7 replies to this topic

#1 Radishes

Radishes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 10:10 PM

I have RM3 on my laptop. I bought RM4 for my wife to use, since it can run on a flash drive. Now the question is how to get RM4 on her machine.

I haven't tried anything yet, so I"m open to all suggestions, but I did have a couple of ideas.

The easiest would be to download RM4 on her machine, using the product key that I think is on the CD. If this is possible at all.

If it isn't, then the next thing I would try is to load it on my machine, move it to a flash drive, and then she could run it all the time off that.

In order to get my data into RM4 for her, could I backup RM3, restore that file to RM4, then move RM4 to the flash drive? Or should I do it the GEDCOM way?

What do the RM4 Wizards say about this?

#2 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 11:37 PM

RootsMagic 4 and the Place Database can be downloaded at

http://rootsmagic.co...d/RootsMagic-4/

Then use the registration key that comes with the CD or the key you received in an email to unlock the full program. I would also suggest you register the program key with RootsMagic when you install it so that if you ever lose the key, you can contact them for the key.

RM4 cannot import a backup from RM3.

Copy the RM3 database to a flash drive and then save it to your wife's hard drive. You can use the Files, Copy feature within RM3 or copy it in Windows Explorer.

Open RM4 on your wife's machine and go to File, Import. Check the RootsMagic (version 1-3) box and click whichever button you choose, for RM4 to find the RM3 database or to tell RM4 where the file is on the hard drive.

RM4 will convert the RM3 database to a RM4 database.

Or you can do it by gedcom if you wish.

#3 John_of_Ross_County

John_of_Ross_County

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 663 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 03:20 PM

I have RM3 on my laptop. I bought RM4 for my wife to use, since it can run on a flash drive. Now the question is how to get RM4 on her machine.

I haven't tried anything yet, so I"m open to all suggestions, but I did have a couple of ideas.

The easiest would be to download RM4 on her machine, using the product key that I think is on the CD. If this is possible at all.

If it isn't, then the next thing I would try is to load it on my machine, move it to a flash drive, and then she could run it all the time off that.

In order to get my data into RM4 for her, could I backup RM3, restore that file to RM4, then move RM4 to the flash drive? Or should I do it the GEDCOM way?

What do the RM4 Wizards say about this?

I would download directly to her computer. If you download on your computer, make certain that you save the file, then copy it to a flash drive. Or save it directly to the flash drive. Then install RM on her computer from the flash drive. I do not believe that she could run the RM program directly from the flash drive. RootsMagic-To_Go is an entirely different concept. I do not believe that is what you are looking for. I believe that RM agreement would allow you to have RM4 on both computers at the same time as long as only one copy is in use at the same time.

#4 Glenn

Glenn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 562 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 02:10 PM

Then use the registration key that comes with the CD or the key you received in an email to unlock the full program.

Finding that email (or how I find it):
I have all my messages directed to different folders. In the RootsMagic folder I have subfolder "New Key - Reregister on dd mmm yyyy". Then when I want to find it without necessarily opening my email, I user the search program (key between Ctrl and Alt) and type "Registration Key".
I find that saves time waiting for new incoming messages, especially when I don't want to see all of today's new messages until later.

Glenn

Good real estate may be based on location, location, location;
but
good sources are based on citation, citation, citation!

Glenn

#5 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 03:07 PM

I don't depend on email alone.

I have a RM database named RootsMagic Keys with just the keys in it which I update to new versions of RM. The database is saved to Google Docs and Dropbox and jump drives and my portable hard drive.

When I add a new key to the database, I save a custom report as a text file and save that to the hard drive of my laptop. That text file is saved in the same places as is the database.

I also register every key with RootsMagic so I could ask them for the key.

#6 Radishes

Radishes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 09:18 PM

I would download directly to her computer. If you download on your computer, make certain that you save the file, then copy it to a flash drive. Or save it directly to the flash drive. Then install RM on her computer from the flash drive. I do not believe that she could run the RM program directly from the flash drive. RootsMagic-To_Go is an entirely different concept. I do not believe that is what you are looking for. I believe that RM agreement would allow you to have RM4 on both computers at the same time as long as only one copy is in use at the same time.

Now tell me where I can find the download for RM4. I haven't seen it on the products page or the download screen.

#7 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 10:25 PM

Updates can be found at: RootsMAgic Updates
Alfred

#8 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 11:22 PM

I posted the link for the web site in my first post on this thread.