5 replies to this topic

#1 Mackay

Mackay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 06:03 PM

I know there have been lots of questions about eliminating duplicates. I have one, too, and am not sure previous solutions will work for my situation.

I have several instances where children are repeated in the family view...e.g. John Doe appears as child #2 and child #3. He does NOT appear twice in the index. I tried to change one John Doe to a Johnny Does and eliminate him, thinking RM would leave John Doe. Nope, it eliminated BOTH of them. Luckily, I had tried this on the youngest child in my database, so it was easy to put him back in. But the experience has scared me from trying to eliminate any other duplicates.

I HAVE viewed the webinar on cleaning up your database, but I'm still too nervous to try even a manual merge, if indeed that's what I need to do.

Thanks for any help -- or confidence!

#2 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 06:09 PM

Do a backup, JUST IN CASE...

Unlink him from the parents, If that gets rid of both instances, add him as their child again.

In family view, get so you can see his parents and him and his siblings.
Right click on one of him and choose unlink from parents.
If both instances go away, click on the parents and hit the "c" key to add a child.
Choose to sdd existing child and choose him.
Alfred

#3 Mackay

Mackay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 07:12 PM

Alfred, thanks for the quick reply.

1) I have done a back-up. If I screw up, how do I retrieve the back-up? (Sorry, know that's a 101 question...) Every time I exit RM, I choose to back up, but I'm never sure where the back-up exists and how to check it....

2) The names I need to clean up, beyond John Doe, are several generations back, with extensive notes, events, both ancestors and descendants. If I unlink one and RM gets rid of both, it will eliminate him entirely from the database, right? That would create problems far up and down my lines.

Thanks again....

#4 John_of_Ross_County

John_of_Ross_County

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 663 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 07:49 PM

I know there have been lots of questions about eliminating duplicates. I have one, too, and am not sure previous solutions will work for my situation.

I have several instances where children are repeated in the family view...e.g. John Doe appears as child #2 and child #3. He does NOT appear twice in the index. I tried to change one John Doe to a Johnny Does and eliminate him, thinking RM would leave John Doe. Nope, it eliminated BOTH of them. Luckily, I had tried this on the youngest child in my database, so it was easy to put him back in. But the experience has scared me from trying to eliminate any other duplicates.

I HAVE viewed the webinar on cleaning up your database, but I'm still too nervous to try even a manual merge, if indeed that's what I need to do.

Thanks for any help -- or confidence!

I have at least one family some 200 years ago where an infant died and the parents used the same name for another child.

#5 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 08:38 PM

Alfred, thanks for the quick reply.

1) I have done a back-up. If I screw up, how do I retrieve the back-up? (Sorry, know that's a 101 question...) Every time I exit RM, I choose to back up, but I'm never sure where the back-up exists and how to check it....

2) The names I need to clean up, beyond John Doe, are several generations back, with extensive notes, events, both ancestors and descendants. If I unlink one and RM gets rid of both, it will eliminate him entirely from the database, right? That would create problems far up and down my lines.

Thanks again....

Unlinking a person from his parents DOES NOT remove him or any of his facts from the database, so you can relink him to the parents without loosing anything.

Backups are RESTORED under the Files menu. It will search for them if you don't know where they are.
BUT, if you had gone to the Tools menu and set the FOLDERS options, you could have told the program where to put them. You can still do that, in fact you should, then you will know where any future files are to be located.

If you are going to unlink someone from an unfamiliar family, you should probably take notes of the names and record numbers of the family people, OR, just drag and drop that family into a new empty temporary database for reference while you work on them in the main database.(Drag the father or mother and descendants and spouses, roll the generations down to "2" to get just the one family)
Alfred

#6 Mackay

Mackay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 04:41 AM

Unlinking a person from his parents DOES NOT remove him or any of his facts from the database, so you can relink him to the parents without loosing anything.

Backups are RESTORED under the Files menu. It will search for them if you don't know where they are.
BUT, if you had gone to the Tools menu and set the FOLDERS options, you could have told the program where to put them. You can still do that, in fact you should, then you will know where any future files are to be located.

If you are going to unlink someone from an unfamiliar family, you should probably take notes of the names and record numbers of the family people, OR, just drag and drop that family into a new empty temporary database for reference while you work on them in the main database.(Drag the father or mother and descendants and spouses, roll the generations down to "2" to get just the one family)

Alfred, thank you again!!