Photo

Narrative report printing extra birth fact using census sentence.

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 A Descendant

A Descendant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 02:32 PM

I have an unusual problem here. For some reason on one particular family in my tree when i go to a narrative report for this family the first fact which is the birth fact is a census sentence. Then its followed by the proper first sentence.
So, for example, instead of the first sentence being "Jane Smith was born in Maryland, on 6/10/1841", Its printing "Jane Smith appeared in the household of her husband, in the census 6/10/1841 in Maryland". THEN, the next sentence shows "she was born in Maryland, on 6/10/1841". And it does use the lowercase pronoun as shown here. So for some reason its doing a double birth fact, with one being a census.

It doesn't do it for the husband of the family, only the wife and certain children. And its only this family.

I have been experimenting with various census facts and this sentence that is printing is one of my custom fact sentences, but i was only working with census facts. I'm not really sure what i did to cause this. It seems to have happened after i added a census fact for 1860 census, as the problem didn't affect the one child that fact wasn't shared with. I deleted the census facts for the family but it didn't fix it.

Anybody have any ideas??

#2 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 03:06 PM

If it says that then you have the wrong date on the census.

But if the census date is correct, you probably do not have any other family facts listed for that family, not even a marriage fact.

I am assuming that the husband is the descendant if this is a descendant report, in the ancestor reports the husband is always listed first.

So, the husband's personal facts are listed, then the family facts and finally the spouse's personal facts. If the census is the only family fact then it will immediately precede the wife's birth date.

(Personally, I think there should be a paragraph break there, between the family facts and the spouse's personal facts, as there is between the first spouse and the family facts.)
Alfred

#3 A Descendant

A Descendant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 04:29 PM

If it says that then you have the wrong date on the census.

But if the census date is correct, you probably do not have any other family facts listed for that family, not even a marriage fact.

I am assuming that the husband is the descendant if this is a descendant report, in the ancestor reports the husband is always listed first.

So, the husband's personal facts are listed, then the family facts and finally the spouse's personal facts. If the census is the only family fact then it will immediately precede the wife's birth date.

(Personally, I think there should be a paragraph break there, between the family facts and the spouse's personal facts, as there is between the first spouse and the family facts.)

The census date was correct, and this family has a good bit of information. Anyway the problem didn't go away when i deleted the census fact.

It was printing the birth information at the very beginning in a census sentence, then following it with the proper birth sentence. The narrative report started with the husband, who was the one i put the fact on, then shared it with his wife and children. The problem didn't occur on the husband and I had been looking at narrative report at various stages before this and it was fine.

After thinking about it i think I figured out what I did that may have caused it.

I had created a custom census fact, with rolls for wife and children, and i had attached this to the principal (the husband) then shared it with his wife and the children who were with them in the census. Later i decided not to use this custom fact after all, so i deleted it from the Fact Type List, knowing that it would remove it from this family.

That seems to be what caused the trouble, as this unwanted beginning birth sentence is using the custom census sentence which i deleted. And this problem did not affect the 2 children who did not have the fact shared with them.

Hopefully I explained that properly.

#4 A Descendant

A Descendant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 04:37 PM

I have a copy of the database from several days ago. Would it be possible to remove the problem family from my database then merge just that family in from the older backup?

EDIT: I unlinked the wife (who was one of those affected by the problem) from the family then copied her over from the old database and relinked her and that seems to have fixed the problem for her part of the report. I guess i'll just have to do this for each of the children too.

Now i'm wondering why this happened. Shouldn't you delete facts from the fact type list that are in use?

#5 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 05:19 PM

I didn't see any double birth information, I saw that she appeared on the census with her husband on the same date as her birth date.

So I don't understand what is going on or where the problem is coming from.

Importing and merging another copy of that one family will probably only make things more complicated.

Without seeing your database I cannot guess what is happening. But, could it be that you have edited some sentence templates?
Alfred

#6 A Descendant

A Descendant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 10:10 PM

I didn't see any double birth information, I saw that she appeared on the census with her husband on the same date as her birth date.

So I don't understand what is going on or where the problem is coming from.

Importing and merging another copy of that one family will probably only make things more complicated.

Without seeing your database I cannot guess what is happening. But, could it be that you have edited some sentence templates?

Yes that's how it looks. That she appeared in a census when she was born.
But there is no fact that would create this sentence. It happened after I deleted the custom Census fact I had created, and it affected only those children with whom the fact had been shared.
So in their Edit Person screen the only fact with their birth date and place is their birth fact. The sentence for the birth fact is still correct and it prints after this sentence that appears to show someone in a census at their birth.

#7 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 11:35 PM

Backup your database and send me an email with that backup file attached.
Tell me which person(s) you are having trouble with and I will try to figure it out.

adeller@santel.net
Alfred

#8 A Descendant

A Descendant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 08:03 AM

Backup your database and send me an email with that backup file attached.
Tell me which person(s) you are having trouble with and I will try to figure it out.

adeller@santel.net

I sent the file.

FWIW, I created copies of both the problem file and the backup from several days ago, then (using these copies) I manually deleted each of the problem people and merged just those people in from the old file. This has fixed the problem on the narrative report, even though the facts on these people didn't change.
Perhaps you can find the problem in the original file but if not, would there be problems using this "fixed" file?

#9 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8363 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 03:45 PM

You might try File>Database Tools>Rebuild Indexes to see if it will resolve the issue.
Renee
RootsMagic

#10 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 09:17 PM

You might try File>Database Tools>Rebuild Indexes to see if it will resolve the issue.

That didn't seem to do any good.

The only thing I could figure out was to drag and drop to a new database, that seemed to fix the problem, but it lost 44 unused places, 4 MM items and 88 citations.
The 44 places were listed in the unused places list.

I will have to leave it up to the SQL people to do any more with it.
I am too old and dense to learn a new programming language.
Alfred

#11 A Descendant

A Descendant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 07:27 AM

That didn't seem to do any good.

The only thing I could figure out was to drag and drop to a new database, that seemed to fix the problem, but it lost 44 unused places, 4 MM items and 88 citations.
The 44 places were listed in the unused places list.

I will have to leave it up to the SQL people to do any more with it.
I am too old and dense to learn a new programming language.

Thanks for your help Alfred. I dragged and dropped to a new database. There doesn't seem to be any trouble with the place list that i can tell. As for multimedia items and citations i was reworking those anyway.
I supppose the moral of the story is to DO A BACKUP FREQUENTLY! I should've known better... :rolleyes: Now departing to backup my database!

EDIT: Oh, I see now you meant it lost the unused places. That's totally fine as I delete them anyway.