5 replies to this topic

#1 Kim W

Kim W

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 01:00 PM

I just noticed on my iPhone in my GedView app there are no marriages reported (marriage is not even there). I was wondering if anyone else has the same problem?

#2 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 01:22 PM

I do not use either, but the only reason I can think of where it would be a problem from a gedcom from RM 5 is if the marriage fact was not checked to export to gedcom at Lists, Fact type list.

#3 Kim W

Kim W

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 06:21 PM

I do not use either, but the only reason I can think of where it would be a problem from a gedcom from RM 5 is if the marriage fact was not checked to export to gedcom at Lists, Fact type list.

Just checked, and it is checked for Gedcom. Any other thoughts would be appreciated!

#4 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6436 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 07:16 PM

Look under the Family heading for the person. The Husband or Wife label should show "m. Date in Place".

Tom user of RM7630 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#5 Kim W

Kim W

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 08:43 PM

Look under the Family heading for the person. The Husband or Wife label should show "m. Date in Place".

Thank you! I was looking under events and saw birth and death and couldn't figure out why marriage wasn't there. I haven't used GedView in a while.

#6 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6436 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 07:58 PM

GedView's support for RM-specific GEDCOM customizations has improved as of Oct 21. It now handles shared events, after a fashion, converting them to an ordinary event for each individual sharing the event. That is not reversible, I.e., I don't know of a tool with which one can convert coinciding single events to shared. However, for those who are concerned about maintaining compatibility with third party software, GedView might prove to be a useful intermediary allowing one to take advantage of shared event functionality within RM AND not lose them in the other app. Of course, it would be great if RM provided a shared event splitter as an export option (Renee ;-)

Another RM feature supported is what it exports in the GEDCOM custom _PLAC tag. The latest upgrade now properly handles geographical coordinates. And it ties in with iOS mapping.

GedView is not just a GEDCOM reader as might be inferred from its name; you can also edit, including adding and deleting persons, facts, images, video, audio. It is pretty weak as a GUI, very much a text app, but, I dare say, probably quite usable on iPhone and iPod. That said, it is more powerful than the free RootsMagic Reader promised for Christmas.

I have not made much use of GedView in the past and may not in the future but I can see how one might use it in conjunction with RM. RM's the Master, export full or selective GEDCOM according to one's field research interests, download to GedView for the field work, send its revised GEDCOM to a new RM database for review, cleanup and subsequent transfer to Master.

Tom user of RM7630 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.