5 replies to this topic

#1 Jim Belanger

Jim Belanger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 658 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 07:56 AM

The research manager is a great improvement for RM5. But, trying to enter data into it by looking for info in the database is honorous. We keep having to close the research manager, look up info in the database, open the research manager to edit, etc etc. This is a huge pain! Those of us who use two monitors can drag the research manager window to the "other" monitor and make entries but can't go back to the other monitor and look for things in the database.
JIM.B.NH

#2 Nettie

Nettie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1551 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 09:06 AM

Are you talking about the Research Notes in the Source Citation Manager? I have a form I use in word processing that I fill out first/if in Evernote then copy information over to the Research Notes.

Or are you talking about the To Do List in Research Manager?

I create my To Do List in Evernote [which is free, my electronic research file, To Do Notebook] first and then copy information to the To Do List in RM. [I can get to my Evernote notes on my cell phone quicker than RM]

Yes, I use a laptop and a second larger individual screen. Works well then. :)

I tried the way you are doing it, and yes it is a pain... Since I have Evernote, things have changed for me this way.

Genealogy:
"I work on genealogy only on days that end in "Y"." [Grin!!!]
from www.GenealogyDaily.com.
"Documentation....The hardest part of genealogy"
"Genealogy is like Hide & Seek: They Hide & I Seek!"
" Genealogists: People helping people.....that's what it's all about!"
from http://www.rootsweb....nry/gentags.htm
Using FO and RM since FO2.0 

#3 Romer

Romer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2053 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 11:04 AM

I'm guessing Research Logs. (See Lists > Research Manager.) Jim, is that correct?

#4 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3184 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 01:35 PM

We keep having to close the research manager, look up info in the database, open the research manager to edit, etc etc. This is a huge pain!

There are several features in RM that would benefit from the independant window approach, To-Do lists, Research Log, Media Gallery and Mapping all come to mind.

If one accepts second best then quite often that's just what one will receive

— Dag Hammarskjold

Current user of Rootsmagic version 7.5.7.0, Family Tree Maker 2014 and Legacy 7.5 on Win 10

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#5 ConnieS

ConnieS

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 10:00 AM

The research manager is a great improvement for RM5. But, trying to enter data into it by looking for info in the database is honorous. We keep having to close the research manager, look up info in the database, open the research manager to edit, etc etc. This is a huge pain! Those of us who use two monitors can drag the research manager window to the "other" monitor and make entries but can't go back to the other monitor and look for things in the database.

Are you aware that there is a button that automatically transfers a To Do item to a Research Log?

Otherwise, I'm not quite sure what you'd be looking up in the database? A Research Log should be kept concurrent with doing the research. I have chosen to go back on some families to my paper documents, including old paper research logs, and enter them in a sort of retroactive research log, but I don't need to refer to anything in the database to do that.

Although I agree that independent windows for most everything, not just research manager, would be helpful.

#6 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 7921 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 10:54 AM

Confirming enhancement request is in our tracking system.
Renee
RootsMagic