Photo

"Gleaning" census data - how do others do it?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 A Descendant

A Descendant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 05:21 PM

I am curious as to how others use/input census information.

It was my practice in FTM16 to use the census as a source for names, birth dates and places, occupations, residences, etc. That is, I created facts for these things, using the census as a source, or I sourced facts i already had created. Naturally I end up with many alternate birth dates and names variations, and the possibility for several other facts per census.

Now that i've moved to RM5 and am changing (and hopefully improving!) some of my methods, i'm beginning to see how this could end up looking very complicated and redundant in a narrative report.
So i'm just wondering, what do you do with census data? Where do you put it all?

#2 Jack

Jack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 834 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 07:51 PM

Up until 1940 I entered the census as a fact and then extracted pertinent info to a census fact note. I do that mainly to document the state/county/district presence of the family as a whole. I include children as well as the occupation of all family members who have a job. I also use the census to more-or-less confirm approximate birth years if I do not already know that date as a fact.. For 1940 I do essentially the same except that I am also saving the census image and attaching it for future reference.
Jack

a posteriori

#3 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3367 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 09:41 PM

Some users treat the census as a fact. Some users treat the census as a source. Some users do both. There are a lot of variations on how users treat the census.

As a fact, the census will appear in narrative reports however you enter it, for example as an individual fact with or without a note which might possibly be a transcription or as a family fact with or without a note which might possibly be a transcription.

As a source, the census might be a source for a birth fact or for an occupation fact or for a marriage fact, or as a source for any other fact that you can extract from a census. And in particular, the census usually serves as a source for a census fact when you use the census as a fact.

Census images can be linked to facts or to sources or to both. Census images linked in this way do not appear in narrative reports, nor is the presence of the links acknowledged in narrative reports. But the links can be very useful to you as a researcher.

Images linked to sources may be linked to a master source or to source details or both, essentially to the "source" or to the "citation", using the more old fashioned terminology.

Jerry

#4 Nettie

Nettie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1607 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 09:47 PM

Up until 1940 I entered the census as a fact and then extracted pertinent info to a census fact note. I do that mainly to document the state/county/district presence of the family as a whole. I include children as well as the occupation of all family members who have a job. I also use the census to more-or-less confirm approximate birth years if I do not already know that date as a fact.. For 1940 I do essentially the same except that I am also saving the census image and attaching it for future reference.

I also use the census as a fact for each individual that is listed in the census record found. Also use it like Jack says to document the place/location/date [date on p of census record] of the family. The only time I use the census [in 1900 census record] as a source for another fact, like birth [month/year] is when it is documented in the census record. I use abt in front of month/year until I find other proof that this is a valid date.

Edited 14 Apr
My sentence templates are: Sentences are in quotes;
Census: <[date]> census, <[person]>, <[desc]>, was living <[placeDetails]>< [place]>.
"On 30 Aug 1850 census, she, age two with her parents, was living in Pendleton County, Kentucky."
Census Family: <Date>, census <[couple]>, <[Desc]>,were living <[PlaceDetails]>< [Place]>.
"On 20 Aug 1850 census, Oliver Miles "O.M." DeCourcy and Isabella Belt, he age 40 she age 30, were living in Newport, Campbell County, Kentucky."
added Fact
Census Missing: <[Date]>, census <[Person]> was not found in <[Desc]>< [PlaceDetails]>< [Place]>.
"On 18 Jun 1860 census, she was not found in parents home in Knoxville, Pendleton County, Kentucky."

Would like sentences to read "On the 18 Jun 1860 census record" But when you put The in front of the date it reads "The on " Figured it out. Will be like this: The <[Date:plain]> census record says,

Genealogy:
"I work on genealogy only on days that end in "Y"." [Grin!!!]
from www.GenealogyDaily.com.
"Documentation....The hardest part of genealogy"
"Genealogy is like Hide & Seek: They Hide & I Seek!"
" Genealogists: People helping people.....that's what it's all about!"
from http://www.rootsweb....nry/gentags.htm
Using FO and RM since FO2.0