• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Vickil

Vickil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 01:25 PM

I really need help on this one. I am trying to find the best way to handle photos and documents on your PC. I have an older desktop that I have most of my files on. A lot of the photos are not named or organized. I had purchased photoshop elements 7 and was working on a group of pictures, but later learned that if the photo was moved, etc that the photo would be lost. Now I have a new laptop and trying to get set up to work on my files. Is elements the best way to keep up with your photos, etc? The one thing I really liked was being able to tag each photo for each person in the picture. But, because I will probably have to move my photos to the new computer, have I created another problem? What does everyone else use? Any better ideas?

#2 Nettie

Nettie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1636 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 04:47 PM

I really need help on this one. I am trying to find the best way to handle photos and documents on your PC. I have an older desktop that I have most of my files on. A lot of the photos are not named or organized. I had purchased photoshop elements 7 and was working on a group of pictures, but later learned that if the photo was moved, etc that the photo would be lost. Now I have a new laptop and trying to get set up to work on my files. Is elements the best way to keep up with your photos, etc? The one thing I really liked was being able to tag each photo for each person in the picture. But, because I will probably have to move my photos to the new computer, have I created another problem? What does everyone else use? Any better ideas?

Hi have use Photoshop elements for many years. I would move them to the new computer using the same file folders. Nothing is lost if you moved it, if you deleted it yes it is probably in your recycling bin. I do not use' my documents' but created a folder call Genealogy and made sub folders under it and have all of genealogy items includiing photos there in the Genealogy folder. Can find them again. :)

Genealogy:
"I work on genealogy only on days that end in "Y"." [Grin!!!]
from www.GenealogyDaily.com.
"Documentation....The hardest part of genealogy"
"Genealogy is like Hide & Seek: They Hide & I Seek!"
" Genealogists: People helping people.....that's what it's all about!"
from http://www.rootsweb....nry/gentags.htm
Using FO and RM since FO2.0 

#3 Vickil

Vickil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 04:20 PM

Nettie-Thank you for responding. Can you further explain how I transfer my files? I believe that the photos are in an Elements file. I don't remember setting up files for the pics. I have the program installed on my new laptop. So I should just find the file where the pics are at and install it on my new latop? Or, what if I want to store the pictures on an external hard drive? Will that make a big difference?

And, let me further complicate things. What if I rename the files? Since I did not really set up a filing system, just let the computer name it, what if I want to set the files up with surnames, etc?

Thank you for all your time and help.

#4 Nettie

Nettie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1636 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 11:15 PM

Basic Computer knowledge to me means all files are on the C: drive which is your main drive.
Using Window 7, Click the big ball with Windows logo [in the bottom left hand corner of your screen] in it which is also the Start Menu, in the right hand column you should see Computer with a arrow to a list and the first one is OS (C:) click on the OS(C:) and you will get the list of files & folders on the PC. in the upper right hand corner is a box that says Search OS (C:)

I would put in the box *.jpg that will search for all pictures, unless you have ending like .psd for Elements. If you do have .psd make sure when you are fixing pictures in Elements you also save one as a .jpg so they can be accessed by RM. That search searches the whole hard drive for files.

Notice when you get the list the file pat looks. like C://My Documents/ etc... Then set up in RM Tools/Program Options/Folders to the file folder you found where your pictures are at. F1 key or Help menu in RM also explains Tools/Program Options/Folders probably better than I am.

I hope I did not get too basic with information, but could not tell how much you knew from your message.

Transferring from your old computer to your new one can be done many ways. Microsoft has a process possibilities [never have used it]. I use an external USB port to keep a copy of my genealogy files on and that made it easy to move them from the old computer to the new one especially when my old laptop/PC went belly up last Jan. I back up my files about every two weeks to the USB external drive, others use the Dropbox.com or the Cloud for their backup files. I also make sure my e mail addresses are backup also. Many choices. I can not say enough about making sure you back up your files. There have been free Webinars & reminders by Thomas MacEntee of GeneaBloggers.com about backups and also Dick Eastman in his blogs.

Genealogy:

#5 Nettie

Nettie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1636 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 11:18 PM

Renee remove the first message with spelling errors for me thanks...

Genealogy:

#6 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8412 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 09:23 AM

Sorry Nettie, I deleted the wrong one. Just thought it was an exact duplicate and deleted, before reading your message.
Renee
RootsMagic

#7 Nettie

Nettie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1636 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 04:06 PM

Okay Just hope the thought is carried thru..

Genealogy:

#8 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6213 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 11:07 PM

I quite like Google's PIcasa software for managing my photos. It features a folder tree navigation view that includes not only drive folders but also virtual albums and people albums as folders. A virtual album can comprise selected photos from any number of drive folders. People folders are all those photos for a person having a named face tag. PIcasa does a pretty remarkable job of picking out faces in photos and grouping like faces together.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#9 Paul Harris

Paul Harris

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 08:14 PM

FWIW, if anyone is looking for the absolute BEST product for managing digital assets with comprehensive cataloging, versioning, etc., check out the following:

www.idimager.com

Their support area can also lead you to a very active user forum.

#10 Newbie-6

Newbie-6

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 03:36 PM

. A lot of the photos are not named or organized.

Keeping track of photos, documents file or anything on your computer requires a name. Be crative. A creative file name can be very useful in reducing the amount of time you apply to managing those files. I make the file name as descriptive as possible. For my genealogy files I start the file name with the Year, Item Type and Persons name.

ie; 1940 Census for James Cagney (pic, jpg, doc, etc etc). I can continue with the example:

1940 Census Image for James Cagney - the choices are endless.

If there is more than one James Cagney, I might use 1940-45 Census for James Cagney. The "-45" might be a Page Number, Image Number, Age or whatever you want it to be. This method sorts the files by year and is easily found when scrolling a long list of Images or other files.

I continue with descriptive Folder and Sub Folder names.

I consider file and folder names to be critical to an organized fille system.

#11 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6213 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 04:21 PM

I consider file and folder names to be critical to an organized fille system.

That is a truism, given the premise is an "organized file system". But that's not the only way to be able to find things easily. Meta tagging frees one from having to respect the constraints of some structured file/folder naming convention, e.g., that census image for James Cagney might be relevant to other persons and families. That one file can have many tags which can be used for searches and filters. It will be found just as easily whether in a structured filing system or in one fat folder. PIcasa, as one example, supports meta tagging of image files in addition to facial tagging, virtual albums and folder view.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#12 Nettie

Nettie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1636 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 09:30 PM

Pictures/jpg's are named like 1850KYCampEllis.jpg year means census [don't have to use the word census in file name] Then state, county. Surname. Be consistant and keep it simple. No spaces is a good way to do them. If more than one jpg for Ellis in that county use Ellis1 or Ellis2 etc.. other years for tax or land like Tax1787VAEllis.jpg. Keeps it simple. :)

What does 0 warning points mean? where did it come from....... Guess I better not do messages anymore....

Genealogy: