4 replies to this topic

#1 A Descendant

A Descendant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 05:26 AM

Is there some way to find, or generate a list, of people based on their children?
For example, suppose i want to know all the mothers who had children over the age of 50, or suppose I want to know all the couples who had children before they were married, or perhaps find all the couples who had more than 10 children, etc. You get the idea.
So far I've not been able to figure out anyway to do this. Am I missing something or is it just not possible?

#2 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3369 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 11:11 AM

Is there some way to find, or generate a list, of people based on their children?
For example, suppose i want to know all the mothers who had children over the age of 50, or suppose I want to know all the couples who had children before they were married, or perhaps find all the couples who had more than 10 children, etc. You get the idea.
So far I've not been able to figure out anyway to do this. Am I missing something or is it just not possible?

There's no real way to do it within RM5. It's probably doable with an SQLite query outside of RM5, but the query would be considerably more complex than the ones I usually do.

There are already wish list items for being able to search on number of children, number of parents, and number of spouses. If these wish list items were satisfied, you would be part of the way to what you want but not all of the way there. SQLite queries on these three items would be considerably simpler than things like mothers who had children over the age of 50.

The ability to find mothers who had children over the age of 50 or couples who had children before they were married introduces a whole new level of complexity. The problem for these searches is that your Boolean logic needs to be able access data from more than one person at the same time based on how the individuals are related.

Jerry

#3 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 11:22 AM

You can go to the tools menu and choose Problem search -> Problem list.
There check only the box for the item in which you are interested.

You can then "Print" the listing which really just shows it in a page format which you can then save to a file or send to the printer.

I know of no way to list families according to the number of children.
Alfred

#4 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 11:55 AM

On the Problem list, you can click on the Edit Person or Edit family and add notes in a searchable format to the person, family, for facts for a search for a Custom report or link a user defined fact.

For mother's over 50 who had children, check the Mother's age should be between box you may have to change the ages to 1 and 50 to get just a list of children whose mother's were over 50.

I can't think of anyway to get a report of parents who had more than 10 children from RM's built in reports either.

The quickest way I can come up with to find those people is to create a Group, Mark group, Marriage exists is true. Unmark, either Sex is male or Sex is female.

Use family view as the main view. As you highlight each person in the Group, you can see the number of their children in the family view.

Add either searchable notes to the marriage fact or link a family user defined fact.

Only you can decide if you are just curious or if you will be accessing that same data later often enough to add notes or facts.

#5 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 01:20 PM

Thinking further about a Group of people with more than 10 children, you could color code those with more than 10 children the same color. Then Edit the Group and unmark Color code is not [color].

If you have permanent color coding, you could color code a copy of the database and use the Group or report made using the Group in the copy to manually mark a Group in the main database. How much work that would be would depend on the number of people that would need to be marked.

I would access the copy of the database from RootsMagic opened from a jump drive and the main database opened from RootsMagic on my laptop hard drive. Then I could use Windows to tile them vertically and not need to close out screens to change databases when having 2 databases open with just RootsMagic open on the hard drive. I use one color scheme for RM on the jump drive and another for RM on the hard drive.

If I was just relying on the Group and not entering in notes or user defined facts, I would keep a current text file of an Individual report or Custom report with just names so I could recreate the Group if needed. Groups do not transfer by Drag and drop or gedcom.