#1 DonnaT

DonnaT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 01:08 PM

Hello Everyone!
I have what is probably a pretty dumb question....but, I think its a valid one.

I'd like to know how everyone else handles the inputting of a date in the Will and Probate facts.

For example:
If "John" writes his will on 20FEB1880, a good 20 years before, his death, do you transcribe the will and put it under that date?
If "John's" will is taken to the court the day after he died ... lets say he died on 20JUN1900 he died, and his wife "Sally" didn't take his will to the courthouse until two months (or even years later).....would you use this date for the Will date????
If "John's" will is finally probated with the assessors information another three months later....I assume this is what everyone would use for the probate date.....

So, basically I'm trying to make sure I'm not using these "facts" labels incorrectly.

Any advice?

#2 Nettie

Nettie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1508 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 04:27 PM

Hello Everyone!
I have what is probably a pretty dumb question....but, I think its a valid one.

I'd like to know how everyone else handles the inputting of a date in the Will and Probate facts.

For example:
If "John" writes his will on 20FEB1880, a good 20 years before, his death, do you transcribe the will and put it under that date?
If "John's" will is taken to the court the day after he died ... lets say he died on 20JUN1900 he died, and his wife "Sally" didn't take his will to the courthouse until two months (or even years later).....would you use this date for the Will date????
If "John's" will is finally probated with the assessors information another three months later....I assume this is what everyone would use for the probate date.....

So, basically I'm trying to make sure I'm not using these "facts" labels incorrectly.

Any advice?

A will date for me is the one that is in the court records on that date. I abstract/transcribe the will at that point in time. [depending on whether I have a copy that is abstracted by someone else or a court copy of the will].
If there is a codicil which there might be if a long time or land has been sold between original will and probate, then I use a will fact for the codicil, also.

The probate date is the court date of inventory/assessors/final probate date. You may have three dates but use the probate fact, you can change the sentence. [My sentence template: [person] had [person:hisher] estate probated <[Desc]>< [Date]>< [PlaceDetails]>< [Place]>.] underlined word can be changed to inventory or assessors.

Reason for using the one fact is the gedcom transfer if you are doing that. I tried adding a fact like probate Inv and then Probate asses... and they did not transfer if they did were errors. So went back to one fact, Probate, usage for each part of the probate process. Hope this makes sense.

Others may do this differently. Each to his own choice.... :)

Genealogy:
"I work on genealogy only on days that end in "Y"." [Grin!!!]
from www.GenealogyDaily.com.
"Documentation....The hardest part of genealogy"
"Genealogy is like Hide & Seek: They Hide & I Seek!"
" Genealogists: People helping people.....that's what it's all about!"
from http://www.rootsweb....nry/gentags.htm
Using FO and RM since FO2.0