• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 jcdrootsmagic

jcdrootsmagic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 09:45 AM

In the Place List screen there is an option to delete places, but not to add a place. Is there a straight forward way to do this? I see on this same screen that RM5 has the capability to handle unused places.

A backdoor way I have found to enter a to-be-used-later place is to add a dummy fact, enter the place data, save the fact, and then immediately delete the fact. The place will remain in the database as unused.

#2 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8526 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 12:39 PM

Your backdoor way is really the only way to add a new place. A place needs be linked to a fact otherwise it becomes a "unused place". If you GEDCOM or drag n' drop your database the unused places will not come with it.
Renee
RootsMagic

#3 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3443 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 05:04 AM

If you GEDCOM or drag n' drop your database the unused places will not come with it.

A small correction, if the place has been geocoded it will transfer by gedcom even if there are no individuals.

Sometimes I use dummy facts, sometimes dummy individuals as placeholders, they can easily be deleted later.

Customers should never be frustrated by things they cannot do.

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.6.2, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#4 Glenn

Glenn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 562 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 06:05 PM

Sometimes I use dummy facts, sometimes dummy individuals as placeholders, they can easily be deleted later.

Dummy indiv: Charlie McCarthy :lol:
Dummy fact: Slow witted
:huh:

Good real estate may be based on location, location, location;
but
good sources are based on citation, citation, citation!

Glenn