2 replies to this topic

#1 A Descendant

A Descendant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 04:41 PM

My first wish is in regard to sharing facts. I think it would be nice, when working with a shared fact, to have a quicker way to change a witnesses's role, and access their note.

For example, suppose you add a census fact to John Smith then share it with his daughter Jane Doe.
Then you go to Jane Doe's edit person screen and click on the shared fact.
Would it then be possible, right below or near the "share" button, to have a pop-down menu to quickly see or change the role of Jane Doe. And perhaps a button to go directly to the note for the witness, Jane Doe.
As it is, you have to go through 2 clicks to change a persons roll or access their witness note. I personally never use the witness note, as I usually forget that it's available!

My second wish probably has already been requested, but I'd like to be able to use the fields for other roles of a shared fact in a witnesses sentence. It seems that they only work in the principal's sentence.

Example - I like the way a family census fact sentence reads for the children of the couple (listing them as appearring "in the household of John and Jane Smith" or something similar) but I don't really like where the narrative report places the family census fact for the couple. So i was trying to come up with an individual fact sentence to include both of the names, but then realized it wouldn't work using role fields because the witness sentences don't seem to be able to draw names using the other witness fields.

Hopefully this all makes sense, and perhaps some good ideas or improvements may come of it!

#2 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3348 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 04:09 AM

My first wish is in regard to sharing facts. I think it would be nice, when working with a shared fact, to have a quicker way to change a witnesses's role, and access their note.

For example, suppose you add a census fact to John Smith then share it with his daughter Jane Doe.
Then you go to Jane Doe's edit person screen and click on the shared fact.
Would it then be possible, right below or near the "share" button, to have a pop-down menu to quickly see or change the role of Jane Doe. And perhaps a button to go directly to the note for the witness, Jane Doe.
As it is, you have to go through 2 clicks to change a persons roll or access their witness note. I personally never use the witness note, as I usually forget that it's available!

I makes perfect sense and just helps illustrate what users want, I know as I have directly submitted the above wish myself.

Apart from a quicker way to change the Role as you suggested, I also wished for the large amount of white space to the right of the Role to show the beginnings of any existing Shared Event Note.

This could be "Alfred officiated at the marriage......." or "Mary read a dedication to her life long friend....". Information such as this is valuable for continuing research and should not be hidden from any initial view, otherwise the user would be unaware of it being there.

There have been various other Shared Event wishes so hopefully some will come about in the not too distant future.

“Your most unhappy customers are your greatest source of learning.” -Bill Gates

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.5.9, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5 (in order of preference)

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#3 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8291 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 11:45 AM

Confirming enhancement requests are in our tracking system.
Renee
RootsMagic