4 replies to this topic

#1 jonmira

jonmira

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 01:43 PM

I have not found the birth record of some of my relatives; however, I do have the marriage records. With this information, I can calculate the approximate birth date each relative.

Do I use the marriage record information for the birth source citation, with or without a notation that the date of the birth was calculated from the marriage information? Should I use the "free form" source citation?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

John

#2 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 03:29 PM

I enter ca 1859 [approximate birth year determined from the marriage record, census record, etc.] in the date for the birth fact and link the source as a birth source as well as to the marriage, census, etc. fact. There are other date modifiers which can be used.

I may not put a note if I only have one source for an approximate date since the source is linked. I put transcriptions from the source in the source detail text as well as in the note for each fact, marriage, census, etc.

If I have more than one birth date or approximate birth date from various sources, I put a note in the Birth fact to give the date each source gives me, and discuss why I used the date I entered into the birth date.

I link all the various sources which gives me insight into the birth data to the Birth fact.

Whether you use Free Form sources instead of source templates depends on if you will be exporting gedcoms for use in a third party program as other programs will probably not import the sources made with source templates correctly. I use Free Form since I export gedcoms to be imported to a gedcom viewer on my phone and share gedcom's with other people using different genealogy programs. I use the source templates as a guide to compose my Free Form sources.

#3 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8491 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 08:57 AM

I use a free-form source and enter this information.

This date was estimated by Renee M. Zamora using standard genealogical approximations. (You may use standard genealogical approximations. From a marriage date, you can estimate birth dates. You can estimate that a man was married at age twenty-five and a woman at age twenty-one. You can also estimate that a first child was born one year after the parents' marriage and that subsequent children were born every two years after that. [A Member's Guide to Temple and Family History Work, pg. 12]),

In the source detail I note what I based the calculation on.

based on Ray Bowen Harris and Isabel Luise Morris' marriage 23 Nov 1918

Renee
RootsMagic

#4 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3608 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 09:30 PM

Marriage records will sometimes say something like John Doe age 21 to Jane Smith age 20. This provides a better approximation than standard genealogical estimation from the marriage date alone and without ages. I suspect that "marriage date plus ages" was the thrust of the original question.

Jerry

#5 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6268 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 07:44 AM

Whether you use Free Form sources instead of source templates depends on if you will be exporting gedcoms for use in a third party program as other programs will probably not import the sources made with source templates correctly. I use Free Form since I export gedcoms to be imported to a gedcom viewer on my phone and share gedcom's with other people using different genealogy programs. I use the source templates as a guide to compose my Free Form sources.

More accurately, RootsMagic makes a mess of sources made with source templates when it exports to standard GEDCOM; other software does not recognise its custom GEDCOM syntax for source templates in GEDCOMs exported with RM specific features. Only Free Form and a very simple template I developed called !MyFreeForm3 survive the export to standard GEDCOM accurately. My custom template has a better Short Footnote than Free Form for sources requiring much content in the Source Detail.

As Laura, I use RM's source templates as a guide to compose my !MyFreeForm3 sources.

Edited by TomH, 13 June 2012 - 07:46 AM.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.