4 replies to this topic

#1 don

don

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 09:35 AM

I have somehow managed to get an identical duplicate spouse showing in the family view for one couple, the duplication showing for both individuals; ie two identical Bernard Kirkbrides married to two identical Elizabeth Milners. In each case I can select one spouse and it shows all seven children of the couple; if I select the other, that shows just one of their children. Family view won't show the marriage date because of the 'duplication', although RM4 knows this fact. So I need to undo this duplication of spouses, but of course the RM4 index of names correctly shows the individual in each case just once. Any ideas on how to proceed please? I'm stuck!

Don

#2 don

don

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 09:46 AM

I have somehow managed to get an identical duplicate spouse showing in the family view for one couple, the duplication showing for both individuals; ie two identical Bernard Kirkbrides married to two identical Elizabeth Milners. In each case I can select one spouse and it shows all seven children of the couple; if I select the other, that shows just one of their children. Family view won't show the marriage date because of the 'duplication', although RM4 knows this fact. So I need to undo this duplication of spouses, but of course the RM4 index of names correctly shows the individual in each case just once. Any ideas on how to proceed please? I'm stuck!

Don

I realise I reported this issue for this same couple way back in Sept 2011, but I see the problem has returned. Hence my new query.

Don

#3 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8334 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 11:53 AM

In the Family View have the couple with only one child showing. Right click on one of the parents. Select Delete>Family. Make sure the option "Unlink Family Members" is selected, then click on the delete button at the bottom of the screen. This will delete the family unit but leave all the individuals in your database.
Renee
RootsMagic

#4 don

don

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 12:03 PM

In the Family View have the couple with only one child showing. Right click on one of the parents. Select Delete>Family. Make sure the option "Unlink Family Members" is selected, then click on the delete button at the bottom of the screen. This will delete the family unit but leave all the individuals in your database.

Many thanks, Renee. That appears to have neatly removed the duplicate family unit, and crucially, RM knew not to remove any links in the remaining family, including the repeated child that showed in the second instance of the family.

I must find somewhere to record these pearls of wisdom for future reference. The thought occurs to me that if RM does demonstrate such difficult-to-program-out oddities, could the solutions not be posted somewhere within the forum boundaries (or elsewhere) for everyone to reference as they discover they have the problem?

Don

#5 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8334 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 01:20 PM

We have a webinar scheduled to demonstrate how to remove these links. There is also a Knowledge Base article on it.

Fixing Incorrect Family Links in RootsMagic
Thursday, May 31, 2012 5:00 PM (MT)
http://www.rootsmagic.com/webinars/
Renee
RootsMagic