No replies to this topic

#1 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 07:03 PM

Use color coding to know who needs to be merged when merging two duplicate lines.

1. Highlight the beginning of the line ancestor that will be the Primary line on a main screen. I would pick the line where the most people had the smallest record numbers to be the Primary.

2. Color code that ancestor and their descendants and spouses one color, say Yellow.
3. Color code all the descendants of the same beginning of the line person as descendants without spouses in another color, Purple

All blood descendants are now Purple and non-blood Spouses are Yellow for the Primary line.

Repeat steps 1-3, except in step 3, color code all the descendants without spouses as Red

Now all blood descendants of the Primary line are Purple. All blood descendants of the Duplicate line are Red and all non-blood spouses of both lines are Yellow.

Create Group:

Mark people:
Color coding is Purple
Or color coding is Red
Or color coding is Yellow

Select the Group in People view and have the Sidebar selected to Family. Customize the People view with whatever Individual facts will help you determine if you have the right two people to merge.

Note: Merging retains the color coding of the Primary person.

Manual merge:

Go down the People list, highlighting the Primary [Purple] person and right click and choose Manual Merge. Choose the Red [Duplicate] person from RM Explorer. When the Merge Duplicate Record screen opens, the people will be in the right position for merge.

For Yellow people, check the Sidebar to see if both duplicates have parents and siblings that will be duplicates and need to be merged later. Change the Duplicate to Red. If neither one has duplicate parents and siblings, change the color of the Primary to Purple as you will not need to merge any family members after merge.

After you finish merging, check all Yellow people for duplicate family members.

I could change a merged person's color to a third color, say Lime. I use a third color when I have more than just one Primary and one Duplicate with the same name. If I have 10 John Smith's that will be merged into 5 John Smith's I need to know which John Smith's have been merged already. After merging all John Smiths, change the color of the remaining 5 John Smith's to Purple.

Merging is completed when everyone in the Group has the color Purple.

Duplicate merge:

Unfortunately, the Merge Duplicate Record screen doesn't show color coding so I would leave the lowest record number as is the default.

In most cases, the color coding after merge would be Purple or Yellow if I picked the line with the most low numbers to be Purple. I would still have merged people color coded as Red if the lowest numbered Primary person on the Merge Duplicate Records screen was from my Duplicates line.

So I would need to check the people who are still Red after finishing merging and change them to Purple it they are merged people. And check the Yellow people for duplicate family members who may need to be merged.

I would need to manually merge any people who were marked as Not a match on the Merge Duplicate Records screen or not picked to show up on the Duplicate Merge Record screen by my selections on the Duplicate Search screen.

If Smartmerge is used, the people left as Red will need to be checked to see if they are still Red because they had the lowest record number or RM was not able to make a certain match. And Yellow people will still need to be checked for duplicate family members.