• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Uhura

Uhura

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 04:37 PM

What are your favorite parts? Anything bad?

#2 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 06:32 PM

No one can really tell you whether you will like one feature or dislike another as that is dependent on each user's personal view.

I suggest you try out RootMagic Esentials and keep in mind that not all the features of the paid version are enabled.

#3 Kim W

Kim W

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 10:15 AM

Before I purchased RM, I downloaded the free trials from RM, FTM (at that time they had one), Legacy, and TMG (The Master Genealogist). Then I compared features I wanted to use like sources, which had the easiest templates to use and how they compared relationship with adoptions etc. RM was the closest to what I was looking for. None of them handled the relationships the way I wanted, but I like the look of the program, & the ease of learning it. I had been a long time user of FTM, but wanted something new that wouldn't come out with a new cost for upgrade every year. If your looking for printing out trees with fancy backgrounds RM doesn't have these within the program. There are a lot of powerful reports, once you get used to using them, but to be honest I don't know about the other programs reports. With TMG I would have spent too much time learning the program then on genealogy. I remember doing something that I automatically did with RM but couldn't do it without looking at support for TMG. Hope this helps!

#4 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3434 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 08:55 AM

Before I purchased RM, I downloaded the free trials from RM, FTM (at that time they had one), Legacy, and TMG (The Master Genealogist). Then I compared features I wanted to use like sources, which had the easiest templates to use and how they compared relationship with adoptions etc.

I think this is the best advice and most users have probably sone this. It may be a little time consuming but not so time consuming as jumping to another product at some time in the future.

My advice, choose carefully, although RM remains my favourite.

Customers should never be frustrated by things they cannot do.

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.6.2, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#5 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3608 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 10:04 AM

What are your favorite parts? Anything bad?

This question could be taken in at least two different ways. One way is that someone could be looking for advice on choosing a genealogy program and could therefore be looking for strengths and weaknesses of the various products on the market. That's the way the question has been answered on this forum thus far. Another way the question could be answered is more in a "wish list" sense - which parts of RM5 do you really like just the way they are, and which parts do you wish might be improved?

Here are some of my least favorite parts of RM5, listed in order with #1 being the worst.
  • RM5 fails to support proper preservation and integrity of data on GEDCOM export. Some of this is due to inadequate GEDCOM standards and therefore all genealogy programs suffer from the same problem. But it is also the case that RM5 fails to do an adequate job of data preservation and integrity even when GEDCOM is exported from and to RM5 itself. I will never drag and drop my entire database to a new database until this situation is improved.
  • I'm a little unhappy with RM5's reporting capabilities. I'm placing this one as #2 on my list, even though I'm only "a little unhappy" with RM5's reporting capabilities and there are things further down my list where I am "quite unhappy". That's because creating reports is the single most important thing I do with RM5 and I want to be extremely happy with reporting rather than a little unhappy.
  • I'm quite unhappy with RM5's management of media, and to the maximum extent possible I work with media within RM5 without actually interacting with the Media Gallery.
  • I think RM5 is very weak in its capabilities to merge and split databases. It doesn't have any real capabilities to split a database at all. You can export a piece of a database, but that's not the same thing as splitting a database. It does have extensive capabilities to merge records, but I avoid using them most of the time because I think they are so clunky.
  • I think that RM5 is extremely keyboard unfriendly, forcing me to do too many things only with the mouse rather than offering me the choice of the mouse or the keyboard. Versions of RM prior to RM4 were much better in this regard.
  • I'm quite unhappy with the Source Templates, and after much initial excitement about how wonderful they promised to be, I don't use them at all.
  • I'm quite unhappy with Shared Facts, and I don't use them at all.
  • I'm quite unhappy with County Check, and I don't use it at all.
Here are my most favorite parts of RM5, again in order.
  • This is "overall" rather than a particular part, but I very much like the overall look and feel, functionality, and ease of use of the program. It is quite elegantly designed, and it manages to meet the needs of a wide variety of users quite well. Included in this particular "like" is the screen layout with the several kinds of sidebar, and with the several kinds of views in the main window.
  • I like the elegance of the design wherein individuals, families, and facts can each have sources, notes, and media associated with them. I wouldn't touch a genealogy program without this capability, and some genealogy programs don't in fact have this capability.
  • I like that reports can be made into RTF format for additional processing with Word.
  • I like the pricing and the business model where we as users get to interact to actively with the developers.
  • I like many of the little goodies such as color coding, named groups, RM Explorer, Place Details, etc. that make my data easier to manage even though the goodies might not be directly related to genealogy itself. I still want improvements in some of these areas, but I very much like what is already there.
  • I like that the database is SQLite and that therefore I can make my own reports with SQL, and in a few cases I can even make my own global updates to my database where the same global update cannot be performed within RM5 itself.
Jerry

#6 Kim W

Kim W

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 06:49 AM

I think whatever you do you will find everyone has their own opinions. Unlike Jerry, I like the Source Templates and always use them, I always use shared facts and the county check has caught several errors for me.

#7 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3434 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 07:13 AM

County check can be turned OFF, users do not have to use Source Templates, Shared Facts or Place Details etc but it is very important and beneficial to me that these features exist.

I believe Shared Facts will be enhanced in the future, I believe Place management will be further enhanced in the future, personally I don't want to be joining the party late so use them now.

Customers should never be frustrated by things they cannot do.

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.6.2, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#8 Nettie

Nettie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1655 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 08:26 AM

Been using Family Origins now RootsMagic since v2. of FO. Have always recommended this software.
For years,
this software has always let us have more than one source per event/fact. :) other software packages did not have this ability.
Always had the ablility to have notes. Number of people that you have in your family was never an issue with FO/RM. :) other software limited you back in the early days.
The ability of the programers to listen to us the end users has been a big big plus. :)
The software has grown into what we have today as a very very good way to keep our genealogy records.
Addition of the Research Notes and more parts to the Citation Manager has been a big plus. :)

Have recommended it since day one of my using it.
Taught classes and really enjoy the feedback on this forum and having a place to share. :)

Thank you Bruce Buzzee for keeping us going and making this in my opinion the best software available. :):):)

Genealogy:
"I work on genealogy only on days that end in "Y"." [Grin!!!]
from www.GenealogyDaily.com.
"Documentation....The hardest part of genealogy"
"Genealogy is like Hide & Seek: They Hide & I Seek!"
" Genealogists: People helping people.....that's what it's all about!"
from http://www.rootsweb....nry/gentags.htm
Using FO and RM since FO2.0