• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 kavik32

kavik32

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 05:57 PM

So, five minutes in to RM5, and I can't attach some .tiff files to a person. For whatever reason, it is not recognizing 14 of the 15 images I have stored in a particular folder. They were all scanned and saved the same day, and they are all about the same size. There is no technical difference between the images.

So, what's the deal and how to rectify this?

#2 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5464 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 10:14 PM

Convert to jpg might work out.
What do you mean by RM "not recognizing" them? What is your procedure? What do you see?

Tom user of RM7230 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> Rmtrix_tiny.png app, a growing bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#3 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3260 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 10:58 PM

So, five minutes in to RM5, and I can't attach some .tiff files to a person. For whatever reason, it is not recognizing 14 of the 15 images I have stored in a particular folder. They were all scanned and saved the same day, and they are all about the same size. There is no technical difference between the images.

So, what's the deal and how to rectify this?

RM doesn't currently support the Image Media type via .TIFF filename extension (i.e. 3-letter filename extensions only). Rename them to .TIF if you want them recognized while selecting via Image Media type. I ~believe~ RM would also let you select them, without renaming, if you instead load them via File Media type (instead of Image Media type), but not sure because I'm not near a copy of RM right now.

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#4 kavik32

kavik32

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 06:30 AM

Okay, it's this, and it does find them when searching as a "file" type. Thank you!

This is silly, and really oughta get updated in a next patch. Most new imaging programs save to the .tiff extension (current standard!) by default, and other family tree software recognizes them.

Thanks again!

RM doesn't currently support the Image Media type via .TIFF filename extension (i.e. 3-letter filename extensions only). Rename them to .TIF if you want them recognized while selecting via Image Media type. I ~believe~ RM would also let you select them, without renaming, if you instead load them via File Media type (instead of Image Media type), but not sure because I'm not near a copy of RM right now.

#5 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7093 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 04:58 PM

I wouldn't add the .tiff file as a file inside RootsMagic. If you do it will not be recognized as an image. (No thumbnail, etc.) Instead rename your .tiff file to a .tif file. Then add it as an image.
Renee
RootsMagic

#6 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3260 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 11:57 PM

I wouldn't add the .tiff file as a file inside RootsMagic. If you do it will not be recognized as an image. (No thumbnail, etc.) Instead rename your .tiff file to a .tif file. Then add it as an image.

Good advice from Renee... unless it is a multi-page .TIFF (or TIF.) ...RootsMagic doesn't know how to handle those properly, so loading them as File Media type is necessary in order for RM to call your Windows-associated external viewer that *is* multi-page aware.

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#7 Teashanty

Teashanty

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 January 2016 - 01:08 PM

Seems like this is still an issue in 2016. I'm running RM7, which I purchased in Dec 2015. I've really been trying to work with the program, thinking that once I get familiar with it I'll like it just fine. It gets such glowing reviews. Two months in and I'm just not quite sure why it's so popular.

RM7 will not recognize .tiff as an image file, but will recognize it as a "file." So, not an issue with three letter file extensions any more.

If I change the file extension from .tiff to .tif, it will recognize it as an image, but why should I have to do this? Really? On hundreds of scanned images?  Same for converting my images to jpeg files. I'm scanning for archival quality and lossless compression. The only reason to convert to jpg is if I'm putting an image on the web. It's not an efficient use of my time to have to convert file names or duplicate images in another format.

Why can't RM link an individual or fact to the image I've got? Is it going to physically copy that file into it's own media folder? I'm just not seeing why this is even an issue. (It wasn't with Family Tree Maker. I could choose whether to copy the image or just link to it in its current location.)

Also, trying to assign a profile image that I've already linked to an individual only works if the file is a jpg, and then only when the image is initially attached.

Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated.

#8 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5464 posts

Posted 23 January 2016 - 11:07 PM

You should post this in the RM7 Issues forum with reference to this thread in the RM5 issues forum. It was my impression that the RM image viewer did support .tiff in RM6, last time I checked. If it does not now, it should. I agree that you should not have to rename to .tif or convert to .jpg.

I don't understand why you ask the question "Why can't RM link..." when it can. RM links to the media item in place - it neither copies nor moves it.

Any supported image type can be a "profile" image. In RM parlance, that would be the Primary media item tagged to the Individual (General).

SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> Rmtrix_tiny.png app, a growing bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#9 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3260 posts

Posted 24 January 2016 - 01:48 AM

I don't believe RootsMagic has ever supported selecting files with .TIFF extension for import via the <Image> Media Type button ...only via <File> Media Type button.
The extensions are interchangeable with no effect upon the image file itself and there are numerous utilities for bulk renaming or batch copy/renaming.

---
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#10 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1141 posts

Posted 24 January 2016 - 08:06 AM

I have a bunch of files linked as images as *.TIF, but none as *.TIFF - so I agree with kbens0n

#11 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5464 posts

Posted 24 January 2016 - 02:16 PM

My faulty memory based on a three year old comment I wrote in the script on Media Type Reset, which said

-- Set Image files (only RM Add Media filters + .targ, .tiff because of viewer/reporter limitations)

I thought I had tested which types and extensions were supported but maybe I simply selected popular ones.