• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Kurt S

Kurt S

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 12:37 PM

Be great to have a back button. I may be working on a person (Smith) and need to check a fact about someone else (Baker). Now I've got to figure out how to get back to that Smith entry. With 1500 people in the db, that's a pain.

Thanks!

Kurt

#2 Romer

Romer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2056 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 02:00 PM

Try also Closest you can currently get is the History tab in the Sidebar. You can also use Search > Back (or Ctrl+Left keyboard sequence) and Search > Forward (or Ctrl+Right).

#3 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 02:46 PM

Customize the toolbar with the back button. Thete is also a forward button.

Yoi can open RM Explorer, check the fact for Baker. Cancel Explorer, and you will still have Smith in your screen.

#4 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3487 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 08:35 PM

Customize the toolbar with the back button. There is also a forward button.

Correct, so this wish list item is the fastest one ever implemented because it was implemented even before it was wished for. :D However, I wish to make a couple of additional comments.

The Back button and the Forward button work from the History list that you can see in the History Sidebar. I've long felt that the History Sidebar is much less functional than it could be because it so easily gets cluttered up with redundant and/or irrelevant entries. I really like the History Sidebar, to the extent that I simply don't use the Index Sidebar because the Index Sidebar is one of the chief culprits in cluttering up the History Sidebar. Instead, when I need the functionality of the Index Sidebar, I use instead the old way of doing it by scrolling the index on the left side of the screen in RM Explorer. Doing it that way does not touch the History List until and unless you do a Select from RM Explorer.

Wish list items have been submitted with suggestions for uncluttering the History Sidebar, and I very much support those wish list items. However, with the current design of the History List and the current design of the Back and Forward buttons, simply uncluttering the History List would render the Back and Forward buttons largely meaningless. To unclutter the History List and also to maintain the integrity of the Back and Forward buttons would require some careful thought and design. It might require the presence of two History Lists - one that is exactly like the current History List except that it would be invisible to everything but the Back and Forward buttons, and the other that would be an uncluttered History List that would appear in the History Sidebar.

Jerry

#5 Kurt S

Kurt S

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 09:37 PM

I never realized the sidebar had tabs. Even knowing that they exist, they still are not obvious.
And RM Explorer isn't called that anywhere until you open the search screen. That took some looking to realize.
But with the history tab and the buttons now on the toolbar, I'm set!

I still think the program could be improved by:
- adding the Back / Forward buttons as defaults on the toolbar.
- visually clarifying the sidebar tabs.
- having the Back button work with the 5-button mouse.

Thank you for your help!
Kurt

Kurt

#6 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8375 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 11:56 AM

Confirming enhancement requests are in our tracking system.
Renee
RootsMagic

#7 A Descendant

A Descendant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 05:00 PM

Customize the toolbar with the back button. Thete is also a forward button.

Yoi can open RM Explorer, check the fact for Baker. Cancel Explorer, and you will still have Smith in your screen.

Are you saying we have the ability now to add a back and forward button to the toolbar? Id love to know how, i really miss that from FTM16!

Nevermind I figured it out!

#8 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 06:32 PM

There were forward and back toolbar buttons for the History list in version three but I do not see them in four or five.

I think you will have to settle for using the Search menu and "History" which brings up a History list in the sidebar or the forward or backward buttons there.

(OR the Ctrl left or right arrows to move around the history)
Alfred

#9 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 06:50 PM

Highlight an icon on the toolbar and right click.

Choose Customize

Choose Commands

Click on Search

Drag and Drop the Back icon onto the toolbar where ever you want it.

The Customzie screen must be opened before you can make changes to the toolbar.

Go to RM Help, Search and search for toolbar to find articles on the various things you can do with the toolbar. Check out Adding a Custom Toolbar. Surprisingly, having several custom toolbars takes up less room on the one toolbar row than having just one toolbar with all the icons in it.

We have been able to add Back and Forward to the toolbar since RootsMagic 1, and before that, in Family Origins.

If you put the History icon on the toolbar and click on it, it opens the History tab in the Sidebar. Clicking on the Bookmark icon on the toolbar does nothing so that is a bug.

Bookmarks, History, Back and Forward can also be accessed in the Search top menu. Back and Forward can also be used by typing keyboard commands, CTRL+left and CTRL+right.

#10 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 09:05 PM

OH FOR DUMB! :o (That's not right, it should be "Oh for MY stupidity")

I saw all of those menu names and thought it was for editing the menu, not the toolbar.

After Laura splained it to me I tried again and see that each or the menu items has a whole bunch of icons I can put on the toolbar.

I think I will stick with the [Ctrl]+arrow or the sidebar anyway.
Alfred

#11 Glenn

Glenn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 562 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 12:18 PM

. . . After Laura splained it to me . . .

Shades of Desi & Lucy for those of us who are chronologically advantaged, eh, Alfred? :lol:

Good real estate may be based on location, location, location;
but
good sources are based on citation, citation, citation!

Glenn