13 replies to this topic

#1 Mackay

Mackay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 07:30 PM

I have watched the excellent "Publishing Your Family History" webinar twice now, taking notes the last time. I still have a few questions:

1) I want to publish a history, beginning with my father, and going back as many generations as I have information. If I choose to include a narrative report for him and his ancestors and children, will it include, for each successive generation back, information on both mothers and fathers, or just my father's father, his father, etc? Ideally, I would like a separate, less detailed chapter for each of the auxiliary lines -- a chapter for his mother's line (Smith, e.g.), a chapter for his paternal grandmother's line (Day), etc. In some cases, the wives' families were more interesting than my direct male line. Would I need to choose his mother, for instance, as the starting person for a separate narrative report and choose how many generations to go back on her line?

Obviously, the farther I go back, the less information I have, but it all is pertinent in a history of my father's family.

2) I understand that I can include photos, other than the primary photo, with the published history by adding a scrapbook page. Do I have a choice as to how photos are laid out on a scrapbook page?

3) I have tried to flesh out my database by adding extensive notes. I had envisioned supplementing the narrative report with text pages, giving an overview of the time in which each generation lived, what current events were, plus additional information about each generation. Now that I have extensive notes, though, I fear they will duplicate each other. What's best -- to just add the historical data to the person notes, or to go back and eliminate duplications between the text pages and notes?

Would appreciate hearing from anyone who has had experience publishing a family history.

#2 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5538 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 09:53 PM

I have not published a family history but have generated narrative reports and used the Publishing tool. It is really easy to make these reports and books and experiment with the options to learn how they will come out. You won't harm anything by trying and the results you get will be far more informative for your special needs than the answers the rest of us can give you. That said, the RM ancestors report will include all ancestral lines grouped by generation. You could exclude Notes from your ancestral report going way back and include them in other ancestral or descendant reports for special people of interest but there will be much duplication of facts, nonetheless.

The Scrapbook report is very limited in layout - you can control the number of photos per page and whether captions and descriptions are included, landscape or portrait and a few other things. You cannot have within one Scrapbook (for a person, or a family, for example), different settings for each page, let alone each photo. All will be sized equally and captions and descriptions must be kept very short else they are incompletely revealed.

As to the tradeoff between separate text and embedded notes, really only you can decide. The virtue of embedded notes is that whatever person or lines you publish, only those notes pertaining to the persons included will come out - of course, that might also be a disadvantage, if context is lost. As much as we would like RM to generate a highly readable book from what we have put in, you will rapidly find that both your data and the tool are a long way from being able to do so and that post-generation editing and supplementing is necessary.

Tom user of RM7230 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> Rmtrix_tiny.png app, a growing bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#3 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 11:55 PM

1) Both paternal and maternal ancestors and each couple's children are printed for the starting person.
First Generation:
1. Starting person [His/her spouse(s) and children are not included.
Second Generation:
2. Starting person's father
3. Starting person's mother
Their children
Third Generation:
4. Starting person's paternal grandfather
5. Starting person's paternal grandmother
Their children
6. Starting person's maternal grandfather
7. Starting person's maternal grandmother
Their children
etc.

2) If you have multiple linked photos in a Media Album you can arrange those photos in the Media Album. Media Album screen, Tools, Rearrange media items.
Fact linked photos will link in the sort order of the fact. If you want to completely control the order media prints in, you can link all the media to the person's Media Album, Rearrange the media items as you wish. Media can be linked to as many Media Albums as you want. In the Scrapbook, choose to print for the Person.

3) You can create persons named Addendum A, Addendum B etc. and put your suplimental notes in the general note or into a linked fact note for the Addendum person . Link them as the last child or children of the last parents that will print in the report so they print last.

You can leave the notes where they are and privatize the notes for any one other than the first person who the same notes would be printed for. Don't print private notes in the reports.

Or, if you are using Publisher, you could create separate Narrative reports for each Addendum without having them linked to anyone in the report.

Im Publisher, you can do Add, Other report, Special sections, Text page to add a page to which you can title the text page and enter the text.

#4 Mackay

Mackay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 04:38 AM

Thank you both for your helpful replies. I will try those tips and also try to get up the nerve to just try different options until I get close to what I want.

#5 Mackay

Mackay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 03:44 PM

Thanks to all, especially Laura. After nights and nights of frustrating trial-and-error and nearly going blind, I have published a 200-page family history. I probably made it harder than it needed to be. As a writer in another life, I wasn't happy with the way the software's narrative function strung facts together. I wanted more creativity and control. The only way I could figure to do that and eliminate duplications was to RETYPE all the notes I wanted -- from 13 generations -- in the way I wanted, in the teeny-tiny box, with about 5-point type on a blank Text Page. I could find no way to cut and paste or copy. Some of my text pages went on for 8 or 9 pages. Then I printed out family group sheets WITHOUT notes. I also added pedigree charts, and the scrapbook pages turned out pretty good, thanks to your advice.

NOW...I have a 200-page family history, but the only way I know of to distribute hard copies to my family is to have it copied at Kinko's or Staples, with a cover. If I wanted to pay for it to be printed as a paperback book -- i.e. vanity or online press -- is there any way to convert what I have to a disc or convert it to a single, e-mailable document? Or am I stuck with what looks pretty much like a college thesis?

I eventually want to do the other side of my family. What should I do differently?

#6 Nettie

Nettie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1508 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 08:14 AM

A suggestion. If you want to do a pdf and sell it go to Lulu.com, other genealogists are doing this and big copies like Michael Hait's new Oneline Sources many over 500 pages is going for $19.00 pdf. Read how lulu.com does this for you. There are other places that do this also but lulu.com in my opinion offers the best choices. I do my publishing in word, transferring over to Word as an rtf then I can control the dups and notes etc,, add table of contents, and Cover pages.

Genealogy:
"I work on genealogy only on days that end in "Y"." [Grin!!!]
from www.GenealogyDaily.com.
"Documentation....The hardest part of genealogy"
"Genealogy is like Hide & Seek: They Hide & I Seek!"
" Genealogists: People helping people.....that's what it's all about!"
from http://www.rootsweb....nry/gentags.htm
Using FO and RM since FO2.0 

#7 Mackay

Mackay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 12:46 PM

Nettie, thank you. I'll check it out. Now how would I convert the whole thing to a PDF??

#8 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3289 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 12:53 PM

Nettie, thank you. I'll check it out. Now how would I convert the whole thing to a PDF??

The Report Viewer in Publisher has a <Save> button and one of it's output types is a .PDF file

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#9 Mackay

Mackay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 01:29 PM

Wow. Didn't know that!!! I just checked out Lulu, and it looks pretty promising. I don't want to sell my family history, just make enough copies for my family. (I'm choosing to use names and specifics about living persons...)

#10 beachkay

beachkay

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 08:30 PM

I've checked out Lulu and some other online publishing sources. I see that some of them require that the PDF be sent to them with certain margins, embedded fonts, etc. I've finished my family history and have saved it as a PDF, but, as a PDF, I can't adjust margins, etc. I saved it as a RTF, too. I'm using a Mac, with Parallels and Windows 7. Some of these publishers ask for it in a Word document. Any suggestions on how I can work around this? Or do I just need to ask the publishers directly. I think some of them don't allow person-to-person phone calls about a project unless you buy a package upfront.

Anybody else published from a Mac?

#11 beachkay

beachkay

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 08:04 AM

Just wanted to update: I looked at various online publishers, ended up with DiggyPod and were VERY happy with them. The PDF I made from my family history, using RM Publisher, worked like a charm. (Thanks to those who told me how to make a PDF of the publisher version.) My book is being bound and will be mailed to me next week. I found the process far easier than I had expected, thanks to RM's publisher feature, and Diggypod's excellent customer service. And the price was quite reasonable. Now I'm ready to do the other side of the family.

#12 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5538 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 03:43 PM

Thanks for the info about DiggyPOD - their prices look amazing. Let us know how your finished product turns out. I've asked for a sample to see if they ship north of the border.

SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> Rmtrix_tiny.png app, a growing bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#13 beachkay

beachkay

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 02:28 PM

TomH, DiggyPOD did an amazing job with my family history! The quality of paper is excellent, and I was most impressed with the cover they came up with. I picked among a group of prototypes, then sent my own photos, headlines and copy. The result was extremely professional. The quality of the books is quite high. And, as I may have said before, the customer service was beyond what one would expect. I was assigned a real person at each step of the publishing process, and we talked by phone several times. Never was i not able to reach someone directly. The only glitch was my own fault. Stingy me, I failed to pay for a proof. And I also mistakenly assumed that the PDF I sent from my RMdatabase would be exactly the book that I saw and printed out from RM. Not. For some reason, the PDF would not accept six photos per scrapbook page -- 2 on 3 lines --- so the PDF left out the bottom row of photos on each scrapbook page -- but printed the cutlines.

Before I sent out my books to my family members, I made photo copies of the photos and hand=pasted each one onto the missing spot. What resulted was less than professional looking, but I figured they'd rather see the photos than blank spaces.

Given the reasonablle cost of publishing via DiggyPod, I plan to do a second printing. I've experimented and think I can use just 4 photos per page, increasing the page count. I viewed it as as PDF and it seemed to look OK.

Bottom line: I would HIGHLY recommend DP, and will use them again.

#14 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5538 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 09:56 PM

Thanks for the report. Regrettably, they tale only US customers.