• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Beth Callaway

Beth Callaway

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 08:16 AM

I am new to the full version of Roots Magic. I have just starting using the merge features. When I manually merge two people ( and I have lots of duplicates due to merging in another file from another software ) I end up with two sets of parents and siblings. Is there a safe way to correct this error? I am afraid of unlinking because I don't want to lose the data that is now entered. I just want to take out the duplicates when I know they are duplicates...as in deleting duplicate facts. I can check both and delete the one with the least amount of information.

Is there a simple way?

Beth

#2 Nettie

Nettie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1621 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 08:44 AM

I am new to the full version of Roots Magic. I have just starting using the merge features. When I manually merge two people ( and I have lots of duplicates due to merging in another file from another software ) I end up with two sets of parents and siblings. Is there a safe way to correct this error? I am afraid of unlinking because I don't want to lose the data that is now entered. I just want to take out the duplicates when I know they are duplicates...as in deleting duplicate facts. I can check both and delete the one with the least amount of information.

Is there a simple way?

Beth

Have you looked at the Webinars. If your duplicate parents have different numbers [file numbers] attached I would merge them.:) I have had that happen many times. Do not delete individuals :oor unlink them, unless you know for sure they do not belong in your database.

If they are the same file numbers, watch the last webinar that was done and Bruce has a simple solution.

Genealogy:
"I work on genealogy only on days that end in "Y"." [Grin!!!]
from www.GenealogyDaily.com.
"Documentation....The hardest part of genealogy"
"Genealogy is like Hide & Seek: They Hide & I Seek!"
" Genealogists: People helping people.....that's what it's all about!"
from http://www.rootsweb....nry/gentags.htm
Using FO and RM since FO2.0 

#3 Beth Callaway

Beth Callaway

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 12:58 PM

Have you looked at the Webinars. If your duplicate parents have different numbers [file numbers] attached I would merge them.:) I have had that happen many times. Do not delete individuals :oor unlink them, unless you know for sure they do not belong in your database.

If they are the same file numbers, watch the last webinar that was done and Bruce has a simple solution.

Thank you!! Once I started checking the file numbers and merging the people, the duplicates started disappearing!!

I really appreciate your help!

Beth