6 replies to this topic

#1 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 03:42 PM

I created 3 user defined facts, Problem research, NoProblem, and Unresolved Problem.

When I run the Tools, Problem list, I check all the boxes using RM's defaults.

After I highlight each person on the Problem list and either correct the problem using the Edit person or Edit Family or link on of my user defined facts to the person, I add the person to the Not a Problem list to take them off the Problem list.
When I finish working each person, the Problem list will be blank. And, when I run the Problem list again, any problems on the list will be new ones.

I highlight the first person on the list and attempt to correct the problem using the Edit person and/or the Edit Family features.
If I am successful and the problem is fixed and will not show up on the list again, I do not need to add one of the other facts to the highlighted person.

If I link one of my facts to the person, I copy the Problem from the right pane of the Problem list and paste it into the description field of the fact.

If the Problem isn't really a problem such as I have a child linked to a parent and step parent or the child was adopted so that child's birth is before the parent's marriage, I link the NoProblem fact to that person. I add a short explanation why it isn't a problem to the description field. If a longer explanation is needed that goes into the fact note.

If I need to do some research to resolve the problem, I link the Problem research fact.

After I do the research needed as shown in the Problem Research fact, I can change that fact to either the Unresolved Problem fact if unable to resolve or to the NoProblem fact if resolved.

I can add To Do's or Research logs, Research Items to target where I need to do the research or what sources I checked in my research.

#2 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2956 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 02:54 PM

Laura, would this not be better placed as an enhancement request or at least a discussion as to how the problem list could work better to serve the needs of users?

If you learn to swerve and avoid a pot hole everyday would it not be better to fill in the pot hole?

“The best preparation for tomorrow is doing your best today"

Current user of Rootsmagic version 7.5.0.0, Family Tree Maker 2014 and Legacy 8.0 on Win 7

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#3 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5467 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 03:33 PM

I think this is a genuine tip/hint that stands on its own merit. It's a way of using the database tools currently available, yes, and maybe there is a potential enhancement that could obviate these procedures. But what is powerful about Laura's procedures includes:
  • exposes Problem management to RM's Search, Group, Source and Reporting tools and its main editing views
  • elaborates the Not a Problem list with explanation
  • the Problem* facts get carried over on a Drag and Drop to another database and can help with the construction of the Not a Problem list in the target
  • potential for the Problem* facts to import into 3rd party software, subject to the latter's ability to work with custom facts
  • uses familiar, core RM techniques - no new user interface
Those attributes seem to me to qualify her suggestions exceedingly well as belonging in Tips and Hints, along with the probability that their replacement with an enhancement to the program may be a long time in coming.

Tom user of RM7230 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> Rmtrix_tiny.png app, a growing bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#4 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2956 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 04:03 PM

I think this is a genuine tip/hint that stands on its own merit. It's a way of using the database tools currently available, yes, and maybe there is a potential enhancement that could obviate these procedures. But what is powerful about Laura's procedures includes:

• exposes Problem management to RM's Search, Group, Source and Reporting tools and its main editing views
  • elaborates the Not a Problem list with explanation
  • the Problem* facts get carried over on a Drag and Drop to another database and can help with the construction of the Not a Problem list in the target
  • potential for the Problem* facts to import into 3rd party software, subject to the latter's ability to work with custom facts
  • uses familiar, core RM techniques - no new user interface
Those attributes seem to me to qualify her suggestions exceedingly well as belonging in Tips and Hints, along with the probability that their replacement with an enhancement to the program may be a long time in coming.

I stand corrected.....

Current user of Rootsmagic version 7.5.0.0, Family Tree Maker 2014 and Legacy 8.0 on Win 7

Root

#5 c24m48

c24m48

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2613 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 04:30 PM

. . . . what is powerful about Laura's procedures includes:

I love this tip from Laura. Also, all of Tom's comments are extremely well said. But I wanted to point out the comment I quoted above for special commendation.

There are a number of RM's tools that I don't use, not because there is really anything wrong with them, but because they are not "exposed to RM's Search, Group, Source and Reporting tools and its main editing views". I use a lot of facts in a manner similar to Laura. And I use such facts for all kinds of reasons in addition to problems - missing data, to do lists, "to done" lists, etc. A user is limited only by their imagination.

Mostly, I don't use user defined facts but instead I use the built-in Reference Number fact. The truth is, the "reference number" doesn't have to be reference number, but can be any character string whatsoever. Sometimes I have wished I used more user defined facts instead of Reference Number facts for these purposes, but the practical effect is the same either way because I can search or filter on the reference number. And when RM's tools are sometimes not quite robust enough for my purposes, I can easily create very simple and very flexible SQLite reports based on my Reference Number facts. Finally, I can easily export or not export the Reference Number facts, depending on the needs of the export.

Jerry

#6 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2956 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 04:38 PM

I'm still standing....................corrected

Problem is I believe everything can be programmed............................and it can

Root

#7 Nettie

Nettie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1507 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 06:28 PM

I have used Laura's suggestions as a fact/event and also the built in To Do list, but find they are not working for me. so when I run into an issue and need to find an answer, I have been doing my own To Do list in Evernote out side of RM. the my list is in front of me and can see if I had already taken care of it or the progress on it. Yes there could be some better programming this part of RM..

I use the fact Reference Number for the family genealogy books, that I have that has an id number attached to it. So like for the Chandler book, The desc says "Chandler #395" especially when the ID number is also the page number or "LeMaster ch 2 -# 250".

Genealogy:
"I work on genealogy only on days that end in "Y"." [Grin!!!]
from www.GenealogyDaily.com.
"Documentation....The hardest part of genealogy"
"Genealogy is like Hide & Seek: They Hide & I Seek!"
" Genealogists: People helping people.....that's what it's all about!"
from http://www.rootsweb....nry/gentags.htm
Using FO and RM since FO2.0