• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 NHurley

NHurley

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 01:46 PM

I am using RM5 to make a gedcom to upload to my World Connect Family Tree. I unchecked the box on the Export Gedcom screen "Extra details (RM Specific)", then uploaded the gedcom to World Connect. There are many extra values/fields for every person's record that don't make any sense. Also, the shared facts make duplicate sources and entries on each person. I am not finding this issue in the forums, so here I am. I did find an 2011 post about changing the version of the Gedcom in the file from 5.5.1 to 5.5. Is that a way to make the Gedcom compatible?
Thanks,
Nancy

#2 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2697 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 07:04 PM

I am using RM5 to make a gedcom to upload to my World Connect Family Tree. I unchecked the box on the Export Gedcom screen "Extra details (RM Specific)", then uploaded the gedcom to World Connect. There are many extra values/fields for every person's record that don't make any sense. Also, the shared facts make duplicate sources and entries on each person. I am not finding this issue in the forums, so here I am.

Many (most?) RM users love shared facts, but for my own research I have concluded that there are compelling reasons not to use them. World Connect is one of those reasons.

On the extra fields in World Connect, the World Connect web site supports a fairly rich set of options on which data to display and not display. You would need to play with these options. For example, I tell World Connect to suppress the UID data that is in RM GEDCOM even when the "Extra details" option is unchecked when exporting the GEDCOM from RM. Also, the World Connect web site has a privatization facility that seems to me to be a good bit more functional than the privatization feature in RM itself. So in principle, you can export GEDCOM from RM without privatization and upload it to World Connect, and do all the privatization there. And you can always download your own GEDCOM from World Connect without privatization even if you have privatized it for everybody else, and as such GEDCOM you upload to World Connect can serve as one of many backups you ought to keep of your data.

Jerry