4 replies to this topic

#1 A Descendant

A Descendant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 11:56 AM

The question I have i'm sure doesn't have a "right" answer, I'm just asking to see what others do.
I'm wondering how you cite documents that are sort of "duplicate?"

For example, suppose in researching a couples marriage, you find a marriage license, an original marriage register entry, and a later marriage register entry(one of those where they're reindexed by surname).

Another example would be finding a death certificate and a death register entry.

In both cases the different documents all come from one source technically would they not? That being the original document.

So, would you cite all these sources? If so, wouldn't that make for some pretty full source citation lists? If not, do you somehow make note that these other records exist in addition to the original or primary record?

#2 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 01:39 PM

I use a seperate Master source for each source. In the Source detail, I enter the data in the source that pertains to that individual and put a transcription of that data in the Research note.

I discuss any differences between sources in the fact note.

I can do a source report for that source and print the source details and see everyone's source detail in one place. Plus it prints in the Research note report.

If I only put the source detail in a fact note, I would have to search fact notes to find the source details and the Research note report would be basically useless.

I am not sure why how many Source details there are would be a concern given the amount of storage space on modern hard drives and flash drives.

#3 A Descendant

A Descendant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 02:00 PM

I use a seperate Master source for each source. In the Source detail, I enter the data in the source that pertains to that individual and put a transcription of that data in the Research note.

I discuss any differences between sources in the fact note.

I can do a source report for that source and print the source details and see everyone's source detail in one place. Plus it prints in the Research note report.

If I only put the source detail in a fact note, I would have to search fact notes to find the source details and the Research note report would be basically useless.

I am not sure why how many Source details there are would be a concern given the amount of storage space on modern hard drives and flash drives.

Thanks for your input! I like hearing how others use sources, etc.

I guess what i meant by a "full citation list" could be explained in the following. If i have a couple with say 10 children and i find, to borrow my first example, a marriage license, and 2 marriage register entries for each one, and they each list their parents name, if I used each one as a source i could end up with 30 source citations for the parents name! Now if I just used the "original" source, such as the marriage license, there would be only 10. I'm not sure how i handled that previously... for some reason since I started using RootsMagic i feel like i must get everything "just right", though i know that won't happen. :rolleyes:

When it comes to sources and master sources I guess i'm what is called a "lumper" - I prefer fewer Master sources.

#4 Nettie

Nettie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1655 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 02:18 PM

Thanks for your input! I like hearing how others use sources, etc.

I guess what i meant by a "full citation list" could be explained in the following. If i have a couple with say 10 children and i find, to borrow my first example, a marriage license, and 2 marriage register entries for each one, and they each list their parents name, if I used each one as a source i could end up with 30 source citations for the parents name! Now if I just used the "original" source, such as the marriage license, there would be only 10.

When it comes to sources and master sources I guess i'm what is called a "lumper" - I prefer fewer Master sources.

I do mine differently. If found a certificate or index list for a marriage or a death, I put it in until I get a copy of the certificate. If the dates abstracted to an index are identical with what is on the certificate, then the certificate source is used, and in the Details/Comment section I document that found an abstracted index first, dates matched/or did not match and where I found the information.

I did this because I do not use the proof standard and also want one source. I have a written research report that is not part of RM but is in a word processing package and it is documented there also. If I have a Bible and a court certificate, I use both, but not an abstracted index item...

Genealogy:
"I work on genealogy only on days that end in "Y"." [Grin!!!]
from www.GenealogyDaily.com.
"Documentation....The hardest part of genealogy"
"Genealogy is like Hide & Seek: They Hide & I Seek!"
" Genealogists: People helping people.....that's what it's all about!"
from http://www.rootsweb....nry/gentags.htm
Using FO and RM since FO2.0 

#5 ConnieS

ConnieS

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 03:09 PM

The question I have i'm sure doesn't have a "right" answer, I'm just asking to see what others do.
I'm wondering how you cite documents that are sort of "duplicate?"

For example, suppose in researching a couples marriage, you find a marriage license, an original marriage register entry, and a later marriage register entry(one of those where they're reindexed by surname).

Another example would be finding a death certificate and a death register entry.

In both cases the different documents all come from one source technically would they not? That being the original document.

So, would you cite all these sources? If so, wouldn't that make for some pretty full source citation lists? If not, do you somehow make note that these other records exist in addition to the original or primary record?

I do not cite indexes (or published abstracts) once I've obtained an original document. I cite such sources only as "place holders" until I can obtain the originals. However, in some cases, I've seen original marriage licenses, marriage bonds, and marriage registers (often with slightly different information), and in those cases I would cite all 3 types of original documents.