Photo

Adding a series of facts that are very similar - why can't I 'memorise' like I can with sources?

Facts Copy Memorise

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 KaitlinB

KaitlinB

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 11:09 AM

I am working with the London Electoral Rolls at the moment and using them to confirm addresses for my family members. My Great Grandfather has entries every couple of years from 1919 until 1952. Currently I am having to manually enter a new fact [I have created my own Electoral Roll fact type] and then cut and paste the information into individual fields or just re-type the data. The only part I can copy properly is the source data which I can memorise.

It would be much easier if I could 'memorise' all the information for a given fact type. It is tedious enough when working within one person but when I am trying to copy similar facts between different people is ridiculously difficult at the moment.

If anyone else has a better work around I would love to hear any suggestions!

#2 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8780 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 11:46 AM

Confirming enhancement request is in our tracking system.
Renee
RootsMagic

#3 Nettie

Nettie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1696 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 12:49 PM

It would be much easier if I could 'memorise' all the information for a given fact type. It is tedious enough when working within one person but when I am trying to copy similar facts between different people is ridiculously difficult at the moment.

If anyone else has a better work around I would love to hear any suggestions!

We've been waitiing for this since Ver 4 came into being. It was in the old versions. as Renee says it is in the tracking system list.

I do the US census records that way.. Did discover that cnt + m memorize does not go to the clipboard, so I copy to the clipboard what is identical for each in the desc section. I use both of them. Makes it a little easier.

Hoping it comes soon.

Genealogy:
"I work on genealogy only on days that end in "Y"." [Grin!!!]
from www.GenealogyDaily.com.
"Documentation....The hardest part of genealogy"
"Genealogy is like Hide & Seek: They Hide & I Seek!"
" Genealogists: People helping people.....that's what it's all about!"
from http://www.rootsweb....nry/gentags.htm
Using FO and RM since FO2.0 

#4 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3551 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 01:14 PM

I see Renee has added it but things like this just cannot come quick enough for me so I want to add my vote.

Keeping ones customers and their important views at a distance is never a good approach

User of Family Historian 7.0, Rootsmagic 7.6.3

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#5 Romer

Romer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2092 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 08:34 AM

I don't believe this feature was in previous versions of RM, but know that it's been requested in the past.

#6 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6444 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 09:04 AM

Copy Fact to Group and Globally add fact to group offer a couple of ways to workaround this limitation in RootsMagic. We remain ever hopeful that there will be some integrated facility in RootsMagic.

Tom user of RM7630 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#7 graemewi

graemewi

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 02:37 PM

I'm currently evaluating RM with a view to moving from Legacy. Currently Legacy has an ability to copy and paste an event (with attached sources) - very handy for census events where I'm adding it to members of the household. I'll keep an eye on RM for this feature as it's one I've become quite attached to in Legacy.

Cheers,

G

#8 MVS

MVS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 326 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 02:12 AM

With the limitations (or variations in functionality) of Shared Events I would definitely drop using them IF there was a completec copy and paste function available.

In theory, Sharing Events is a more sophisticated option that repetitive copy/paste and allows for any error to be corrected just the once (rather than needing to update all the individual events that might contain the same data from a copy/paste action). But with the limitation of how Shared Events are handled within RM, and the lack of a statement from the Rootsmagician as to where this functionaility is heading, I think it is currently a dead end with too many consequential problems. (eg incompatibility with Media Tagging).

Not using Shared events also means you can export a GEDCOM that can be understood by other programs or utilities.

MVS.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Facts, Copy, Memorise