• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 munchie

munchie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 11:41 AM

There seems to be an issue with the sidebar index as it relates to alternate names. If I 'add a fact' to an individual using 'alternate name' this name appears in the index. If I customize the 'add individual form' to include the fact 'alternate name' this name does NOT appear in the index. Am I missing something -or- doing something wrong? Thanks ...

#2 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 02:48 PM

HMMMM?
If I add the Alt Name fact to the Add Person window, it looks like the date is the only field added, so of course that wouldn't show up in the name index.

Then, you cannot edit THAT Alt name except to change the date.
But you can add a regular Alt Name fact and enter data in all the fields.

SO, for now, you cannot add the ALT Name fact to the add Person window with any hope of it working.

=== edited ==========
I do not get a description field, that field is not enabled to begin with, although the fact can be edited to allow it's use.
Alfred

#3 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3506 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 02:58 PM

Hmmm!

I added a new person and customized the Add new person screen to include the Alternate name fact.

On the Add new person screen is has these boxes:
Date, Place
Alternate name

Type the name in the Alternate name box.

On the Edit person screen, highlight the Alternate name fact. The right pane has entry boxes for a regular fact not the usual Alternate name fact screen. The name that was typed in on the Add new person screen is entered in the Description box.

The fact sentence is the Alternate fact default sentence and is printed in the Narrative report. The fact is printed in an Individual Summary report and a Family Group Sheet.

I selected the Alternate name fact on the Fact list report and then searched for the person's surname. The Alternate name fact from the Add new person screen was not printed although the count of person's found was correct.

The Alternate name fact should either be blocked from being added to the Add new person screen or the entry field on that screen should be the fields that the Alternate name fact has when added on the Edit person screen and be added to the Edit person screen with those fields.

All we can do is not add the Alternate name fact on the Add new person screen. Just add it on the Edit person screen.

----------------
Alfred, you beat me this time. :D The Hmmm! was not copycatting you as I forgot to check for any new postings before I posted. :)
Laura

The following was overheard at a recent high society party...
"My ancestry goes all the way back to Alexander the Great," said one lady. She then turned to a second woman and asked, "How far does your family go back?"
"I don't know," was the reply. "All of our records were lost in the flood."
-on various web sites-

#4 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 4482 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 03:58 PM

You are correct that the Alternate Name field in the Add Person screen is incorrect. We have this in our tracking system to fix, but the RootsMagician has to do a lot of rewriting code to get it to work. I will put in the suggestion that we remove the option from the list so we don't have confusion until the rewrite is done.
Renee
RootsMagic

#5 ddplooy

ddplooy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 01:29 AM

How can I show either the birthdate or if no birthdate, then the bapt/chr date in die sidebar index?

Regards
Herman du Plooy

#6 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3974 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 06:26 AM

You can choose to show the Birth Year in the sidebar index via its Options button. I don't recall if it is populated by the christen year in the absence of the birth fact. To ensure it is in sync with the date of the birth fact, run database tools Rebuild Indexes.
Tom
user of RM7000 FTM2014 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celtiwiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix_tiny.png app, a growing bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#7 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 4482 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 11:18 AM

I am confirming that the sidebar does not display the christen date if the birth date is not available. I will add that as an enhancement request. Please note it would not be added to RM5, only the current version at the time.
Renee
RootsMagic