• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Mick Altmyer

Mick Altmyer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 02:49 PM

I would like to organize my files - places where I keep the artifacts found or scanned - by the Marriage ID Number. I am using RM 5 and know the program assigns a Marriage ID Number automatically. I would like to show this number next to the person name on the pedigree and family group sheet and next to the name on the index - shown on right within the program. I know that I can get a printed list of the marriage ID number but if it could be more visible it would be a great help in filing and saving artifacts. Is this possible? Currently, I print a marriage ID report and then make this number the reference number and add it as a fact. Is there an easier way. Thanks so much for your help.

#2 Romer

Romer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2053 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 04:18 PM

There was some discussion of this topic a while back:

http://forums.rootsm...dpost__p__46119

#3 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 06:04 PM

On the Family Group Sheet report screen, you can check the Print MRIN in title box. This prints the number after the Header title for the Family Group Sheet.

Since you are entering the MRIN numbers in the Reference fact, you may already know that you can go to Tools, File options, Number to display after name, Reference number. This will show the reference number instead of the record number on the screen and reports.

#4 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5464 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 02:31 PM

I had a PM asking for help in populating a custom fact to contain the MRIN or internal FamilyID number, along the lines of Renee's custom Family Ref# described below. The user, migrating from other software, files documents by MRIN and finds its lack of exposure in RM a deterrent. In response, I developed a couple of SQLite scripts, described at Facts - Add custom MRIN event to each family. This may help out until such time as there is a RootsMagic solution.

RootsMagic will store links to your media and documents stored on your computer. That means you can store the media any method you choose on your computer. All filing systems should work just fine.

The only one I don't recommend with RootsMagic is filing by Marriage Record Number (MRIN). RootsMagic does not support this method very well. There are limited places were you can see the MRINs in RM. If you were to use that filing system I would recommend that you add MRINs to the reference number fact so they are viewable.

Before anyone asks, yes making MRINS more accessible in RM is in our tracking system. The RootsMagician preference has not changed on the matter.

Having MRINs more accessible in RootsMagic is an enhancement request in our tracking system. The reason this has not been implemented is due to the RootsMagician preference that users do not become dependent on computer generated numbers that could change if you export your database into a GEDCOM. His preference is that you use the Reference Number fact to create a unique number for each individual in your database.

To display the reference number go to Tools>File Options>Number to display after name - select in the drop down box "Reference Number"(REFN).

Since I use the REFN fact to keep track of something different I created a new family fact called "Family Ref#" and went off the MRIN list to add the fact and number to every couple. Downside you can't view that number unless you are in the person's edit screen. Plus is I don't have to generate the MRIN list to see it.

If you use the REFN fact you need to add the same number to both individuals in a couple.
If you use your own "Family Ref#" and create it as a family fact you only have to add it to one individual in the couple.

Tom user of RM7230 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> Rmtrix_tiny.png app, a growing bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#5 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7093 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 11:36 AM

Thanks for helping them with that.
Renee
RootsMagic