3 i. Mary Jean Smith was born on 6 Mar 1926. He/she appeared in the household of Henry Smith as his father in the 1930 census of Ward 1 in Howard, SD.
4 ii. Robert John Smith was born on 23 Jun 1928. He appeared in the household of Henry Smith as his father in the 1930 census of Ward 1 in Howard, SD.

=======================
So, fixing something broke something else. Aint it as kick in the teeth? :angry:
Alfred

#10 A Descendant

A Descendant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 04:23 AM

Well I'm glad I'm not the only one with the problem! It is a shame though that it messed things up so.

#11 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6268 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 07:16 AM

The shame is that these supposed fixes or enhancements, all minor, get rolled out without having been tested, causing havoc among users and destroying confidence in the ability of the developers. It's not as though there has been insufficient time to get them right.

#12 RootsFL

RootsFL

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 09:32 AM

As someone who uses shared facts extensively, I'm beginning to feel a little panicky. Hopefully 5.0.4.1 will be out quickly to correct these problems.

Steve
Steve C. in FL

#13 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8493 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 10:18 AM

We should have a new update out shortly to fix this issue.

As for beta testing, this one's my fault. I'm not really good at sentence templates and didn't test for areas it might of broke.
Renee
RootsMagic

#14 Ludlow Bay

Ludlow Bay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 868 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 11:13 AM

We should have a new update out shortly to fix this issue.

As for beta testing, this one's my fault. I'm not really good at sentence templates and didn't test for areas it might of broke.

All is forgiven. You were too busy, no doubt, updating the tracking system - what with the flood of enhancement requests that made it into this latest release .........

#15 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 10:13 PM

This sharee sentence problem seems to have been solved with 5.0.4.1.
Alfred