• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Leslieg

Leslieg

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 08:53 PM

I am trying to create a gedcom file and I know what I want it to look like but can't figure out how to create it using either the ancestor or descendant option and I really don't want to create it person by person. Here's what I'm looking for...hopefully someone can help!

If I go with the 'ancestor' idea, I would like to choose someone in my database and gather EVERYONE on that line including spouses of direct line, spouses of siblings and children and great-grandchildren of siblings (in other words, coming back forward in time). Another way to say it is to gather everyone on the pedigree + everyone on each family group sheet from that pedigree + other family group sheets coming forward that are linked to the siblings on each group sheet.

OR

If I go with the 'descendant' idea, I would like to go to each of 10 different end-of-line ancestors, and include everyone descended from each of them. I could not figure out how to select multiple people and choose their descendants yet create one gedcom file.

I tried the collateral line option and it just selects everyone in my database.

This makes sense to me but is difficult to explain and probably doesn't make sense...but I'm hoping someone might be able to shed some light and help!

#2 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 09:47 PM

Make a list of those ten ancestors.

Go to the File menu and choose Export.

Highlight the first ancestor on your list and click on Mark Group
-- Choose descendants of highlighted person then Descendants and spouses, be sure to run the generations high enough to get everyone.

Now, do the same for the rest of the ancestors on your list before clicking the OK at the bottom right of the selection window.
Alfred

#3 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 10:03 PM

You can create a Group, marking and unmarking people by various criteria until you have everyone marked that you want to export in a gedcom.

Then use the Group as the people to export choice in the Export gedcom screen.