15 replies to this topic

#1 John_of_Ross_County

John_of_Ross_County

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 670 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 01:17 PM

It appears that the time stamp on messages only works for "Today" and for "Yesterday" on the main menu pages It seems as if worked before or is it just my imagination?

#2 mapleleaf

mapleleaf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 561 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 01:24 PM

After today and yesterday, I see June 30 next.

In the email notices, there's also some oddities - I'm see html text such as
<div class='callout'>

:o :blink:
~ Debbie

#3 Nettie

Nettie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1661 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 10:38 AM

Glad this was started, as have mentioned in other topics what I could not do.

In the reply to this topic emotions do not work at all nor do a flip down for the list. I see Alfred also mentioned this. So I am not the only one.
Can see all the icons on the bottom but that means nothing to me rather than have the forum work would be better.

Genealogy:
"I work on genealogy only on days that end in "Y"." [Grin!!!]
from www.GenealogyDaily.com.
"Documentation....The hardest part of genealogy"
"Genealogy is like Hide & Seek: They Hide & I Seek!"
" Genealogists: People helping people.....that's what it's all about!"
from http://www.rootsweb....nry/gentags.htm
Using FO and RM since FO2.0 

#4 Glenn

Glenn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 562 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 11:40 AM

". . .emotions do not work. . ."
Nettie, you must be one cool lady to keep your emotions in check when you come upon those frazzling, frustrating brick walls! :o
Here, perhaps, are a couple of clues.
1. While first in the composition stage, I see Post Options in the right side panel with "Enable emoticons?" box checked; there is nothing below the composition box except the three buttons to add, preview and cancel.
2. Above the composing frame are the various tools; top line contains the smiley face :) which turns the emoticon panel on and off. With that panel on, you can select from the old range of faces. At the moment, I can see the faces I've used so far in the post preview panel.
This is the first time I've used the new post format (which I like a lot after getting used to it.) Of course, I won't know until clicking the reply button if the emoticons stay :rolleyes:!
Thank you, Bruce.

Glenn

P. S. They stayed and worked! Thanks again, Bruce.

Edited by Glenn, 07 July 2012 - 11:43 AM.

Good real estate may be based on location, location, location;
but
good sources are based on citation, citation, citation!

Glenn

#5 Nettie

Nettie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1661 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 02:50 PM

Glenn thanks for the laugh on my part....

The emotion button on the top line does NOT work and Enable emotions is checked...... Flip down panel is empty...

I like the look
check Like This wherever it goes does not look like it works.... Maybe something in my settings of Firefox is causing this also...

Before retirement, I was the person between the IT department programers and the business unit trying to fix software which was not working and had a lot of tough conversations...

Genealogy:

#6 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6284 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 03:29 PM

I don't know if this is the fault of the IPS Board software, the RootsMagic underpowered server, my ISP's DNS server, my router, my computer + Win7 +IE9 but the "Go to the last post" link (e.g. http://forums.rootsm...ew__getlastpost) from any of the contents pages returns an error "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage". Yet I don't seem to have this issue on my iPad. Hmmm, nor do I have it with Chrome at the moment, so I guess it's an IE9 thing, although I thought I had it with Chrome before. Does anyone else with IE9 have the same problem or is it just me? :wub: :wacko:

Edited by TomH, 07 July 2012 - 03:31 PM.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#7 Nettie

Nettie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1661 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 03:35 PM

Mine is happening in Firefox. Won't use Explorer and have not used Crome for several years.

Genealogy:

#8 mapleleaf

mapleleaf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 561 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 03:59 PM

Why is my avatar not visible in the forum, but it's visible in my profile?
~ Debbie

#9 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6284 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 08:09 PM

Why is my avatar not visible in the forum, but it's visible in my profile?

I cannot even get an uploaded photo to display in the Change my avatar page or whatever it is called. I got the Gravatar link to work but leaving the Profile and back to the Forum, no sign of my Gravatar image, despite refreshing. And back to the Profile, it was gone! That was with IE9.

Had a look with Chrome and it's all there, not signed in and stayed when signed in.

So there is something fishy depending on the browser, at least for display of the avatar, and possibly the upload (I had tried uploading with Chrome unsuccessfully).

If your avatar has an X, you can get back to the default avatar using Change > Remove photo.

SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#10 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3670 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 11:01 AM

Like Alfred, I tried to upload a photo. It won't work. No biggie there, but I really would like to edit and fix a typo, which I could do in the old forum. I'm hoping these things are just configuration settings rather than actual bugs in the forum software.

Other glitches: I can't find spell check. When you "hover over" an icon, there is no text that pops up to tell you what the function of the icon is. Some of the icons are obvious enough, but others are deep mysteries and I need the "over hover with text popup" functionality.

Jerry

#11 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6284 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 03:40 PM

Like Alfred, I tried to upload a photo. It won't work. No biggie there, but I really would like to edit and fix a typo, which I could do in the old forum. I'm hoping these things are just configuration settings rather than actual bugs in the forum software.

Look for the gray Edit link to the left of the MultiQuote button on your messages in addition to the Report link on all messages. Maybe your monitor does not provided enough contrast to reveal these controls.

#12 Glenn

Glenn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 562 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 09:24 PM

NETTIE
. . . I like the look check Like This wherever it goes does not look like it works.... Maybe something in my settings of Firefox is causing this also...

I explored Firefox but:
it was different and …
I’m not too patient learning something similar but different …
so I stayed with the old standby I-Net Explorer (Win7)
I’ll also have to try the Like This button

Well, at least I got a message, <_< even though I don’t remember voting for anything! :o You have reached your quota of positive votes for the day :(

TOMH
I don't know if this is the fault of . . .Win7 +IE9. . .

I know I have Win7, but not sure of IE9 as I have something that’s only #3; might be MS Word or Excel.

. . .error "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage". …
I have seen this message, so I just use Alt+<ARROW LEFT> as many times as needed to get me back to the forum subject with all its replies including my newly-added one.

Glenn

Didn't even have to arrow back this time :D :D :D

Good real estate may be based on location, location, location;
but
good sources are based on citation, citation, citation!

Glenn

#13 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 09:41 PM

Some things are improving.

I could edit before, but the save changes button did nothing, now my edits are saved with it.

Now, I can see the red underline of my misspelled words, which I didn't a few hours ago.

Clicking on the little smiley face icon now gives me a drop down to choose from, before this I had typed in the colon and parenthesis or something to show an emoticon.

SO, THINGS ARE LOOKING UP!

I don't seem to be able to add my photo yet, but that is to everyone's advantage. <_<
Alfred

#14 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3670 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 07:26 AM

Look for the gray Edit link to the left of the MultiQuote button on your messages in addition to the Report link on all messages. Maybe your monitor does not provided enough contrast to reveal these controls.

Yes, I found the Edit button. The lack of contrast is a serious problem - like the button was grayed out and therefore unusable, but I did find it.

However, upon clicking Edit and making my change, the button to save the change was totally non-responsive. The save didn't time out or anything like that. It's like I hadn't even clicked the button. And yes, I was correctly logged on. If I hadn't been, the Edit button wouldn't have worked in the first place.

Jerry

P.S. I tried the Edit button again in this message to add the postscript, and it worked today. So maybe something has been fixed?

#15 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3670 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 05:04 PM

Like Alfred, I tried to upload a photo. It won't work.

Jerry

Hey, my picture suddenly appeared, and I didn't do anything to fix it. Apparently a lot of minor glitches in the new Forum system are being solved pretty quickly.

Jerry

#16 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8526 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 09:45 AM

We are using the latest version of IPS Boards and RootsMagic has a very limited amount of controls. Since we are seeing the usability of features fluctuating it must be IPS Boards working on their issues.
Renee
RootsMagic