• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Billt

Billt

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 08:48 AM

In a census fact (not Family) I have the roles wife and withparents. How do I show the Name of the wife as mother in the childs output.
The sentence I am using is [thisPerson] appeared on the [Date:Year] UK Census in the household of [thisPerson:HisHer] father [person] and mother [wife]
but it only prints [wife] and not her name.
Many Thanks

#2 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 12:36 PM

You don't.

The roles can be linked to the sharer, not other sharees.
Alfred

#3 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 06:52 PM

You can customize the sentence on the Edit person screen and manually add the mother's name.

Or you could enable the description field for the Census fact and enter the mother's name in that field for the Census fact on the Edit person screen and add < [desc]> to the fact sentence instead of [wife]for the role(s) you use for children.

You could have [thisPerson] appeared on the [Date:Year] UK Census in the household of [thisPerson:HisHer] father [person] and mother < [desc]> and just enter the mother's name in the description field.

Or, you could have [thisPerson] appeared on the [Date:Year] UK Census in the household of [thisPerson:HisHer] father [person]< [desc]>
and enter 'and mother, Jane' in the description field.

#4 Jack

Jack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 834 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 11:37 AM

I sometimes add a residence fact that tells a reader someone was in the household with their parents on the date of the census. And, I only do that to track families with large number of children. Otherwise, the reader (or I) can read the family census extract that I include for the parents. That includes the names of all the children, their ages and anything else given that I believe important, depending census year.

Example:

<[name:given]> resided in the household with his/her parents on <[date]>.

For me, adding roles is not something I relish.
Jack

a posteriori

#5 Nettie

Nettie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1655 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 06:53 PM

This is what my sentence looks like. it uses the census fact date [date on the exact record sheet] and place plus.... This is the way it looks in a Narrative report.

The 23 Aug 1860 census record says, Margaret is listed in the household of herself, age 36, as head of household, 2000 acres of real estate value $1000 born in France living in Conewango Township, Warren County, Pennsylvania.

To me once a place is listed with the fact you know they were living there at that date. If I don't have a fact that says where it is located then I use the Residence Fact....

Template looks like this
The <[date:plain]> census record says, <[person:first]> is listed in the household of <[Person:HisHer]>self, age <[desc]><[placeDetails]>< [place]>.

word 'self' gets changed to parents if it is a child, themselves if a couple etc. customized on the persons details sheets.

A personalized face sentence template, the global one is:
Sentence template: The <[date:plain]> census record says, <[person:first]> is listed in the household of <[Person:HisHer]> father <[person]> age <[desc]><[placeDetails]>,< [place]>.

<[person:first]> can be <[person:casual]> to pick up nicknames.. father can be change to parents or mother, depending on who is the head of the household...

citation for the above template is:
Martha [Margaret] Somers, 1860 Federal Census, United States, population schedule, Conewango, Warren County, Pennsylvania, p 732 [s] p 733 [s], H 1819 F 1817; Microfilm M653, r 1190. (accessed 7 Nov 2007, ancestry.com)

Details Text:

1860 United States Federal Census
Household Members:
Name Age
Martha Somers 36 Head of household farmer
Mary Somers 16
Saloma Somers 13
Elizabeth Somers 11
Peter Somers 8
George Somers 5
John Somer 4
Wendell A Somers 6/12 [Lena]
Peter Somers 79 [not head of household]

Comment Text:
Margaret is the correct name, Martha is what was read by ancestry.com indexers. I have her death record and Lena is my gt grandmother and have her information, A Message was left in ancestry.com comment box as to correct name. There are no relationships recorded on 1860 census records. Margaret is listed as age 36, owns 2000 acres of real estate and the value is $1000. born in France.

Makes for a long footnote, but that is what I want. :)

Genealogy:
"I work on genealogy only on days that end in "Y"." [Grin!!!]
from www.GenealogyDaily.com.
"Documentation....The hardest part of genealogy"
"Genealogy is like Hide & Seek: They Hide & I Seek!"
" Genealogists: People helping people.....that's what it's all about!"
from http://www.rootsweb....nry/gentags.htm
Using FO and RM since FO2.0 

#6 A Descendant

A Descendant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 04:53 AM

I too wish it were possible to use the other roles in the sharees sentence. Sometimes I think the census sentence would be more clear if it could show both members of a couple, rather than just the head of house. Of course I know that is possible using a family fact but I don't really like those for censuses

#7 Billt

Billt

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 12:03 PM

Many thanks for your responses. I will trial them to see how they work.