Photo

How to make a Global Sentence Template Change?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 bridgelover

bridgelover

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 12:19 PM

I am brand new to Roots Magic and was a Family Origins user. With FO, I was able to make global changes to the sentence structure in my narrative reports. Now that I've changed over to RM, the sentences in Roots Magic, particularly "occupation facts" read incorrectly. I am getting sentences like..he was a was a teacher. Or a sentence includes an "a" when none is needed in the sentence. I have over 10,000 names in my database. It would be near impossible to make changes to each individual person's data. Can't I make a global change for all people?

#2 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 01:29 PM

Go to the Lists - Fact type list and highlight the fact for which you want the sentence template changed.
Click on edit, then the principal and finally, Edit Role.

The default sentence template for the Occupation fact is:
[date] [person] was [Desc:A]< [PlaceDetails]>< [Place]>.

The Help menu, under sentence template language shows that if you change the :A to :Plain you won't get the extra "a"

So you might want to change the original template to:
[date] [person] was [Desc:Plain]< [PlaceDetails]>< [Place]>.
Alfred

#3 bridgelover

bridgelover

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 03:59 PM

Thank you so much for your post! It was just what I needed to fix my problem. :)

Go to the Lists - Fact type list and highlight the fact for which you want the sentence template changed.
Click on edit, then the principal and finally, Edit Role.

The default sentence template for the Occupation fact is:
[date] [person] was [Desc:A]< [PlaceDetails]>< [Place]>.

The Help menu, under sentence template language shows that if you change the :A to :Plain you won't get the extra "a"

So you might want to change the original template to:
[date] [person] was [Desc:Plain]< [PlaceDetails]>< [Place]>.

#4 ny845

ny845

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 12:18 PM

Like Bridgelover, I was a Family Origins user and found it so easy to edit fact sentence structure for Facts that I created. I recently added 'Passenger list' to my Fact list and there wasn't a sentence template to edit. Would like to create my own but cannot find info on how to do that. Can someone point me in the right direction? BTW, my program is NOT online, so I cannot access online help through the menu.
Thanks

#5 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 01:29 PM

Help - contents (or F1)
Search
Type in "Sentence" and press "Enter"
Double click the top one, "Sentence template language"
That gives you all the instructions but a bit daunting for non programmers.

It may be easier to start with an existing sentence, try going to the fact types list and Immigration or something and copy and paste that sentence template to your new fact, then use the help article to edit it to your liking.
Alfred

#6 ny845

ny845

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 01:37 PM

Oh well, the topic list was not displaying when I selected contents. Your response told me it had to be there, so I fiddled with the window and lo and behold, there it was!

Thanks so much for the hint.

#7 Nettie

Nettie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1508 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 01:23 PM

Because I have changed a lot of the sentence templates. I created an Excel file/tab typed each fact list item and then copied the template sentence that was there. When I make a change I go to my list and play with the figuration to figure out how I want the sentence template to read. If it is a replacement, I keep track of them by date also. Was a lot of work but was worth it, cause I discovered many of them did not have a sentence template, but really thought about that and realized it was my own creation and then removed them completely as I looked as how I could make the built ones work. Not all user created Fact List new ones will transfer in a Gedcom transfer. So more decisions to make...

Genealogy:
"I work on genealogy only on days that end in "Y"." [Grin!!!]
from www.GenealogyDaily.com.
"Documentation....The hardest part of genealogy"
"Genealogy is like Hide & Seek: They Hide & I Seek!"
" Genealogists: People helping people.....that's what it's all about!"
from http://www.rootsweb....nry/gentags.htm
Using FO and RM since FO2.0