• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Steven Stuckey

Steven Stuckey

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 12:52 PM

How am I to enter a Birth, Marriage and Death Certificate when I have the certificate in my possession? I have my own birth and marriage certificates. I have my grandparentís marriage and death certificates. When I go to enter a source under details and sources for these RM5 does not offer me an option to put these in without knowing the reference and page number. The only thing I know to do is to note these certificates instead of sourcing them. Am I overlooking something? Thanks in advance for your help.

#2 Jack

Jack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 834 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 11:08 AM

Steven, I suspect that almost everyone has a favorite way to use various certificates. I use them by creating a Death Certificate (for example) source for each state that I deal with, fortunately not for all 50 so far!

I did this by making a copy of the Source Templet for Death Certificate, state level.

They all pretty much look like one another and I have modified the source structure to look like this:

Field Name Display Name Type D Hint
[Name] Name Text X the exact name of the deceased as it appears on the death certificate
[Jurisdiction] Jurisdiction Text X the city or state where the death occurred
[CertificateNo] Certificate No. Text X the death certificate number
[Date] Date Date X the day, month and year of death
[Agency] Agency/Creator Text the agency responsible for creating the record
[Repository] Repository Text who has the original document
[RepositoryLoc] Repository Location Place the place where the repository is located (city, county, state)

When I save the templet I named it Death Certificates - North Carolina (e.g.)

Then, when I enter a death fact and a death certificate is available to back up that date, I choose as a death source the appropriate state form that I created. I fill in the available info from the death certificate and then attach the death certificate to the death fact as a jpg.

I could have made one source that would fit every state. But, this is the way I started and I see no need to change now.

I hope the spacing holds up when I save this msg!

Hope this helps.

Well, spacing did not hold up. If you need more help, holler.

Edited by Jack, 21 April 2012 - 11:09 AM.

Jack

a posteriori

#3 Nettie

Nettie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1621 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 02:28 PM

Whether you have a copy of your own or parents certificate, they are still in state records file and you should document that like Jack has indicated. Which is the way I do it also. Then i n the Repository selection, I use the first one for where the certificate is stored via state/county and then in the second one I use my name as the repository and in the call box, but my own unique ID number so I can find it in my files. :)

Genealogy:
"I work on genealogy only on days that end in "Y"." [Grin!!!]
from www.GenealogyDaily.com.
"Documentation....The hardest part of genealogy"
"Genealogy is like Hide & Seek: They Hide & I Seek!"
" Genealogists: People helping people.....that's what it's all about!"
from http://www.rootsweb....nry/gentags.htm
Using FO and RM since FO2.0 

#4 IanS

IanS

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 05:56 AM

Hi Steve
it's as easy or as hard as you want it to be.
Here is the easy method. First can I explain the logic in entering sources. There are two parts to a source, the source itself (this can be a repository for census data, birth/death/marriage certificates or even a book or newspaper) and secondly the source details ie. the information that you want to save.
Assuming you have added a fact for the birth/death etc highlight this and click sources then add a new source. If you then go to add source in RM and scan down to Vital Records you will see an entry (Vital Records, local, certificates.) Use this and when you click this entry you will be confronted with a two part entry, Master Source and Source Details. Completion of this is I find very easy and you can scan your copy of the Birth cert and attach it to the Source details part of the record. This can be done by clicking the media tab and changing the box labeled source and details to details only before attaching the scan and saving.

Hope this all makes sence and good luck

IanS