• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 17mars

17mars

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 05:12 PM

Hello, I'm brand new to Rootsmagic. I made the mistake of importing an ancestry.com GEDCOM into my file and now have a LOT of people in my file that I didn't want. I see no way to undo the import. Am I right in thinking I'm going to have to delete this file and start fresh in order to get rid of these hundreds of unproven relatives I didn't want?
Thanks for any advice.

#2 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 06:54 PM

The quickest way if you have no backup or other copy of the database before you imported the Ancestry gedcom or have done a lot of entry after it was reported is to create a new database. Export and import a full gedcom or drag and drop into the new database the people you want to keep and exclude the people you don't want to keep.

If using a copy or new database created by direct import or gedcom, back the new database up before doing anything else.

Color coding the people you don't want to keep and the people you want to exclude different colors. Use the color coding for the people you want to keep as a search criteria to mark when selecting a list to export a gedcom or people to drag and drop.

For example, People to keep, Purple. People to exclude, Red.

If you haven't linked anyone from the Ancestry.com gedcom to people already in your database, you can select who to color code by highlighting a person in the Ancestry gedcom, choose Red, and choose Everyone in the person's tree on the Select people to color code screen.

There are various ways to select the people to color code. If you added a source on the gedcom import screen you can use that or a date last edited range, for instance.

Once you have the people you want to exclude color coded, do the color coding again and choose Purple for the people you want to keep. For the color code search criteria choose Mark Group, Select from list, Color coding is not Red.

Be careful if you have merged people already. You may need to change the color coding of those people to Purple so they remain in your database.

Export or drag and drop the people that are Purple into a new database.

Even if you have restored a previous backup or are using a previous copy of the database for the new database, color coding the messed up database can be very helpful. Color code Red, by date last edited date range, Date last edited for the day you made the backup or the last date the copy was edited to today's date. Then color code the people from the Ancestry file another color. You will want to check the persons color coded Red with your new database, to see if changes have been made for that person that you want to keep.

#3 Angela Faulconer

Angela Faulconer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 01:39 AM

I have a problem similar to Mars17. Many months ago, when I was just starting with Rootsmagic, I imported a gedcom that had a lot of information I now consider suspicious and want to get rid of. I now want to delete everything connected to my father's side of the tree and also all of my husband's part of the tree.

If I understand Laura right, she is saying that the best thing to do is not delete the bad, but to move (export) the good records to a new database. I would like to do this. But there seems to be no way to select people for the export from the pedigree view. Laura's advice seems to be to color code people on the pedigree view and then export all of one color to the new database. The problem is, I tried to follow the instructions she gave by color coding my mother and all of her ancestors purple, and my father and all of his ancestors red. It seemed to work. Unfortunately, when I went to export the records, I could see on the select people screen that some of the people were red, some were purple, and a whole lot of people were still black (not color coded). Choosing ancestors and spouses apparently doesn't net all the people I need it to net.

Laura said:
You can select who to color code by highlighting a person in the Ancestry gedcom, choose Red, and choose Everyone in the person's tree on the Select people to color code screen.

The "everyone in the person's tree" option that Laura mentions doesn't show up as an option when I try to color code. What am I missing? What should I do?

Thanks,

Angela

#4 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3444 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 09:38 AM

The advice given by Laura is sound, you really need to just try to identify something unique in the download or file set you now want to exclude. The golden advice for the future is a backup "myfilebefore...." so you have something to revert to.

Once you find the unique identifier then Mark the complete database for Gedcom output then Unmark those with the unique identifier, the result should be as you were before.

Identifiers I would look for are :-

1. Is there a source that came with the new data that I can search on?
2. Is there a custom fact every record has that wasn't in my database before?
3. Is the "Date last Edited" a reliable indicator of the records I want?

On the "Date last edited" you can include this on People View and sort on that columb. If all the Ancestry items have 01 May but you also editied some records you wand to keep on 01 May, then just open and close these indi's and you can then find on Date Last edit is 01 may 2012 in my example.

Customers should never be frustrated by things they cannot do.

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.6.2, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#5 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 11:47 AM

It is too late now, but when importing any GEDCOM fie into RootsMagic you can assign a source to everyone in the import.

If you had assigned a GEDCOM specific source to each individual you could select or unselect by that source for each GEDCOM file you import.

Mark Group
Select people by data fields
Source (general) -- Name contains -- GEDCOM file imported on 7 May 2012

(Or Bibliography contains or whatever is unique about it)

BUT, the best thing is to make a backup BEFORE doing anything drastic to your main database.
Alfred

#6 Nettie

Nettie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1661 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 03:57 PM

It is too late now, but when importing any GEDCOM fie into RootsMagic you can assign a source to everyone in the import.

If you had assigned a GEDCOM specific source to each individual you could select or unselect by that source for each GEDCOM file you import.

Mark Group
Select people by data fields
Source (general) -- Name contains -- GEDCOM file imported on 7 May 2012

(Or Bibliography contains or whatever is unique about it)

BUT, the best thing is to make a backup BEFORE doing anything drastic to your main database.

I always mark the group like Alfred says and then create a new database with this gedcom.

Suggest ... A rule to remember: never put a gedcom into your main database. :) [my rule: especially from ancestry.com or rootsweb.com World Tree]

With the new gedcom in own database you can then compare the two databases side by side [see F1 help menu] to see what is different. Reminder: Most of those gedcoms have no sources as to where they got there information.
Need to add a person to main database, then use the drag and drop method from one database to another. :)

Genealogy:
"I work on genealogy only on days that end in "Y"." [Grin!!!]
from www.GenealogyDaily.com.
"Documentation....The hardest part of genealogy"
"Genealogy is like Hide & Seek: They Hide & I Seek!"
" Genealogists: People helping people.....that's what it's all about!"
from http://www.rootsweb....nry/gentags.htm
Using FO and RM since FO2.0 

#7 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3444 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 09:15 PM

Just to add again to this general help thread :-

* Reconcile any new import in a separate database before merging with your main database.
* Set some custom field or source that will allow you to identify the new redords to back out if necessary.
* Always make a backup before any such import or merge>

Hope it works out for ye and you avoid such problems in the future.

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.6.2, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5

Root

#8 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 08:52 PM

I have a problem similar to Mars17. Many months ago, when I was just starting with Rootsmagic, I imported a gedcom that had a lot of information I now consider suspicious and want to get rid of. I now want to delete everything connected to my father's side of the tree and also all of my husband's part of the tree.

If I understand Laura right, she is saying that the best thing to do is not delete the bad, but to move (export) the good records to a new database. I would like to do this. But there seems to be no way to select people for the export from the pedigree view. Laura's advice seems to be to color code people on the pedigree view and then export all of one color to the new database. The problem is, I tried to follow the instructions she gave by color coding my mother and all of her ancestors purple, and my father and all of his ancestors red. It seemed to work. Unfortunately, when I went to export the records, I could see on the select people screen that some of the people were red, some were purple, and a whole lot of people were still black (not color coded). Choosing ancestors and spouses apparently doesn't net all the people I need it to net.

Laura said:
You can select who to color code by highlighting a person in the Ancestry gedcom, choose Red, and choose Everyone in the person's tree on the Select people to color code screen.

The "everyone in the person's tree" option that Laura mentions doesn't show up as an option when I try to color code. What am I missing? What should I do?

Thanks,

Angela

Well, I didn't say what view to use when picking the person to highlight on the main screen. Personally, I seldom use the Pedigree screen except to quickly check on ancestors or quickly change the focus [highlighted person] to an ancestor. Then I promptly go back to whatever screen I was in, usually the Family main screen.

On any main screen except Websearch, press CTRL + c and the screen to Color code will popup. Or go to Tools, Color code people.

When you choose to color code Ancestors of the current person, that is all you get color coded, that person and that person's direct ancestors.

The choices under For these people on the Color code screen all relate to the person highlighted on the main screen except you can choose Select people from a list and mark other people using different criteria.

"Everyone in the person's tree" is at Select people from a list, Mark People. You have to choose which person is highlighted on the people list on the Select people to color code screen. The person highlighted on the main screen will not be automatically marked on the Select people from a list screen.

I suggest that you check out Help, Index and search for color code. Double click on Color Coding people to read that article. Then search for Select people and double click on the Select people article.

It can be useful to create a new database and drag and drop a few people into it and practice using the color coding to see what results you get using various choices of who to color code. Sometimes it is easier to see the results for just a few people rather than maybe hundreds in the main database.

#9 Glenn

Glenn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 562 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 04:48 PM

I always mark the group like Alfred says and then create a new database with this gedcom.
Suggest ... A rule to remember: never put a gedcom into your main database. :) [my rule: especially from ancestry.com or rootsweb.com World Tree]

Interesting idea, Nettie.
What potential problems does this prevent?
I know it's very simple to move a word document from its current folder to a different one :) ; but I can't quite see how to do that with my current GEDCOM files from their original location(s) and what might happen to the GEDCOM "field" we only see when first setting up :unsure: .

Glenn

Good real estate may be based on location, location, location;
but
good sources are based on citation, citation, citation!

Glenn

#10 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 05:28 PM

Hi Glenn,

Nettie is saying to never import a gedcom into your main database. That is excellent advice.

Create a new database and import a gedcom into that new database.

Whatever data that gedcom may contain that you want to be in your main database can be added to your main database either be reentering the data manually or dragging and dropping persons or families and then merging if needed.

To Nettie's advice, I correct any place names, sources, repositories, etc. to my standards used in the main database before adding any of that data to my main database. This avoids a lot of clean up in my main database where the differences can be harder to find.

#11 Nettie

Nettie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1661 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 09:12 AM

Hi Glenn,

Nettie is saying to never import a gedcom into your main database. That is excellent advice.

Create a new database and import a gedcom into that new database.

Whatever data that gedcom may contain that you want to be in your main database can be added to your main database either be reentering the data manually or dragging and dropping persons or families and then merging if needed.

To Nettie's advice, I correct any place names, sources, repositories, etc. to my standards used in the main database before adding any of that data to my main database. This avoids a lot of clean up in my main database where the differences can be harder to find.

Thanks Laura, for spelling this out more. Many times when I have downloaded a gedcom and looked at it in another database in RM, have found I had more information with sources than the gedcom did. Lately have not added any part of a gedcom as one of my goals in my main database is to use valid sources to document facts/events found. If there are sources, then I acknowledge the owner's research from the gedcom Gedcoms are only suggestions since they usually are not sourced. :(

Questions to ask yourself about combining a gedcom with your main database. I use the W W W W W format [Who, what, when, where, why, ?'s]and the following:
  • why put it into your main database
  • What are you trying to accomplish
  • Do you want information with no resources
  • What cleanup will I have to do
  • Do I want all those non named people in the main database [living or unknown]
Keeping the downloaded in an other database means you can go back and re look at the information anytime you want and use it to make to do lists. :)

Genealogy:
"I work on genealogy only on days that end in "Y"." [Grin!!!]
from www.GenealogyDaily.com.
"Documentation....The hardest part of genealogy"
"Genealogy is like Hide & Seek: They Hide & I Seek!"
" Genealogists: People helping people.....that's what it's all about!"
from http://www.rootsweb....nry/gentags.htm
Using FO and RM since FO2.0 

#12 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3444 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 09:25 AM

Keeping the downloaded in an other database means you can go back and re look at the information anytime you want and use it to make to do lists. :)

Good points from Nettie, I used to have several databases for different surnames but so often paths cross and that was not ideal.

Now I have only two which I can easily keep open side by side, one for our own proven family and the other called Reference which everything else like downloads other peoples gedcoms etc get dumped into. If I find a new branch I can clean it up in the reference database before dragging it across into my main data.

Root