25 replies to this topic

#21 A Descendant

A Descendant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 05:01 AM

I like to have control where a General note will print, so I have a user defined fact, General note, which I use instead. I can sort that fact anywhere in the fact order I want depending on what the subject of the note is.

I have never entered Spouse Family notes so have not created a user defined fact for those notes, but if I did it would be a family fact.

That's a great idea Laura! In this particular case, the note I had in was about the children of the focus couple, and having nowhere else to put it I just put it in as a family note. Your idea makes it possible to place it elsewhere.

#22 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6174 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 09:01 AM

There's another variant on putting the CR/LF in the Note to start the next fact in a new paragraph that does not require Search "{zzz}" (or other unlikely ending pattern) and Replace "" in Word or other Save As formats. However, if third party software does not support HTML format tags in GEDCOM, then there is a regular expression Search/Replace task to do on the exported GEDCOM file. I discovered this pattern in a Google search of the message board on "CR/LF" in the RootsMagic 3 forum:

I've seen the question come up a couple of times about how to add a CR/LF in the Actual Text and Comments areas of sources. As most have experienced, RootsMagic removes extra CR/LF from the top and bottom of text that has been entered in the source details, but leaves them in notes. Here is a way to add a CR/LF to the source details that works without adding a stray period or other character:

Hold the Ctrl key and also press the letter b (makes the font bold)
Type a space (puts in a space)
Hit the Enter key (moves to the next line
Hold the Ctrl key and also press the letter b (makes the font normal)
Type your text

When you are just on the Source tab and you look under Details in the upper window you will see: <b> ||</b>The text that you typed. The two bars represent the CR and LF characters.

I like to put one of these at the beginning of the actual text and the comments and then I also put one at the end of the comments so the next source will be down an extra line leaving a blank line between the two sources. Yes, it makes the sources a bit longer, but it makes them tremendously easier to read!

You could put this pattern into the fact note, at the beginning or end, or into the note of the custom New Paragraph fact, to take advantage of the latter's visibility in the Edit Person and RootsMagic Explorer screens. In the Edit Person screen (but not RM Explorer), hovering over the Note checkmark pops up the value of the note without decoding the HTML:
<b> 

</b>
The space character is needed in order for the format (bold) codes to be saved to the record; null between them results in no tags saved. Surrounding the CR/LF with the format tags (you could use italics instead of bold) prevents them from being stripped on a drag and drop transfer and also through a GEDCOM export, provided in the latter case that the export option to preserve formatting in Notes is checked (by default it is).

This pattern has no effect on the unwanted 1 character indent of the following paragraph; that bug fix is still needed.

Whether one uses this pattern or the trailing {ZZZ} is moot. The latter has higher visibility but forces the inclusion of private notes and post report save and post export search and replace operations. The former is less visible but requires no post output search and replace, or only on GEDCOM depending on the importing software.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#23 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6174 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 10:01 AM

Whether one uses this pattern or the trailing {ZZZ} is moot. The latter has higher visibility but forces the inclusion of private notes and post report save and post export search and replace operations. The former is less visible but requires no post output search and replace, or only on GEDCOM depending on the importing software.

Oops, there's another factor: the outstanding bug of a trailing CR/LF causing the start of the next fact sentence to fall behind the adjacent picture in the Print Preview. The {zzz} or any text, including a space character but not a format code, after the last CR/LF prevents this from happening. Unfortunately, the above, invisible pattern has nothing but the </b> code after the last CR/LF and the text-behind-picture bug is not avoided. If the pattern is changed to <Ctrl-B><enter><enter><spacechar><Ctrl-B>, that bug is avoided but we now have a leading space in the new paragraph replacing the space generated by the other bug, the leading-space-in-new-paragraph-after-CR/LF-in-preceding-fact-Note.

Interestingly, the text-behind-picture bug in Print Preview does not carry through to RTF as seen in MS Word 2010 but does in the RM created PDF. I suppose one could generate the PDF from Word rather than from RM but that's what I would like to avoid by finding some slicker way than {zzz} to overcome RM's bugs. Bring on the fixes, Bruce!

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#24 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3485 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 11:31 AM

I like to have control where a General note will print, so I have a user defined fact, General note, which I use instead. I can sort that fact anywhere in the fact order I want depending on what the subject of the note is.

An additional advantage of your user defined fact called "General note" as compared to the actual "General note" is that the fact based "General note" can occur multiple times, not all of which have to be adjacent.

The only real reason to have multiple facts called "General note" that are adjacent would be if you needed to exceed the current maximum size of a note. I forget what the current maximum note size is, but it's pretty generous these days. I used to exceed the maximum regularly, and that was my original motivation for coming up with a user defined fact whose only purpose was to contain a note.

And for multiple occurrences of a user defined fact called "General note" that are not adjacent, the additional advantage as you have already stated is that each of them can be anywhere you want it.

Of course the disadvantage of this approach is near impossibility of using citations with notes. This problem is already there in RM, even if you use the existing General note facility instead of using a user defined fact called "General note".

Jerry

#25 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3485 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 11:58 AM

There's another variant on putting the CR/LF in the Note to start the next fact in a new paragraph that does not require Search "{zzz}" (or other unlikely ending pattern) and Replace "" in Word or other Save As formats. However, if third party software does not support HTML format tags in GEDCOM, then there is a regular expression Search/Replace task to do on the exported GEDCOM file. I discovered this pattern in a Google search of the message board on "CR/LF" in the RootsMagic 3 forum:

You could put this pattern into the fact note, at the beginning or end, or into the note of the custom New Paragraph fact, to take advantage of the latter's visibility in the Edit Person and RootsMagic Explorer screens. In the Edit Person screen (but not RM Explorer), hovering over the Note checkmark pops up the value of the note without decoding the HTML:

<b> 

</b>
The space character is needed in order for the format (bold) codes to be saved to the record; null between them results in no tags saved. Surrounding the CR/LF with the format tags (you could use italics instead of bold) prevents them from being stripped on a drag and drop transfer and also through a GEDCOM export, provided in the latter case that the export option to preserve formatting in Notes is checked (by default it is).

There is a little known but very useful data entry procedure that can be used in association with this kind of trick. Namely, you don't have to hold the Ctrl key down and type "b" or anything like that. You can just type the character < followed by the character b followed by the character > etc. and no weird "holding down of keys" is required. After all, what is really stored in the file is <b>, and then </b> is stored at the end of the string to be rendered in bold font. So you can just type the tags in without using any weird key combinations.

Having typed the tags in, a curious thing happens. Namely, tags remain visible as long as as you remain in the note editor. But if you exit the note editor and edit the note a second time, the tags disappear (they are still there!) and instead of being visible they do their assigned duty - bold or italics or underline or whatever.

The most useful tag to play around with in this regard is the <u> tag for underscore. That's because a bold blank or an italics blank looks exactly like a regular blank. But an underscored blank looks different than a regular blank.

Jerry

#26 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 05:36 PM

The only real reason to have multiple facts called "General note" that are adjacent would be if you needed to exceed the current maximum size of a note. I forget what the current maximum note size is, but it's pretty generous these days. I used to exceed the maximum regularly, and that was my original motivation for coming up with a user defined fact whose only purpose was to contain a note.
Of course the disadvantage of this approach is near impossibility of using citations with notes. This problem is already there in RM, even if you use the existing General note facility instead of using a user defined fact called "General note".

Jerry

I too had that user defined fact for continuing a too long note. I think it was Alfred or Wayne League that posted that tip way back in Family Origin's days.

I have the description field enabled for the fact. If I put a descriptive phrase of what the note is about in the description field, the source numbers are printed after the description and before the note.

I usually just put General note: or Note; in the description, but it could be something like, Email from Jane Doe:.

When I first started using this fact, I found that a lot of my General notes actually should be notes for other facts. My general notes are quite general and don't usually pertain to any one fact. I usually sort it after the Birth fact instead of after all the Individual facts. It just depends on what is in the note.