Posted 29 May 2012 - 06:57 PM

What I have:
- One RM5 license.
- One RM4 license.
- One SkyDrive account.
- One Desktop.
- Two Laptops.

What I want:
- To be able to source my database from the cloud (i.e., SkyDrive).

To be up front, my wife is the genealogist; I just (try to) adminster her workings. I realize that RootsMagic has Program Options that allow you to configure where your database is both stored and backed up. So, using RM5 on any one of these computers and backing it up to SkyDrive is simple.

The tricky part is the EULA. I could've sworn that an older version of RM allowed multiple-machine installs (RM2 was the first version we bought and I half-remember there being a FAQ at the time that said something to the effect of "Hey, we're reasonable people. You can install and use RM on 3 computers."), but I could also believe that I'm confusing that with a different application. Regardless, it seems that RM5 is a single-machine license.

So, I'm looking for options. As I see it, I could buy licenses for the additional computers (I assume that upgrade ($20) licenses would suffice.), but I don't want to shell out $60 every time a major version comes along. Without testing, I am wondering whether using the free RM Essentials would be a viable option. Would data saved in the full/paid version be lost if loaded into free version and saved back out? Would the data associated with "premium features" be visible from RM Essentials (I don't even know if there is such a thing as "premium-only data" -- again, I'm just an admistrator)? What about using RM4 (full) on one machine and RM5 (full) on another? RM-To-Go on one machine and RM5 on the other?

Anyway, I'm looking for cheap, reasonable, and EULA-compliant options for synchronizing my data across the cloud while having the most feature-rich options available.

Thanks.

#2 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 07:51 PM

You can install RM5 on each computer and enter your one registration number in RM on each computer.

Only one installation of RM with the same license and registration number can be used at one time. Example, you can not be on one computer working in RM and your wife on another computer working in RM.

#3 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6284 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 09:31 PM

Laura's answer provides uniform capability across all three machines. The license restriction is not the only reason to run one at a time. The database file is updated with even minor changes as they are saved and when it is closed. That can keep synchronization very busy and possibly confuse one or another copy.
RM 4 & 5 cannot work on a common database file. 4 cannot open 5's and 5 revises the structure of 4's.
RM To Go is a way of moving a database between a base computer and another along with a portable version of RM, both on a flash drive.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#4 mr_btw

mr_btw

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 08:21 AM

Thank you Laura and TomH!

Yes, I would not plan/expect for multiple sessions of RM to be open concurrently, both for the technical reasons TomH mentioned and because it's not practical for my wife to be on two machines at once (again, she is the only one using RM).

The solution posed addresses my issue from a technical standpoint. I'm going to assume, then, that it's also correct from a legal view as well.

Thanks again for your help!
-mr_btw

#5 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 01:36 PM

I was giving the legal view. That is the terms of use Bruce gives us in the license agreement although I did not quote verbatim.

#6 mr_btw

mr_btw

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 06:46 PM

Thanks again, Laura. I've got RM5 installed on both my desktop and laptop now, and it looks like we're all set.

Thanks again,
-mr_btw

#7 Glenn

Glenn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 562 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 11:41 AM

RM 4 & 5 cannot work on a common database file. 4 cannot open 5's and 5 revises the structure of 4's.

To preserve my major V4 DB (gpw V4), I made a copy (COPY FOR V5). In looking for the files, I just discovered that they are both accessible with V 4.1.1.3 -- but that I haven't completed my experiment yet of getting the copy over to V5! :o :huh:
More later when I get a round "TUIT"

Glenn

Good real estate may be based on location, location, location;
but
good sources are based on citation, citation, citation!

Glenn