16 replies to this topic

#1 mapleleaf

mapleleaf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 550 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 01:20 PM

Under Lists > Fact Type List, we can see the roles assigned to each fact type by editing the fact type.

I have a fact type called "Event" and I have 5 roles assigned. The role "Principal" is at the top.

However, when I'm in the edit person screen and click Share on an Event fact type, select a person, the "role" that is showing is the second of my 5 assigned roles. "Principal" is in third place in the drop-down menu. I would like the role types to default to my favorite role - Principal - so that I don't always need to click the drop-down and change it for each person I add.

Is there a way to change the default order of roles? If not, I'm requesting that feature.

RM 5.0.3.1
~ Debbie

#2 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 03:49 PM

The "principal" is the sharer.
I wouldn't think you would want to add that role to anyone else.

If "principal" shows up as a role from the edit person window's call for "share" then it must be a role you have added.
Now, how do you tell the sharer from one of the sharees if if both their roles are "Principal"?
Alfred

#3 mapleleaf

mapleleaf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 550 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 04:10 PM

It's very possible it was a role I added.
It's not easy to tell them apart, but that's how it's been set up, and probably too late to change now.

I just want to be able to have Principal show at the top rather than Witness. I supposed I could delete Witness since I don't use it.
~ Debbie

#4 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 05:19 PM

When you go through the fact types list to edit that particular fact, does the Role column list Principal, Witness, Principal... from top to bottom?

If it does, you could edit the second "Principal" role, changing it's name to "Main" or something.
You cannot change the name of the original Principal role.
Alfred

#5 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 05:22 PM

I forgot to mention that I think the role names are listed in the order they were added.

((I liked the old Forum format better, I could edit something there. But then, I am just old, senile and set in my ways. :)
Alfred

#6 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3403 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 10:32 PM

((I liked the old Forum format better, I could edit something there. But then, I am just old, senile and set in my ways. :)

When the forum format changed, I initially found "several" things I couldn't do anymore. Within a few hours, I found a way to do all of them but one. And the one I still can't find is the one cited by Alfred, namely fixing a typo in a post I just completed. Needless to say, such situations arise immediately after after I have proof read the message 10 times looking for typos and failing to find any. :)

Jerry

#7 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 12:05 AM

Another one is that I cannot add my picture :(
(--That would probably bring the whole site completely down--)
Anyway, I cannot seem to figure out how to edit my profile. :P

Typing those emoticons might work, if I could remember them, but I cannot seem to choose one.
It looks like font size and color work. ;)
I suppose Invision will get it all working before too long.
I don't suppose that we can blame Bruce for this. ;) Darn it! ;)
Alfred

#8 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 12:19 AM

Scratch that!

I saw Jerry's little empty box picture and accidentally clicked on my picture outline, that opened my profile, I had been tryine the link at the upper right corner where the dropdown under my name says "Your Profile" which didn't work.

Any way, I used Paint to make a box 2 by 4 pixels as my photo, To me, It looks less silly than the blank outline.
Alfred

#9 mapleleaf

mapleleaf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 550 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 01:25 AM

A discussion about the new forum has already been started here:
http://forums.rootsm...le-forum-board/
~ Debbie

#10 mapleleaf

mapleleaf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 550 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 02:08 AM

When you go through the fact types list to edit that particular fact, does the Role column list Principal, Witness, Principal... from top to bottom?

If it does, you could edit the second "Principal" role, changing it's name to "Main" or something. You cannot change the name of the original Principal role.

The choices as seen in the Edit Fact Type screen for "Event" fact type:
Principal
Witness
Author
Primary
child

The choices as seen in the Edit shared event screen:
Witness [it defaults here]
Author
Primary [I want this one to be the default]
child
add new role type. . .

"Principal" is not even listed now. Maybe I was looking at a different fact type in my original post.

In any case, "Primary" is the role type I like to use most. It's showing as the 3rd role type when I'm in the screen where I want to choose a role type for a shared person. I want it to show as the 1st role type at all times when I use the Event fact type.
~ Debbie

#11 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 04:17 PM

Principal is not a sharee role.

The Principal is the person you linked the fact to whether the fact is shared or not and will not be shown on the choices for sharee roles in the memu on the Edit Shared event screen. It cannot be deleted or renamed. The default sentence is the sentence that any fact will use whether shared or not shared.

On a Sharee's Edit person screen, the Principal's name is listed before the Place in the fact Detail column.

Sharee roles can be deleted or renamed.

Debbie, since the Witness role can be renamed to whatever role is wanted to be at the top of the sharee's role menu when sharing, you may be able to rename the Witness role to Primary.

Copy the default sentence for the original Primary role and paste it into the new one. Then delete the original role.

The sharee roles for the sharee's will default to the new Primary role which was the Witness role. Any customized sentences on the Edit person screen will be retained.

However, if you had used the Witness role for anyone, their role will now be Primary also.

Try this out by dragging and dropping people with sharred facts into a new database or a copy of your main database first.

And as usual, backup or copy your main database before making any changes in it.

#12 mapleleaf

mapleleaf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 550 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 03:14 PM

I think I finally "get it" about the Principal role.

Thanks, Laura, for the help. Renaming the Witness role and deleting the duplicate worked great. I guess that would be considered a work-around to get the roles to sort so my favorite is at the top.

Maybe Renee will make a note for an enhancement request - to be able to sort the roles in the order I want, so my favorite is at the top of the list.
~ Debbie

#13 mapleleaf

mapleleaf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 550 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 03:32 PM

OK, now I'm seeing something strange. Some shared facts are showing nothing in the sentence of an edit person screen. The Shared persons all have the same role assigned (Primary). Text is filled in the Description and the place and date. I clicked "Close" on the edit person window, then went back into edit, but the Sentence still shows nothing.

I tried changing roles to something else and closing the edit screen. The "Save" button is grayed out. Nothing seems to be working. I can't get a sentence to appear.

My Primary template is: [Desc]< [PlaceDetails] in>< [Place:Plain]>< [Date]>.

. . . . I just restored my backup. The Sentence still does not appear! I guess changing the roles (renaming Witness) had nothing to do with the problem! So I wonder what the problem could be!
~ Debbie

#14 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6145 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 03:44 PM

Possibly some corruption in the file. Try File > Database Tools > Rebuild Indexes.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#15 mapleleaf

mapleleaf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 550 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 03:58 PM

OK, I just rebuilt, Tom. Database integrity is "ok". I also compacted.

Checking into this further (there are 4 people sharing a fact), I notice that two people are showing a sentence, and two people are not showing a sentence.

I removed the 2 people who were sharing the fact, then re-added them as shared. Now the sentence appears for all 4 people.
~ Debbie

#16 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6145 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 04:22 PM

Then it is likely a consequence of deleting a role that was used by the sharees that ended up with a blank sentence. I haven't tested the theory.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#17 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8314 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 05:06 PM

Maybe Renee will make a note for an enhancement request - to be able to sort the roles in the order I want, so my favorite is at the top of the list.

Confirming enhancement request is in our tracking system. Along with the one asking to alphabetize the roles list. The RootsMagician will have to decide on that.
Renee
RootsMagic